X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GregKiroKH2
    replied
    Originally posted by burto
    How do you know which ethnic groups are dependent on which markers? Are there patterns with certain ones? Are there particular marker scores that are strongest in Europeans and Native Americans (in fact every ethnic group so others can look for patterns too)?
    I am unsure of specific details.

My first assumption is to use the laws of genetic segregation to follow each allele to a population.

Since most people married within their population, there would be specific locus characteristics of a population.

Admixed people should have some locus of one population, some locus of another population, and some of both populations.

When testing a restricted set of alleles, admixed populations ought to produce results that do not match with another test of a different restricted set of alleles.

And this is what I see with my data, and the few other sets I have looked at.

Population 1 -AA (A includes group mutations)
    Population 2 -BB (B includes group mutations)
    Admixed Population
    AP Group 1 - AA
    AP Group 2 - BB
    AP Group 3 - AB
    AP Group 4 - BA
    AP Group 5 - AM
    AP Group 6 - MA
    AP Group 7 - BM
    AP Group 8 - MB
    AP Group 9 - MM (M includes new mutations)
    Last edited by GregKiroKH2; 27 October 2006, 05:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• burto
    replied
    Originally posted by GregKiroKH2
    With admixed individuals, results seem to depend upon with which markers are used for the readings.
    How do you know which ethnic groups are dependent on which markers? Are there patterns with certain ones? Are there particular marker scores that are strongest in Europeans and Native Americans (in fact every ethnic group so others can look for patterns too)?

Leave a comment:

• GregKiroKH2
    replied
    With admixed individuals, results seem to depend upon with which markers are used for the readings.

Leave a comment:

• burto
    replied
    So what exactly is the point of these tests then? I keep saying this because you think you've found something relevant then other people tell you it could mean A, B, C or D it's just not good enough in my opinion.
    Tribes say this, ABDNA say something else. Who do we trust? I have heard that ABDNA's methods use more stable "ancient" markers whereas Tribes use ones that have only recently have come about and are more generic. If this is the case then I will take ABDNA as more valid. There are too many weird Tribes scores and even Omnipop and RCMP results are different to theirs. ENFSI is bizarre too....the British Isles are at the bottom of my list which is just inaccurate. The only pattern I can find with Omnipop and RCMP is white with approx. 15% Native Americn or Hispanic, but how accurate is that?
    It has left my Mum and myself feeling totally in the air and confused, we are no better off.
    Last edited by burto; 26 October 2006, 11:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    The EA could have a single or multiple sources. Tribes blog archive has item stating they see evidence of an ancient EA signature in western Europe including the UK.

Leave a comment:

• burto
    replied
    So one parent can't be responsible for the whole 11% then? I know that Mum's Mum's history is firmly rooted in England so don't see how it can come from her. The ABDNA literature also says that it is not found in Western Europeans. So it must be from her Dad?

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    If your mother got 11% EA then her parents - your grandparents - had 22% EA and her grandparents - your great grandparents - had 44% EA.

However -

All those %'s are merely nominal. Any ancestor might have had the EA score while the other had none. Or any pair of ancestors may have shared EA heritage. And the score does not tell you when EA entered your family.

Leave a comment:

• burto
    replied
    I noticed on the Trace Genetics site that the ABDNA 2.5 test is marketed as showing your ancestry within the last 5 generations, so if that is the case then one of Mum's Great Grandparents must have been of East Asian (I use that loosely ) descent OR I guess two of them could have been mixed to get 11%.

Leave a comment:

• belovedwisdom
    Guest replied
    20% Native American Ancestry

I received my results of the Ancestry By DNA test last week. The results say that I am 80% Sub-Saharan African, 20% Native American. Since both percentages are greater than 10%, can I assume that this is fairly accurate? I had suspected for years that I had Native American ancestry (my maternal grandmother has told me stories about a great great grandmother whose ancestry might have been Native American), but I didn’t expect the percentage to be that high. My MtDNA results put me in the L0 haplogroup, which is not Native American. Perhaps there is Native American ancestry on my father’s side as well.

Leave a comment:

• haplogroupc
    replied
    Originally posted by Maria_W
    I was told by the people at ABDNA that you had to have at least 10% or greater of an ethnic group to be considered accurate. It doesn't mean you can't be Native American, if you have less than 10%. This is where they feel comfortable, their cutoff level. Excuse me!
    Yeah, that's right. I meant to say below 10 percent. I worded it wrong. And yes, just because that one test doesn't give you a percentage of a specific ancestry doesn't mean you don't have that ancestry. That test is only good for looking at your most recent ancestry, like your grandparents'. I've seen alot of people complain because they don't get a percentage of an ancestry they know they have from their great grandparents. And also, because DNA is so random, it's possible for a more recent ancestry to not show up on the test.
    Last edited by haplogroupc; 17 October 2006, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    Barely made it.

Even with all my verified Native American information, I just barely made the 10%.
    Maria

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    10% or greater!

I was told by the people at ABDNA that you had to have at least 10% or greater of an ethnic group to be considered accurate. It doesn't mean you can't be Native American, if you have less than 10%. This is where they feel comfortable, their cutoff level. Excuse me!

Leave a comment:

• haplogroupc
    replied
    By the way, the first time I took the Ancestry By DNA test, I got 5 percent East Asian. I thought one of my parents was East Asian so I had them take the test to see which one but neither of them got any East Asian. So I took the test a second time and this time there was no East Asian. It was all Native American, 60 percent. It's kind of like what happened with the DNA Tribes test. The first time around I got alot of East Asian scores but on the update they disappeared.

Leave a comment:

• haplogroupc
    replied
    Where does it say that AncestrybyDNA only goes back 5 generations. That makes a big difference.
    Maria
    I haven't read the website lately but at the beginning they explained that the Ancestry By DNA test only goes back a few generations. It doesn't measure ancestry before that. The percentages work like this:

50 percent from each parent
    25 percent from each grandparent
    12.5 percent from each great grandparent

So if one parent is 100 percent European, you would get 50 percent European on the test. If your other parent is 100 percent Native American you would get 50 percent Native American. But since autosomal is random, you might not get exactly 50 percent from each parent. It's possible to get more or less of something from each one. If you had a great great grandparent that was full blooded something, like Native American for example, it might not even show up on your test at all.

From what I remember, very low percentages, like 10 percent or below are not considered accurate. You have to have a grandparent that is full blooded to take it seriously. This formula may have changed since then.

Leave a comment:

• burto
    replied
    Burto.
    Where does it say that AncestrybyDNA only goes back 5 generations. That makes a big difference.
    Maria
    Well I've seen a few people making references to their scores being because of so and so etc. reading their manual it could be 5 generations back or ancient which I get for the 2.5 test but DNAP are suggesting that the Euro test is ancient?
    I also noticed that they say that a typical European displays 1.5 East Asian and 3.75 admixture overall as noise...so does that mean for a score of 11% in reality it would be 7.25%?
    Interesting that they acknowledge that certain Native groups display East Asian instead. They also say that Russians and Eastern Europeans display "a few percent" East Asian....to DNAP 10%+ is "considerable" so according to that this 11% East Asian is higher than a typical Eastern European person..so maybe that can be discounted?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X