dna testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dna testing

I read the kinds of testing and it sounds like male lines can be tested and female lines can be tested. I have a line that I am told the surname is passed on by all males for 150 years. At that point the surname was passed on by a female instead of what today is sometimes called a non-support paying deadbeat dad. Before then males passed on the surname for several more generations back at least. The surname is the same for over 200 years. If what I have been told is accurate, is there any test that can jump that gap at 150 years back? Would the mtDNA test do it?

The mtDNA won't do it since the mother's son received her mtDNA and his dad's Y-DNA, but then, the son's son received his Y-DNA, which was his father's (unrelated to the surname) and the son's wife's mtDNA (also unrelated to the surname). Depending on what you want to achieve, the only way to go would be to find a descendant of that female's brother or cousin (son of that female's father's brother). ...
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I will be able to do that yet, at least not until I can spend a lot more time digging. Her father was born about 1801. I don't have any of his siblings or his parents yet. He was born here so I think I'll get them, eventually. But it doesn't look like dna is going to be an option for a while unless there is some other more involved test, or refinements and improvements to the current techniques and technology which I think I'll probably see.

Comment

Perfectly understandable. That's exactly why we always say that DNA is just another tool to be used with conventional genealogy research.
        Max Blankfeld
        Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
        A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Working...
        X