Where to test for DNA Genealogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to test for DNA Genealogy

Where can I get a DNA Genealogy test? I am interested in finding what my blood line matches. i.e. whether or not I am of Jewish descent.
    I would like to know which tests are recommended in order to find out this information.
    Thanks

Originally posted by orlando
    Where can I get a DNA Genealogy test? I am interested in finding what my blood line matches. i.e. whether or not I am of Jewish descent.
    I would like to know which tests are recommended in order to find out this information.
    Thanks
    I assume from your screen name you are a male. I recommend you test with FTDNA and that you begin with at least a 37-marker y-dna test. If you join a surname project, you can get a discount on the price of the test.

A y-dna test will give you information on your male line, father-to-son, straight back to the Stone Age.

An mtDNA test will give you your female line, mother-to-daughter-to-you, also back through the dim mists of time.

DNA testing is not of much use for lines other than those two, I'm afraid. It is possible to test other lines, however, if you know your relatives and they will agree to test. My own y-dna is R1b1c, for example, yet I know of two of my lines in which the males are I1a and another one in which they are R1a. That's because relatives of mine in those lines have been tested.

Jewish ancestry is difficult to establish without a paper trail, since Judaism is primarily a religion and has been more or less open to converts throughout its history. There are a number of y-haplogroups that are more prevalent among Jews than some others, e.g., J1, J2, and E3b, but there are also many Jewish R1as and R1bs, as well.

I am not familiar with the mtDNA haplogroups that prevail among the Jews.

I have been very pleased with the work of FTDNA on my behalf, so I recommend it.

Whatever test you choose, good luck in your quest!

Last edited by Stevo; 30 September 2006, 07:09 PM.

Comment

There are no uniquely Jewish haplogroups. Stevo has identified some of the most common ones among Jews but most members of these haplogroups are not Jewish. Other haplogroups sometimes found among the Jewish population include G, I1 and Q. It is possible that at the subclade (fine branch) level there might be unique branches but very few Jews would belong to these subclades.

Comment

Uses the word "interestingly."

With regards mtDNA, the Genographic Project describes "K" as being a haplogroup whose members have 3 of the 4 founding Ashkenazi Jewish liniages https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/...hic/atlas.html

When you get to the website, look under "genetic markers" and press Mitrochodrial K.
        Last edited by Andrew M; 1 October 2006, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X