X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vineviz
    replied
    Originally posted by rivergirl
    On the other question. SMGF do offer a coupon for a reduced rate with Relative Genetics, so you can send in your kit to SMGF, and use the coupon, abt 40% reduction on a 26 marker test with Relative Genetics. I presume you will get your results back a lot quicker than the free SMGF test.
    The discount you get with Relative Genetics due to submitting a sample to SMGF is the same discount you'd get for having already been tested by FTDNA.

I submitted a sample to SMGF in June, and I expect it will be a year or more before my data show up in their database. Even then, the results may or may not include markers different from the ones I already have from FTDNA: SMGF are under no obligation to test every sample for every marker panel.

Relative Genetics, on the other hand, had my results done in just a couple of weeks. If you are already a FTDNA customer, the cost of the 26 marker is $95. http://www.relativegenetics.com/rela...onversions.htm.

The RG 26 marker test includes five of the markers not offered by the FTDNA 37 marker test and the RG 43 marker test includes all ten.

A VERY small minority of folks do tests with both companies, so don't expect any help on random matches. I count just 240 or so 42 marker results in ySearch versus nearly 12,000 37 marker results. But I'm happy I did it, and can certainly say I've been very happy with Relative Genetics.
    Last edited by vineviz; 24 September 2006, 12:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• darroll
    replied
    [QUOTE=rivergirl]What happens if your long dead ancestor is quite happy in his Catholic, Anglican, Baptist etc.. Heavan, and doesnt want to go to Mormon Heavan. I can just see my pig headed Catholic family screaming all the way......
    They have totally messed up Genealogy (See World Family Tree).
    Now they are in the process of messing up DNA research records.
    I really feel sorry for the adopted people.
    These folks have their tests and the results of some web sites are hidden.
    Good for Y-Search.
    If you want a new genealogy site,that is unbiased see below.

Leave a comment:

• rivergirl
    replied
    Originally posted by R2-D2
    I think the catch with Sorenson is that it is a Mormon thing and they might want to baptize your dead relatives. Mwa ha ha ha (evil laughter) Seriously though, they believe in that. I've seen stuff on the LDS website where they did there sealing stuff to some of my Plymouth Colony relatives. Maybe they should ask the permission of the other descendants of people before they start doing their ceremonies.
    What happens if your long dead ancestor is quite happy in his Catholic, Anglican, Baptist etc.. Heavan, and doesnt want to go to Mormon Heavan. I can just see my pig headed Catholic family screaming all the way......

On the other question. SMGF do offer a coupon for a reduced rate with Relative Genetics, so you can send in your kit to SMGF, and use the coupon, abt 40% reduction on a 26 marker test with Relative Genetics. I presume you will get your results back a lot quicker than the free SMGF test.

Leave a comment:

• R2-D2
    replied
    Originally posted by Eki
    I was thinking, FtDNA 37 marker test doesn't include DYS markers 441, 444-446, 452, 461, 462, 463, 635, GGAAT1B07 and YGATAA10 but Sorenson database does http://www.smgf.org/index.jspx .

The Sorenson DNA test is free (except they require a 4 generation pedigree) but they don't give you the results personally, just put you in their searchable database. Now, if you have your FtDNA results and enter them to the Sorenson database you will probably come up with your own surname, pedigree and the marker values including the afore mentioned markers, right?

Is there a catch I have ignored, or is this a good way to get the missing markers free (except for the pedigree)?
    Since the merger of FTDNA and DNA Fingerprint they are working on offering some of these other markers that you mention through FTDNA. You can go on DNA-F now and get some of those individual markers. I think its just under $7 per marker. I have 67 markers in at FTDNA and they do test for 444 and 446. DNA-F also tests for 434, 435, 441, 445, 461, 462, 463, 635, 643, GATA A10, GGAAT 1B07, 725, and DYF 371, DYF 385, DYF 397, DYF 399, DYF 401, DYF 408, DYF 411, DXYS 156.

I think the catch with Sorenson is that it is a Mormon thing and they might want to baptize your dead relatives. Mwa ha ha ha (evil laughter) Seriously though, they believe in that. I've seen stuff on the LDS website where they did there sealing stuff to some of my Plymouth Colony relatives. Maybe they should ask the permission of the other descendants of people before they start doing their ceremonies.

Leave a comment:

• s trangsrud
    replied
    Originally posted by Eki
    I was thinking, FtDNA 37 marker test doesn't include DYS markers 441, 444-446, 452, 461, 462, 463, 635, GGAAT1B07 and YGATAA10 but Sorenson database does http://www.smgf.org/index.jspx .

The Sorenson DNA test is free (except they require a 4 generation pedigree) but they don't give you the results personally, just put you in their searchable database. Now, if you have your FtDNA results and enter them to the Sorenson database you will probably come up with your own surname, pedigree and the marker values including the afore mentioned markers, right?

Is there a catch I have ignored, or is this a good way to get the missing markers free (except for the pedigree)?
    My SMGF results were finally posted a couple weeks ago. I sent my sample in 14 months ago. It is a good way to go, if you don't mind the year or more wait.

And yes, to get your results, you Search with values from your FTDNA test.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Same universe.

Leave a comment:

• Eki
    replied
    Originally posted by tomcat
    If you are cross-testing at SMGF and FTDNA you might get the extra markers values although they may only mean something in the SMGF universe.

The 4 generation pedigree rule is not iron-clad. SMGF will waive -

"We need a four generation chart from all participants except in certain
    circumstances. If the individual has ancestors born prior to 1900 in the second or third generation, then the person can participate without the four
    generations. The other exemption is if the person has an ancestor born outside of the United States in the second or third generation. That person can also participate without four generations. If any of your relatives fall under these two categories, they can participate with what you have. If they don’t, we encourage you to continue working on your pedigree information and they can participate when they have that information. If you need more clarification, these rules are explained on the back of the pedigree chart."

Tom
    I think they also mean something in the Relative Genetics universe:

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    If you are cross-testing at SMGF and FTDNA you might get the extra markers values although they may only mean something in the SMGF universe.

The 4 generation pedigree rule is not iron-clad. SMGF will waive -

"We need a four generation chart from all participants except in certain
    circumstances. If the individual has ancestors born prior to 1900 in the second or third generation, then the person can participate without the four
    generations. The other exemption is if the person has an ancestor born outside of the United States in the second or third generation. That person can also participate without four generations. If any of your relatives fall under these two categories, they can participate with what you have. If they don’t, we encourage you to continue working on your pedigree information and they can participate when they have that information. If you need more clarification, these rules are explained on the back of the pedigree chart."

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Eki
    started a topic DYS 441, 444-446, 452, 461, 462, 463, 635, GGAAT1B07 and YGATAA10

DYS 441, 444-446, 452, 461, 462, 463, 635, GGAAT1B07 and YGATAA10

Working...
X