Female seeking father's lineage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female seeking father's lineage

What kit would I use to find out my father's maternal lineage? My father's father's history is known, however his mother remains a mystery - she's dark, he's blond, blue-eyed.

As my father is not willing to be tested, I'm wondering if I may be tested. Being that I'm female, is there such a test? If not, would a DNA Print show that ancestry? I already know my maternal history, and so I could subtract that out, I'm supposing, to get an idea of what my paternal grandmother might have been.
    Thanks, Cathie

Cathie,
    To test your father's maternal lineage, since he does not want to be tested you would need to test a sister, if he has one, or aunt, or niece (from his sister side)
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Great idea, but none of those female relatives is available for testing.
      Is my best bet a DNAprint?
      Is the DNAprint actually a more comprehensive test being that, (should I understand the process correctly) a mtDNA test would ONLY test for females along that line - any male ancestors would be excluded, and same for the Y-DNA test - only male ancestors with the exclusion of female ancestors?
      Last edited by Cathie; 20 August 2003, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathie
        Great idea, but none of those female relatives is available for testing.
        Is my best bet a DNAprint?
        Is the DNAprint actually a more comprehensive test being that, (should I understand the process correctly) a mtDNA test would ONLY test for females along that line - any male ancestors would be excluded, and same for the Y-DNA test - only male ancestors with the exclusion of female ancestors?
        DNAPrint is not a lineage test that will be able to respond to your needs.
        Max Blankfeld
        A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Max,
          I have just begun to investigate the technology of ancestral tracing through DNA - I know next to nothing about it - maybe you could tell from my questions. Please forgive my ignorance, I'm really searching for understanding of how it all works. I found your company's name in a local article, and so I contacted you since you seem like a reputable source.

Could you please tell me more about DNA Print, and why you feel it wouldn't meet my needs? And given the information/background I've given you, could you please steer me towards a test (if not the print) that would ultimately be my best bet? I understand I may not be able to get a full profile, but in your professional opinion, what at this point should I consider?
          Thank you, Cathie

Comment

Re: Female seeking father's lineage

mtDNA is derived from the mitochondria, which are present in the egg from which you developed - so it comes from your mother only. So your mtDNA will tell you nothing about your father's side of the family.

To investigate his side of the family I'm afraid you will need to locate somebody descended from his mother - or her mother before her. All her children have inherited the same mitochondria (they don't need to be female), and she would have inherited her mother's - as would any of her siblings, male or female (or talk to your father about testing again!)

Comment

freeal, Thank you for your detailed, clear response. I appreciate it.

Well, I'll just go ahead and say that my father and I, along with all of his relatives, have no relationship; there is virtually no way someone from that side of the family will be tested. So, considering this, I'm wondering what I myself can do to find clues regarding his ancestry (I already know about mom's). That is why I thought the DNAPrint would be the best test for my situation. Am I right to think the DNA Print would be able to provide clues to both my mother and father's ancestry?
              One more question: I have a brother from same parents as me. There is a far-outside chance he'd be willing to be tested. If so, could I trace my paternal grandmother's lineage through him?
              Please answer on the DNAPrint, as I believe I will be the only one ultimately willing to be tested.
              Thank you in advance for your response - I appreciate your time.
              Cathie

Comment

freeal, Thank you for your detailed, clear response. I appreciate it.

Well, I'll just go ahead and say that my father and I, along with all of his relatives, have no relationship; there is virtually no way someone from that side of the family will be tested. So, considering this, I'm wondering what I myself can do to find clues regarding his ancestry (I already know about mom's). That is why I thought the DNAPrint would be the best test for my situation. Am I right to think the DNA Print would be able to provide clues to both my mother and father's ancestry?
                One more question: I have a brother from same parents as me. There is a far-outside chance he'd be willing to be tested. If so, could I trace my paternal grandmother's lineage through him?
                Please answer on the DNAPrint, as I believe I will be the only one ultimately willing to be tested.
                Thank you in advance for your response - I appreciate your time.
                Cathie
                Cathie, I am certainly no expert, just love this whole subject. The problem with the Print test would be that it's going to test a sample of your whole DNA ... you have gotten half from each parent, a fourth from each grandparent, etc., and the test won't tell you what came from which line. And if blood lines are very small, they might not be picked up at all (some of us with known or suspected Native American ancestry have had this problem). Mostly you wouldn't know what in that test result had come from your Dad's mother's side of the family.

I'd suggest that rather than try for known cousins, trace that family line like you would any other genealogy project and find a cousin you can prove with a paper trail who would be willing to have the mtDNA test - and maybe a male descendant of your Grandmother's father who would have the Y-DNA test. That way you could learn a lot about that family line without having to convince potentially unfriendly immediate family to take the test.

Is there a surname project already in existance for that surname? You might check their web site and if lineages are posted, you might find a cousin who has already had the test.

Good luck!

Kay

Comment

Wow, thanks for that. Too bad it's my dad's mother's father (and mother) that I'm interested in! It's like a zig-zag... Here goes another question: Now if my brother took the Y-DNA test, would that show male and female ancestors on our father's line, or only the male ancestors (ie: our father's father, and his father's father...). I'm asking because I'm wondering if there's a way to find out both lines of ancestry regarding my paternal grandmother in a single test.
                  Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me on this continued quest, Cathie
                  Last edited by Cathie; 25 August 2003, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Wow, thanks for that. Too bad it's my dad's mother's father (and mother) that I'm interested in! It's like a zig-zag... Here goes another question: Now if my brother took the Y-DNA test, would that show male and female ancestors on our father's line, or only the male ancestors (ie: our father's father, and his father's father...). I'm asking because I'm wondering if there's a way to find out both lines of ancestry regarding my paternal grandmother in a single test.
                    Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me on this continued quest, Cathie
                    Hi Cathie,

Your brother's Y-DNA would show your father's father's line, and his mtDNA would show your mother's mother's, etc. line. If he had the Print test it should come out about like yours would and would just be a mix of both of your parents families.

You can do this traditionally tho and hopefully find more distant but provable cousins to take the tests. You will need two or more tests this way. You'll just need to find your Dad's Mother's brother's son or grandson (son of a son) for the Y-DNA... and your Dad's Mother's sister's daughter or granddaughter (daughter of a daughter) for the mtDNA. This could go on forever. :-) If your wanting to determine your Grandmother's ethnic background, you might look for children from two of her siblings and have them take the Print tests.... but at that point you would have to "weed out" all the other lines they would have coming into their own ancestries. For the print tests, do get the oldest person in that line that you can - if your Grandmother has a living sibling, they would be better than their child (who has another whole side of their DNA) or their grandchild (who has another 3 lines coming in that you aren't interested in.)

If any of you experts here see anything wrong with my ideas, please jump in. I would never pretend to be any kind of expert in this!

Kay - [email protected]

Comment

Kay, Thanks for this reply. I really appreciate all of you who have taken a minute to explain the details to me... It's becoming clearer! Unfortunately, my paternal grandmother was an only child. There's the outside chance I could get my dad's half brother (same mom) to do a mtDNA, with the chance something interesting will show there; however, the real mystery person I want to unravel is my paternal grandmother's father. Hmmmm. Seems the best route may be process of elimination, if I were to have my half-uncle do the mtDNA test, then myself take the DNAPrint (I know what my mother's ancestry is)

Can someone please tell me how many generations back will ancestry show on a DNAPrint?
                      Thanks again, Cathie

Comment

Kay, Thanks for this reply. I really appreciate all of you who have taken a minute to explain the details to me... It's becoming clearer! Unfortunately, my paternal grandmother was an only child. There's the outside chance I could get my dad's half brother (same mom) to do a mtDNA, with the chance something interesting will show there; however, the real mystery person I want to unravel is my paternal grandmother's father. Hmmmm. Seems the best route may be process of elimination, if I were to have my half-uncle do the mtDNA test, then myself take the DNAPrint (I know what my mother's ancestry is)

Can someone please tell me how many generations back will ancestry show on a DNAPrint?
                        Thanks again, Cathie
                        DNAPrint normally can trace 4 major bio-geographical groups up to about 6-7 generations ago.
                        The groups are, in alphabetical order:
                        -African
                        -East-Asian
                        -Indo-European
                        -Native-American
                        Max Blankfeld
                        A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Thank you Max!

Comment

Working...