Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unusual Y chromosome result

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unusual Y chromosome result

    My father has just got back his 25 marker Y chromosome results, and they seem pretty unusual (e.g. DYS393 value is 11) - I can find no similar results in Y chromosome databases.

    How can I find out what haplogroup he is in, and what the implications are for ethnic origin etc.

    Thanks very much.

  • #2
    A DYS393 value of 11 is extremely rare. In a marker analysis I did back at the beginning of the year there was only one instance of this value out of 1,386 participants examined.

    Comment


    • #3
      He also had a value of 12 at DYS388, which I believe is also very rare (although I may be wrong there).

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by freeal
        He also had a value of 12 at DYS388, which I believe is also very rare (although I may be wrong there).
        Yes - sorry, I was wrong there!

        Comment


        • #5
          Dys393=11

          My DYS393 value is also 11. I'm also curious if that marker signifies a particular ethnic group.

          cc

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by freeal
            My father has just got back his 25 marker Y chromosome results, and they seem pretty unusual (e.g. DYS393 value is 11) - I can find no similar results in Y chromosome databases.

            How can I find out what haplogroup he is in, and what the implications are for ethnic origin etc.

            Thanks very much.
            One marker by itself, even a rare marker result, doesn't tell us very much. For anything insightful to be said about the haplotype, we'd have to know all the marker values. First of all, this would allow us to be able to predict what's the haplogroup. In fact, FTDNA has probably already made a prediction for the haplogroup, which you can find by clicking on the "Haplogroup" tab on your FTDNA personal page.

            If you haven't done so yet, you should upload the marker results to ysearch, where everybody can see it and do searches for similar haplotypes. In the meantime, you can just post the results for the 25 markers in this thread. Then we can say more about it.

            Mike Maddi

            Comment


            • #7
              Dys393=11

              Mike,

              FTDNA has me as a RIB1 so I didn't think that DYS393=11 meant anything in isolation. I was, however, curious since I have only one match (25/25) and no other close matches. I tested 67 markers and am awaiting my overdue SNP results.

              CC

              1 393=11
              2 390=24
              3 19=15
              4 391=11
              5 385a=13
              6 385b=14
              7 426=12
              8 388=13
              9 439=12
              10 389-1=13
              11 392=13
              12 389-2=30
              13 458=14
              14 459a=9
              15 459b=9
              16 455=11
              17 454=11
              18 447=26
              19 437=15
              20 448=18
              21 449=30
              22 464a=14
              23 464b=14
              24 464c=14
              25 464d=16

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ccrider
                Mike,

                FTDNA has me as a RIB1 so I didn't think that DYS393=11 meant anything in isolation. I was, however, curious since I have only one match (25/25) and no other close matches. I tested 67 markers and am awaiting my overdue SNP results.

                CC

                1 393=11
                2 390=24
                3 19=15
                4 391=11
                5 385a=13
                6 385b=14
                7 426=12
                8 388=13
                9 439=12
                10 389-1=13
                11 392=13
                12 389-2=30
                13 458=14
                14 459a=9
                15 459b=9
                16 455=11
                17 454=11
                18 447=26
                19 437=15
                20 448=18
                21 449=30
                22 464a=14
                23 464b=14
                24 464c=14
                25 464d=16
                Is your surname Humphreys or Humphries? Plugging in your 25 marker values on ysearch shows a perfect match with 2 people with those surname variations. One has 67 markers, so that may be a good approximation of what you will see in your full 67 marker haplotype. Take a look at their haplotypes at http://tinyurl.com/ybkkws

                There is nobody else who matches you at a genetic distance of 6 or less. You have an unusual haplotype for an R1b, so if you are not either of those two people, I'm betting they're related to you fairly closely. Here are some of your unusual markers, with your marker value, then the R1b modal:

                393 - 11/13
                19 - 15/14
                385a - 13/11
                388 - 13/12
                459b - 9/10
                447 - 26/25
                448 - 18/19
                464a-d - 14-14-14-16/15-15-17-17 (As you can see, your values for this multi-copy marker are unusually low. I have 14-15-15-15 and I find it hard to match any other R1b with that.)

                I'd be interested to hear what your SNP results turn out to be.

                Mike

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MMaddi
                  There is nobody else who matches you at a genetic distance of 6 or less. You have an unusual haplotype for an R1b, so if you are not either of those two people, I'm betting they're related to you fairly closely.
                  At ySearch, apart from the two Humphries matches, the next closest folks are a genetic distance of 11 or more, but with no real geographic clustering that I can discern.

                  Click Here to view results at ySearch

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Dys393=11

                    Humphreys is my 25/25 match. The other two matches are me. After what you told me regarding the unusual markers for R1b1, I'll be curious to see if FTDNA keeps me in the same haplogroup. I'll let you know what my SNP results are.

                    Thanks for the help.

                    CC

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ccrider
                      Humphreys is my 25/25 match. The other two matches are me. After what you told me regarding the unusual markers for R1b1, I'll be curious to see if FTDNA keeps me in the same haplogroup. I'll let you know what my SNP results are.
                      ySearch can actually be a quite effective haplogroup prediction tool: if all of your closest matches (whatever the distance) are the same haplogroup then you can be confident that you fit that haplogroup too.

                      All of your closest matches are R1b1 (including a Humphreys), and at least one is R1b1c which implies a SNP test for that participant.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ccrider
                        Humphreys is my 25/25 match.
                        He is SNP-confirmed as R1b1, according to the R1b Project:

                        http://www.ftdna.com/ftGroups_score_...ICWEBSITE=TRUE

                        He may or may not be R1b1c as well.

                        While looking around at your nearest neighbors, I noticed this other unusual R1b fellow:

                        DXATE of Venezuela
                        Except for 3 Puerto Ricans 1 step away, his nearest neighbor at 37 markers is 19 away
                        Athey's predictor gives Q=31, J=17, R1b=16
                        He has 3 Yhrd matches in New York City and Pennsylvania (all Hispanic)

                        The fact that he has no matches in Spain itself makes me wonder whether some European R1b got to the New World thousands of years ago.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Dys393=11

                          Were you referring to me or Humphreys? I haven't recieved any SNP results as of yet.

                          CC

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ccrider
                            Were you referring to me or Humphreys?
                            I was referring to your 25/25 match. Take a look at the hyperlink I posted. I think he's listed first.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Nearly one of a kind

                              Originally posted by freeal
                              My father has just got back his 25 marker Y chromosome results, and they seem pretty unusual (e.g. DYS393 value is 11) - I can find no similar results in Y chromosome databases.
                              Yeah, that is really really rare. Out of curiosity, what's his surname?

                              Also, maybe you can check with the lab that did the results and ask for a recount. Maybe there's a dangling chad somewhere.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X