DNA scrapings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA scrapings?

I have a dead relative (dead about one year) and of course his daughters now would like his DNA sampled. They have his safety razor with some whiskers still intact in the blade area. Can these be used to determine his Y DNA for a possible match to some of our other testees? woudl the cost be the same?

Re: DNA scrapings?

Originally posted by ronlud
    I have a dead relative (dead about one year) and of course his daughters now would like his DNA sampled. They have his safety razor with some whiskers still intact in the blade area. Can these be used to determine his Y DNA for a possible match to some of our other testees? woudl the cost be the same?
    Questions:
    a) Did he only have daughters?
    b) If that's the case, did he have a brother - still living - or nephews?

If he had a brother or nephews and the line is confirmed to be the same, then one of them can have their Y-DNA tested. If the razor blade is the only alternative, they may try tracegenetics.com to extract the DNA and send it to us for Y-DNA analysis.
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Re: Re: DNA scrapings?

Originally posted by max
      Questions:
      a) Did he only have daughters?
      b) If that's the case, did he have a brother - still living - or nephews?

If he had a brother or nephews and the line is confirmed to be the same, then one of them can have their Y-DNA tested. If the razor blade is the only alternative, they may try tracegenetics.com to extract the DNA and send it to us for Y-DNA analysis.
      Yes he had three daughters only and was 94 when he died. I will try to find a nephew as his only brother, also deceased, had family.
      If that won't work we will try the tracegenetics site.
      Ron

Comment

Working...
      X