X-Testing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Testing.

Considering X chormosome testing. Does anyone have any experience with it. What does it tell you. I see that DNA Fingerprint offers 2 panels.
    Panel one has :
    DXS10011, DXS10066 Penta X-15, DXS10067 Penta X-12, DSX10068 Penta X-13, DXS10069 Penta X-16. Price 47.12.
    Panel 2 has:
    DXS981, DSX6807, DXS7132, DSX7423, DSX8377, DSX10074, DSX10075, DSX10079, DSX10132 X-17, HPRTB. Price 62.00

My question is how do I order ? and from who? I that FTDNA bought Fingerprint out. I had or may still have a sample with FTDNA when they did my mtDNA. Would apprecaite any comments. Have a nice day. Maria

Ordered the X panels - results slowly coming-in - can't figure how to run the X-db at DNA-F. The FAQ on DNA-F site says X-db will be moving to FTDNA. Hope that happens sooner rather than later.

Any interest in a Native American X Project?

Tom

Comment

Would that be The X-Files?

Tom.
      Yes, count me in. Great idea. How did you order it? What site did you go to, can you order it straight off of Fingerprint and did you have to redo your sample. I am just waiting for instructions on how to do it. Please help! Plus you said that they were slowely comming in. Doesn't come at one time. Would you please give us an idea of what we will get. Maria

Comment

Thomas Krahn talks about X-STR here and here. I have the impression that the linked markers DXS10074 / DXS10075 / DXS10079 is the most interesting one and that these have great potential for biographic use because they move together as a block trough the generation without recombination. The power can be seen as if it was available 3 autosomal markers that moved together in a similar block, but instead of only one marker with one alleles moving at random from each of the parents imagine you had tree loci moving together as a block, it would be much easier to differentiate the geographical patterns than with one loci and one allele as we have with our autosomals today. The loci within the block would mutate and behave as a normal Y-STR but its movement pattern trough the generations would not be a straight line, I dont know if it follows a predetermined pattern like Y-STR.

Noaide

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat
          Ordered the X panels - results slowly coming-in - can't figure how to run the X-db at DNA-F. The FAQ on DNA-F site says X-db will be moving to FTDNA. Hope that happens sooner rather than later.
          How long time did it take from you made a order to the first marker result appeared? How is it delivered? By email or into your DNA Fingerprint account?

Noaide

Comment

Geographic X on Y-paternal line

Originally posted by Noaide
            How long time did it take from you made a order to the first marker result appeared? How is it delivered? By email or into your DNA Fingerprint account?

Noaide
            Hello,
            That's what I was waiting for.If I understand it well... it could be possible to trace my grandmother
            on the paternal line "GEOGRAPHICAL"?
            For the moment my samples are at the Lab for upgrading 37 to 67.
            I'll wait till then and shall follow you later in the Fingerprint-test.

Thanks for the info..
            Nas

Comment

Originally posted by nas
              Hello,
              That's what I was waiting for.If I understand it well... it could be possible to trace my grandmother
              on the paternal line "GEOGRAPHICAL"?
              I have no idea how this x-linked block move trough each generation, the problem seem to be each female generation where the female pass on X from both her mother and father, from who will this block come from? The 3 loci "haplotype" inside the block keeps stable as a normal y-str, but the blocks travel trough each female generation I have no idea about if it follows a predictable pattern like male-female-male and so on.

Anyway this x-linked block of tree loci should be tracable to regions whatever pattern it might have followed trough the generations. Thomas Krahn have a little database of it plus a research paper for Germany were they investigated these particular tree loci mentioned earlier.

Noaide

Comment

Way over my head.

Thank you for responding but I am at kindergarten level and you are at high school level. Please explain it in simplier terms. Don't understand any of it. Way over my head. Maria

Comment

How and where?

Could anybody answer my orginal question. I orginally sent my sample to DNA Fingerprint for DNA Tribes. Will they use my same sample on file? I know Fingerprint does it but how do I order it from them? Their page isn't easy to figure as far as ordering. I have only ordered the Native Panel and the Basic Plus kit and 3 updates from DNA Tribes! I have never dealt with Y markers but from what Tom says it sounds like it comes in like y markers. It will take me a while to read Rootswebs X markers posts to understand it. Maria

Comment

I make a try.

The block is the linked X-STR loci: DXS10074 / DXS10075 / DXS10079

When I say "block" I mean that they almost always stay together. The likelyhood of them beeing split up by recombination is very low, same probability as it would happend for a Y-STR block.

This is opposite to our unlinked 13 autosomal loci, they do as far as I know do not move together in block because they are not linked to any other loci, but come randomly to you from your parents who got it from their parents and so on.

How this X-STR block is herritaged I have no idea, but it cant pass down two males in direct line because males only get it from their mother.

Males herritage a set of their mothers X, females herritage X from both their mother and father who they give to their offspring, maybe 50/50 from her father and her mother. So as far as I know the X-STR block for a man come from his mother, but we dont know if she got it from her mother or her father.

If anyone known this to be wrong please notice us!

Noaide

Comment

I read up on it.

Thank you Noaide . Still confused but I will read about X in Rootsweb genealogy and see if I can figure it out.

Tom since you ordered it, I would appreaciate it if you would tell me how to order it from Fingerprint. Have a nice day Maria

Comment

Maria,

The sample you submitted for Tribes resides at DNA-F because DNA-F does the labwork for DNAT. You need only email DNAT and tell them you wish to waive the confidentiality agreement with DNAT to release your sample to DNA-F. Then go to DNA-F site and pickup their PriceList.pdf. You can order via PayPal. Payment information is on last page of .pdf. As part of your PayPal order you can specify your DNAT Kit# and the X-Panels you want. You will want both of your x-chromos tested.

Noaide,

The first X-markers came-in in about two weeks, have to check whether they complete yet. I ordered late July.

Comment

From Polish DNATribes thread, page 2 & 3

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by burto
                          So as a female, I have two X's..one from my maternal Grandmother and the other from who? My maternal Grandfather?

You got one X from your father and one X from your mother.

Your father got his X from his mother (your paternal grandmother), who had two - one from her father and one from her mother (your paternal great-parents on the grandmother's side). Due to recombination it is most likely that the X your father received and contributed to you is a composite of your paternal, grandmother's side, great-grandparents' X's.

The X chromosome you got from your mother, who had two - one from her father and one from her mother (your maternal grandparents) likely recombined but contains genetic signatures of your maternal great-grandmother on the maternal grandfather's side and signatures of both maternal great-grandparents on the grandmother's side.

As a female your two X's have representation from three of your four grandparents and five of your eight great-grandparents.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Russ Lipton
                          Tomcat - my limited understanding has been that I would learn nothing more from having my mother's DNA tested than mine (e.g., my having done a MT-DNA plus test). If I understand you, my mother's DNA will (or could, ultimately) reveal additional information because of the two X's.???

Yes, your single X is a composite of your maternal grandparents and your mother's two X's are composites of each of your two maternal great-grandparental lines. Again as per above, to usefully X-test a woman you need a way to sort-out from which line each X descends.

And per above, to embark on such a project at this point in time is to be something of a testing pioneer because unlike Y and Mt there isn't a great deal of field data or a phylogenetic tree to which one can relate results - there isn't a story like 'seven daughters of eve' etc. You and your mother, and anyone with multi-generational x-results can make an important contribution.

X-testing is going to be HUGE. It is a readily available avenue to get information on those genealogical lines between Y and Mt. It is much more certain than autosomal testing because it is focused, results are attributable and X conserves information longer than the autosome.

Predicting the future is risky but I am impressed with how FTDNA's Mt database has grown in the past year. When I took my first Mt test there were only twenty entries in my haplogroup and now there are six-times as many.

Comment

So if this is correct we can conclude that the X linked block described above do for a male come from his mother and there is a 50/50 chance that the X linked block come from your mother father or mothers mother?

Noaide

Comment

X STR test

Hi
                              I just heard from Thomas Krahn who said that the ordering website for these tests ( individual markers) will be up here at FTDNA in a few days..I have bugged him trying to order so I am first..

Comment

Working...
                              X