Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you!

Sonia.

Thank you very much for your kind words... I am very concerned about him. He is 78 and I just hope that I have a little more time with him. My mother is 76 and I don't know how she will cope if we lose him. They have been married 58 years... By the way I tend to forget to log off so if you see my name lit up it doesn't mean I am always here.

Maria

Comment

• The Autosomal STR's and X Chr STR's are now available to the general public, one no longer needs to be a returning FTDNA customer to qualify for them. So if you want to test a relative or a relative wants to test just the autosome or X they can.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow
        We mostly share lots of Irish and possibly these areas are highly Celtic.
        My family too, on my mothers side there are quite a few Irish surnames. I'm almost wondering if the 'Irish' matches taken into these population programs are mostly east Irish; I've read before that the type in the west known as the native "black Irish" could actually be of Portugese/Spanish origin.

However I had DNA tribes interpret my results, and they're way different from OmniPop or the European database. No high matches at all for my native population scores, lots of low & very low in Europe (the only place I know any genealogical origins from) and an average match as native Australian Aborigine & Angolan (Portugese colonial territory, but it says "native")..? I think autosomal testing is way too much in its infancy to take any of this too much to heart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nagelfar
          My family too, on my mothers side there are quite a few Irish surnames. I'm almost wondering if the 'Irish' matches taken into these population programs are mostly east Irish; I've read before that the type in the west known as the native "black Irish" could actually be of Portugese/Spanish origin.

However I had DNA tribes interpret my results, and they're way different from OmniPop or the European database. No high matches at all for my native population scores, lots of low & very low in Europe (the only place I know any genealogical origins from) and an average match as native Australian Aborigine & Angolan (Portugese colonial territory, but it says "native")..? I think autosomal testing is way too much in its infancy to take any of this too much to heart.
          Well my family has always called themselves "Black Irish" My Mom & her brothers were dark complected..
          Just since I have been waiting for all these tests..I have been amusing myself with an irish researcher..
          My great great grandfather was actually in the British Army and I got the records. he is described as ruddy but his brother (also in Army)as sallow and dark haired ..
          And..to go along with the family tale of "Black Irish..Norman-French"...ta DA..
          they live in a walled town in Ireland which was built by the Normans..Fethard Tipperary..and did so for 80 years which is as far back as I got so far..
          and being in the Military brings up other admixing scenarios that I never would have thought of..Brother Patrick served in Malta, Gibraltor and West Indies..altho' he marries back in Tipperary..
          but I AM charmed by it..

Comment

• My new Tribes scores

Eki (and anybody else who might be interested),
            I updated my DNA Tribes test on 2/28/07. My results were not dramatically different from the previous test. My family background is (as far as I know): Finnish 1/2; Irish 3/8; Scottish, Native Amer., African-Amer. 1/8.
            My highest scores by far for both High Res. Native Pop. Match and Hi Res. Global Pop. Match are Iceland 43.5, but this score is lower than in my previous Tribes test.
            My Finnish scores dropped from 16.1 to 10.1. I still have high scores for Norway 12.9, 11.7, etc., but in High Res. Global Pop. Match, I have higher scores for Brazil 21.2 and Hispanic 14.3. And I finally got a score, although it's small, for Ireland 6.0.
            My World Region Match changed. Finno-Ugrian is no longer my highest score, as it was on 11/15/06. Now my highest scores are: NW European 8.96, Finno-Ugrian 8.50, Mestizo 5.75, Eastern Euro. 3.98, Mediterranean 3.53, Asia Minor 0.70, India 0.44...
            Eki, I did not have any of the strong India scores such as you got. I did score pretty strongly for Estonia, Budapest Hungary, Portugal, Liguria Italy, Amazon Region Brazil, etc.
            The Tribes test seems to confirm my DNA Print autosomal test, which showed a mix of all 4 groups (Euro, Nat. Am., East Asian, Sub-Sah Afric.), although in Tribes I don't receive any significant East Asian results. Maybe my East Asian score in DNA Print is actually for Native Amer. ancestry. I've heard that this test cannot always distinguish between Nat. Am. and EA.
            Judy

Originally posted by Eki
            Well, I think those who are not interested can just skip it. The Internet is full of information. All of it is interesting to someone but nothing is interesting to everyone.

Comment

• Hi Judy
              Most of my matches moved down with the update also.My Ireland and Northern Ireland are both 10. something..I have a small match with the new Republic of Ireland 4.4.Lucas indicated that my smallish match with Rep.Ire. made my affinity be higher for Eastern Europe.
              So I am:
              Salishan(Still in the lead) 46.19
              Eastern Eu. 29.95
              NW EU. 16.17
              Med. 6.29
              and so on..
              My Big yellow dots are distributed accordingly...

Comment

• Salishan? Irish?

Kathleen,
                Your Salishan match is really puzzling. I know you've been trying hard to figure it out. You're mostly Irish, right?
                My 3/8 Irish is not showing up in DNA Tribes as much as it should. I think my high Iceland scores may relate to my Irish. Norman Galway wrote that the Vikings took many Irish women to Iceland. And the Vikings settled both Ireland and Iceland. But you didn't get scores for Iceland, did you?
                Judy

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow
                Hi Judy
                Most of my matches moved down with the update also.My Ireland and Northern Ireland are both 10. something..I have a small match with the new Republic of Ireland 4.4.Lucas indicated that my smallish match with Rep.Ire. made my affinity be higher for Eastern Europe.
                So I am:
                Salishan(Still in the lead) 46.19
                Eastern Eu. 29.95
                NW EU. 16.17
                Med. 6.29
                and so on..
                My Big yellow dots are distributed accordingly...

Comment

• Yes mostly Irish..5 of my known great greats are born in Ireland...
                  I do have a little Iceland..about the same as my Ireland 10..actually it is 9.66 I think..
                  My Dundee Scotland is 14.12..all my Irish(2) about 10..My Polish is quite high and numerous..at this point outranking the Salish..since my East EU. has crept up I think maybe it will eventually be a Siberian tribe..
                  The unknown grandfather has always been a player in this..
                  BUT with my extraction project from my Dad's personal effect..if it gets results..and it IS in Quality Control..I should have a handle on that..
                  Maybe it will be Salish..who knows..however I have more Salish that shows than one Grandfather would suggest...

Also I have gotten an Irish researcher and they are finding my maternal line (Irish of course)2 of my great greats.. was Military in Ireland and may have traveled..I am getting back to the 1800 mark and who knows what I may find..so far though, they travelled back to their little walled town in Tipperary to marry..

Comment

• Oh, everybody does not make fun of King Alfred and talk about their ancestors from the sixteenth century?

Comment

• New Results

Hi
                      I just received my D2 and D19 results..will now go and see if they make a difference anywhere in my autosomal readings.

Comment

• Hmm

Well when I put them into my OMNIPOP results it gets weird and only a few populations have scores..for example Byelorussia..

When I do the D2 and D19 by themselves I get a few more scores..Poland and then next is Serbia..
                        anybody know why?
                        I should also try it on ENSFI I guess

Comment

• The new markers are:
                          D2 is 25,25
                          D19 is 15,16

And the scores are:
                          #1 Estonia
                          #2 Croatia
                          #3 Germany
                          #4 Scotland
                          #5 Austria
                          #6 Slovenia
                          #7 North Ireland
                          #7 Czech Republic
                          #8 Denmark
                          #9 Ireland
                          #10 Norway

That is ENSFI

Comment

• Irish?

Kathleen,
                            So you may not be predominantly Irish?? If, as you wrote, 5 of your great greats were born in Ireland, that leaves 11 great greats who may be of other ethnicities, yes? And plenty of room for some Salishans??
                            Of my great greats, 8 were born in Finland, 6 were born in Ireland, and 2 were born in the USA (Vermont and Minn.). Actually, when it gets back to the great great generation, it's hard to know for sure about the Finnish and Irish ones. There was an illegitimate birth in one of those generations, and the exact ethnicity of the father is unknown, though he lived in Finland. There were some Swedes living in Finland at the time. I wonder if there were people of other ethnicities also living in Finland, such as Norwegian and Icelandic, which have showed up in my Tribes test.
                            Cheers, Judy

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow
                            Yes mostly Irish..5 of my known great greats are born in Ireland...

Comment

• Well the parents of one of my great greats was born in Sweden which I am thinking could actually be Denmark..he comes in 1809 and that might indicate Denmark .
                              The other great great seem to be from Alsace-Lorraine and marry German in this country..Rementer..but they actually are born here..

The Grandfather who is missing entirely from record obviously has 4 folks who I cannot put anywhere.. so could they be Salish? Sure..except Dad is quite fair..
                              But remember there is a LOT of Salish..

I should know something soon though..
                              My Dad's stepfather was from Norway so maybe the biological father was also..sailors probably..

And Dad's Carrow line originated in North Ireland we think but that is seemingly Scottish..

Lucas at Tribes thinks I rather should look to Estonia or Poland predominantly..that is now my highest and 2nd highest match..the Scottish sample has lots of Poland in it.. and 3 of my Irish lines seem to North Ireland so could be Scottish..

Comment

• Now what?

Here are all of my new autosomal markers so far:

Penta
                                B: 11-14,
                                C: 9-10,
                                D: 9-12,
                                E: 9-12.
                                CCR5: del32-normal.
                                F13B: 9-10,
                                FESFS: 10-11,
                                LPL: 1-13,
                                D19S433: 12-14,
                                D2S1338: 17-12
                                SE33: 16-30.2