Tribes scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about Tribes Scores

I don't really know what you all are referring to, when you talk about Tribes Scores. What testing company does that?

I have a harder time trying to figure out the origins of my mtDNA and Y-DNA than I do of my other immediate ancestors. For example, I am 1/4 Austrian. My mother's father was born in Steyr, Upper Austria (I forget the exact date - late 1800's). I even heard it said that my grandfather and Adolf Hitler were classmates in nearby Linz! But who will ever uncover the truth? And my father's mother seems to be rather straight forward (1/2 Norwegian & 1/2 German). But the two testable threads - mtDNA & Y-DNA are a puzzlement.

Comment

• Originally posted by PDHOTLEN
      I don't really know what you all are referring to, when you talk about Tribes Scores. What testing company does that?

I have a harder time trying to figure out the origins of my mtDNA and Y-DNA than I do of my other immediate ancestors. For example, I am 1/4 Austrian. My mother's father was born in Steyr, Upper Austria (I forget the exact date - late 1800's). I even heard it said that my grandfather and Adolf Hitler were classmates in nearby Linz! But who will ever uncover the truth? And my father's mother seems to be rather straight forward (1/2 Norwegian & 1/2 German). But the two testable threads - mtDNA & Y-DNA are a puzzlement.
      It's DNA Tribes at www.dnatribes.com

If you take the test, please let us know your results. My top score was Austrian. I know very little about my European ancestry so it would be interesting to see what someone with Austrian ancestry gets on the test.
      Last edited by haplogroupc; 9 March 2007, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Interesting link

This link is interesting..I found it on the rootsweb site:

http://www.newstimeslive.com/news/story.php?id=1033910

About Hungary and NA..

Comment

• That's interesting. If true, then perhaps some NA folks will also get matches
          in Hungary/ and or Finland/Estonia for the same reason (cf Lumbee).

Comment

• Hmm..I did not even think about it that way but you are right..maybe that is the story with the Lumbee sample..

Comment

• Tomcat
              I recently posted about my low scores on this forum and you suggested I write to DNAtribes. Well I did and here is what they wrote:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your results. Your own match scores are within the ordinary range for North American individuals. This ordinary range can include lower scores and higher scores within any ethnic group, and reflects individual variation within larger populations."

"As we continue to add new populations, we are able to refine world region definitions to reflect this new data. In some cases, this can impact results. Generally, ranking of region and population matches will change little, but absolute match scores can change to reflect our overall database"

Now, does this tell me anything? Am I missing some detail because I really don't understand the response. What do you think?

PBJ

Comment

• Originally posted by PBJ
                Tomcat
                I recently posted about my low scores on this forum and you suggested I write to DNAtribes. Well I did and here is what they wrote:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your results. Your own match scores are within the ordinary range for North American individuals. This ordinary range can include lower scores and higher scores within any ethnic group, and reflects individual variation within larger populations."

"As we continue to add new populations, we are able to refine world region definitions to reflect this new data. In some cases, this can impact results. Generally, ranking of region and population matches will change little, but absolute match scores can change to reflect our overall database"

Now, does this tell me anything? Am I missing some detail because I really don't understand the response. What do you think?

PBJ
                The responses are always kind of oblique and subject to interpretation..
                I think I asked the same question and was told that this:

"Scores observed for your DNA profile are within the normal range. Some individiduals can obtain higher or lower scores, because each population and region contains a normal (bell curve) range and distribution of scores. "

My highest score was Salishan and was in the 30s I think..not as low as yours but........
                Kathleen

Comment

• D19S433 & D2S1338

Hello ;I ve received more no. s from FamilyTree ,only two ,but will show ,These are my initial no. s D3S1358-15 ,18 , TH01- 9.3,9.3 ,D21S111-29,30 , D18S51-14,16, D5S818- 10 ,12 , D13S317-12,13 , D7S820-11,11 , D16S539- 11,14 , CSF1PO- 11,13 ,vWA- 16,16 ,D8S1179 -14,15, TPOX 11 ,11 ,FGA - 20,25 ,& these are the two latest ,I m still waiting for more from Batch 186 , D19S433 - 13,14 , D2S1338-17,24 .Any comments appreciated ,thank you ,Kat. !

Comment

You are correct, this tells you nothing, except that you are 'normal' for a North American. (Are you a North American?). It does 'invite' you to stick-around for an update when Tribes' algorithm is updated but without promising that your results will change via an update.

I judge the communication neither elucidating, reassuring nor promising. But, curiously, I FEEL apologetic. And I have no reason to apologize for your results from Tribes. Nevertheless, I am sorry.

Have you tried Omnipop or ENFSI?

Comment

• Tomcat,
                      I am glad that you suggested I write them because I felt that something was not quite right. No need to apologize,you tried to help me.
                      It seems that they have their "standby" responses and I'm just a click away from a response. I will probably continue to update but not so frequently. It can get expensive. Thanks for your support.

Kathleen,
                      You are right about my low scores. After each update they get smaller and smaller. I think I will cease to exist if I keep updating

PBJ

Comment

• curiosity getting the best of me

Hi again,

After getting my autosomal panel 1 results and having an analysis done with DNA Tribes, i'm trying to decide if i should take the plunge and re-test with DNA Tribes so that i can include the Native American panel. My pocketbook is saying no but curiosity is getting the best of me. i got the autosomal panel 2 with FTDNA pending.

A week or so ago i inquired about my low percentages (though not as low as yours PBJ!) and was told "your match scores for your own DNA profile are within the ordinary range for people of European and/or partly Native American ancestry."

Meanwhile i reviewed the new DNA Tribes statistics on Amerindian Admixture. Though i show no Northeast Amerindian, my Mestizo world region and individual Mestizo populations are prominent and my Northwest European score 0.73. My dad talked about his maternal gr grandfather being part Native American though i've never been able to prove it. i've been trying to figure out other family Hispanic/Mestizo possibilities - but it seems a mystery.

So... now i'm wondering if taking the Native American panel would be a step forward and how helpful others have found it. i know we're all different - just trying to ration this out.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
                        Jodee

Comment

• Originally posted by Jodee
                          So... now i'm wondering if taking the Native American panel would be a step forward and how helpful others have found it. i know we're all different - just trying to ration this out.
                          I took it and haven't read of anyone getting much out of it. I think the Extended Report (a match against all populations in the db including Native American) is the best value from Tribes.

Comment

Kathleen,
                            You are right about my low scores. After each update they get smaller and smaller. I think I will cease to exist if I keep updating

PBJ
                            Actually PBJ, I think my scores got larger and my Salishan is now down to 3rd.
                            The Salishan BTW is something I cannot justify or verify based on what I know of my family history.
                            if it exists at all it has to be a Siberian tribe.
                            But time will tell of course.

Also every time I update I ask at least two questions, sometimes three.(of Lucas)That and the sharing of other's understanding of what my results might mean have brought me a long way.

Comment

• Native panel.

I took the Native Panel on March 3, 2007 and was disappointed with the results. I went from having 7 scores at one time to just 2 and they were so small I had to use a magnifying glass to find them. Salish was:0.0276 and Chol Maya was: 0.0012. Good thing was I got 5 for the price of 1. I am going to wait maybe another month or so. Need to get that Southeastern data in there!
                              Maria

Comment

• Thanks Tom and Maria -

OK, guess then i'll have to decide about re-testing and adding on the Extended Report..........or just keeping my fingers crossed and sending for an update down the road. i could use that Southeastern data too!

Meanwhile i'll hold off on the NA panel -

i appreciate your input!

Jodee

Comment

Working...
                                X