The Autosomal Zone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marvallen
    I don't believe that I ever said that the testing was worthless, and whether it is or isn't wasn't my point. I just disagree with the interpetive aspect as currently applied to genealogy. I have not seen any convincing evidence of progress in the past year in improving this "state of interpative analysis".
    THAT is YOUR job. You evidently SEE that autosomal test are not perfect dipstick tests that immediately RESOLVE issues of ancestry. So, what can one reasonably MAKE of their results? THAT IS what the discussion IS ABOUT in these threads. Albeit NOT the thread that your cabal started.

Comment

Do you know FILLIBUSTER?

I am completely content to type the time into this thread FOREVER. Or until one of your troika COMES CLEAN.

Are you all on the dole from FTDNA? Is the point to kill X and At testing?

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat
        Do you WANT to yank THEIR chain? Just keep on posting to this thread started by Stevo and seconded by Marvallan and MMaddi and all their subtle and informed ventilations on the alphanumeric salad of Y (which belong in the Y thread NO ONE reads) will relentlessly disappear into the netherworld of UNREAD posts.

Its always about power, unless its about money.
        Hey Tomcat,

This was a year-old thread with a few posts, started by Stevo. Then Maria W decided to revive it, for what reason I don't know. (Perhaps power, according to your theory of posting on this board.) So we don't have the right to post in reply, to present the other side of the story??!! I guess we've figured out a way to increase our power by having READ posts - just state some elementary facts about autosomal testing and our posts will get read. Oh, I feel so very POWERFUL now!

I'm not sure what your problem is, but I believe that people new to genetic genealogy should be presented with all the opinions about all forms of testing, including how useful they may be for each individual's genealogical research needs. Maybe the power trip is yours because you think you're the one who can tell everyone what their autosomal results mean.

For the record, I've posted before that if I ever won the lottery, I'd probably order the autosomal tests, just out of curiousity as to what it would tell me. I don't have unlimited funds and autosomal testing will tell me nothing about what I need to know to break down my brick wall. Hopefully, the "autosomal thought police" won't object too much to me stating that simple fact.

Comment

THAT is YOUR job. You evidently SEE that autosomal test are not perfect dipstick tests that immediately RESOLVE issues of ancestry. So, what can one reasonably MAKE of their results? THAT IS what the discussion IS ABOUT in these threads. Albeit NOT the thread that your cabal started.
          Cabal? Yes, we're members of the Trilateral Commission and we're going to take over this board and banish anyone who even thinks about autosomal testing to re-education camps. (Don't get upset, that was sarcasm, not an actual plan to be carried out.)

Tomcat, you need to get a grip on yourself!
          Last edited by MMaddi; 7 September 2007, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Do you know FILLIBUSTER?

I am completely content to type the time into this thread FOREVER. Or until one of your troika COMES CLEAN.

Are you all on the dole from FTDNA? Is the point to kill X and At testing?
            FTDNA does offer autosomal testing - check the advanced orders menu, if you haven't done so since they started offering it in November. And if we're in a cabal, run by FTDNA, out to stop autosomal testing or discussion of it, why would your posts even be allowed on FTDNA's message board? Some rinky-dink cabal!

I actually do plan to test my x chromosome and maybe even pay for my sister to test hers, if she will, to compare with mine. From what I hear, there are some good prospects for using x testing for genealogical research. It won't be as good as yDNA and mtDNA because of the recombination factor, but you can trace an x line in a family tree and have some idea from which ancestor the results came.
            Last edited by MMaddi; 7 September 2007, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Geez!

I am too tired and depressed to fight this out. I said that I was sorry. Maria

Comment

Tsk, tsk, tsk. It is all about space above the fold. It is all about having YOUR post on YOUR favorite topic at the top of the page (because no one reads). And while that post may deserve EVERYONE'S attention, unfortunately, there seem to be more committed posters on issues autosomal than there are on issues dear to the hearts of Marvallan, MMaddi and Stevo.

Just ask yourself; what IS IT that these detractors of autosomal testing wish you to do? The only answer is; they do not want you to post. So this is not about freedom of speech it is about YOUR according primacy to the above, because anything you have to say about autosomal testing is worthless, because autosomal testing is worthless.

Simple.
                I quote myself. I hate to do it but sometimes a re-citation is called for ...

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi
                  ,,,Maybe the power trip is yours because you think you're the one who can tell everyone what their autosomal results mean...

Have i done that? Or, where's the proof/

Comment

I quote myself. I hate to do it but sometimes a re-citation is called for ...
                    And Tomcat says that I'm the one on a power trip, posting just so that people will read my posts. I think he needs to look in the mirror!

Comment

In trying to follow some of the logic(?) in previous posts, I've come to the conclusion that someone needs to clean out their pipe and change there smoking materials....

Comment

In my case I tested with AncestryByDna because I wondered if I could have 2% or 3% of Mongolian or Hun ancestry on my fathers side. I am 1/4 Czech. I had read that many East Europeans get 10% East Asian on their tests. Since I'm 1/4 East European (or Central Euro, cold war is over), I thought maybe a small 2.5% would show up on my test. My result was 83% European, and a whopping 17% Native American.
                        I then tested with DNA Tribes because I wanted to know what 'tribe' I was descended from, but I have NO Amerind matches. However, most of the matches I do have match my known ancestry on my mothers side, even the distant Swiss & Syrian. If DNA Tribes can pick up distant Syrian & Swiss they surely must be able to pick up 17% Native American, but they picked up nothing. I have no Amerind matches.
                        My mom had zero Native American.
                        The 17 % Native American result of mine means that AncestryByDna says that my white paternal grandmother is actually mostly Amerind. My paternal grandmothers family has been in New York & New Jersey for nearly 400 years, of Dutch/English (& French names of Latourette & Bruneal) .
                        DNA Tribes matches me to Flemish, which is the same thing as Dutch.
                        *if you are wondering, I already had a paternity test years ago.

Top 20 matches

Portugal
                        Central Portugal
                        Northeast Spain
                        Portugal (yes, again)
                        Denmark
                        Flemish
                        Ireland
                        Piemonte, Italy
                        Bosnian Mountain Villages
                        Syria
                        Morocco
                        Flemish (yes, again)
                        Northern Ireland
                        Dundee, Scotland
                        Flemish (Belgium)
                        Switzerland
                        Glasgow, Scotland
                        Southern Tunisia
                        Extremadura, Spain
                        Lille, France

Last edited by rainbow; 9 September 2007, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Actual numbers...

Would you mind telling us what your actual numbers are?

Maria

Comment

Autosomal results

I just got my autosomal results except for two markers on Friday and here are my results with ENFSI:

1. Denmark 1.13E-11
                            2. Estonia 6.61E-12
                            3. Czech Republic 5.37E-12
                            4. Portugal 3.98E-12
                            5. Sweden 3.29E-12
                            6. Netherlands 3.04E-12
                            7. Poland 3.02E-12
                            8. Germany 2.92E-12
                            9. Austria 2.74E-12
                            10. Norway 2.70E-12
                            11. France/Lille 2.67E-12
                            12. Spain 2.65E-12
                            13. North Ireland 2.44E-12
                            14. Ireland 2.43E-12
                            15. Scotland/Glasgow 2.38E-12
                            16. Slovenia 1.97E-12
                            17. Croatia 1.79E-12
                            18. Italy 1.73E-12
                            19. France/Toulouse 1.68E-12
                            20. England/Wales 1.35E-12
                            21. Finland 1.25E-12
                            22. Belgium 1.10E-12
                            23. Scotland/Dundee 1.01E-12
                            24. Switzerland 6.95E-13

I thought I was German and Norwegian!

Comment

Originally posted by LernerTzvi

- I have three Jewish grandparents that originate from Poland/Ukraine/Russia, and one non-Jewish grandparent from Germany. For my Omnipop results, here is what I scored based on the Jewish database: [Jewish (52) 2.30E+14]. Does this mean I am not closely related to the Jews in the database?

- Portugal/Hispanic appears to be common in my results for Omnipop and ENSFI. I have no tradition of my recent ancestors living in Spain or Portugal. The only possibility for this is Jews fled to Eastern Europe after the Spanish Expulsion in 1492 and married Ashkenazis. Or my non-Jewish German grandma has other heritage that I don’t know about.
                              Your results are similar to my mom's results. She got several Portugese and Polish matches as her top scores in Omnipop. She also has 1 Andalusians. These are also the scores she gets in DNA Tribes. I suspect Jewish ancestry on her maternal side because her mother's surname supposedly originates in Israel. Maybe you're right about the Sephardic and Ashkenazi Jewish connection. Maybe they really were originally from Spain and they fled to Eastern Europe or vice versa for my family.

Comment

Autosomals serve some purpose

Originally posted by Stevo
                                Has anyone noticed a trend in this particular forum?

Maybe its name should be changed to The Autosomal Zone?

Personally, I don't have much faith in autosomal testing.

It's only good for a few generations back, and the results seem contradictory and, frankly, bizarre.

I am sure I will be castigated for saying that, but that's my opinion, anyway.
                                I don't think you should get so upset. I don't see autosomal DNA transplanting the main forms of DNA,but it enlightens and is another facet of DNA research. I need to ask some autosomal questions,but you don't have to ask or read them,if you feel it doesn't apply to you.DNA should be used to answer you questions-one of mine was what is my racial content,how much of each tribe I have? I thought of that question,no one forced me.My inquiring mind wants to know-I wanna know what I have. It's Science.

Comment

Working...
                                X