X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maria_W
    replied
    Neither did mine....

Neither did mine., because I am mixed blood and very proud of it!! Reason being most of these samples are from unmixed tribes.

Maria

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    2 Amerindian lines....

It appears that I also need to do some more reseach myself to see where my 10% comes from besides the already (proven) 1600's Potowomecke! That is so awesomes to have a recent line and a colonial line! Somebody is hiding something! But who...Have alot of ancestors from Southeast U.S. I am waiting for my DeCodeMe test to come back. Arrived in Iceland Friday. Takes 2-3 weeks. I beleive that they use about 13,000 snps for ancestry that spans 23 chromosomes. Should be very detailed and should carry much more weight than 175 markers. I know that it doesn't have an Amerindian group but if what all the experts keep saying is true than Amerindians decent from Asia then....or at the very least I will have some Asian markers. My DeCodeMe score should really be cool. So if its true I am hoping to get a high Asian score from the 23 chromosomes.....

Maria

Leave a comment:

• RegRiv
    replied
    American Indian

Wow, I'm surprised to hear your Indian didn't show up on Tribes. Here are some of my statistics:

World Matches
    NW European (.3) 115.99
    Eastern Europe (.28) 76.30
    Finno-Ugrian (.21) 29.33
    Mediterranean (.13) 22.21
    Aegean (.05) 3.38
    Mestizo (.04) 2.53
    Arabian (.03) 2.22
    Levantine (.02) 1.60
    Mezopotamian (0) 1.07
    N. African (.02) 1.25
    S. Indian (0) .23
    E. India (0) .14
    E. African (0) .07
    W. African (0) .05
    Polynesian (0) .01

I don't get why my Amazonian is 0, yet Brazil is #3 and #9 in my top 10 global matches?

Native Populations: Lodz, Poland (.52) 234.90 Estonia (.52) 213.64 (No Brazil on my Native list, yet it's 3rd on global?)

Global: Lodz, Poland (.52) 234.99 Estonia (.52) 213.60 Brazil (.58) 186.33

My maternal grandma was adopted, so I believe the Brazilian is hers. My maternal grandpa said he was 1/4-1/2 Indian, which appears to be a complete fabrication. I'm having my maternal uncle's Y-DNA test done to check Grandpa's male line. Btw, Mestizo is found super low on my extended report; #'s 263-440. Mest. Honduras (.11) 3.12, Mest. Aegean, Turkey (.09) 2.90 Mest. Columbia (.06) 2.8, Mest. Honduras .37, Mest. Equador .10, Mest. Guatemala .08, Met. Equador .10.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    Hi Regina,
    If your MTDNA test done at Sorenson comes back as Native American, then you'll have clear proof, on the direct maternal line, if you have it on that line.

A quicker way to find out would be to test with the Genographic Project.
    Explore National Geographic. A world leader in geography, cartography and exploration.

My 17% is from my fathers side and the only way I can find out about it is thru DNATribes. With the higher resolution it looks as if mine is both Central Asian and Amerindian. I match Aegean and Mesopotamia and North India (all would have Central Asian ancestry), and 'Mestizo' and Athabaskan (Alaska). I found only one person on my fathers side who was Amerindian (Lenni Lenape), but that was one person over 200 years ago and does not explain my high percentage. One person 200 years ago wouldn't even show up.

Elizabeth
    Last edited by rainbow; 16 June 2008, 12:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    Hi Regina,
    If your mom feels there may be Native American and wants to test, DNATribes isn't that reliable for Amerindian ancestry. There are people who get up to 60% Native American on their AncestryByDna 2.5 test and still don't have Amerindian matches on the DNATribes, except for maybe 'Mestizo' in the 'world region' section. When I first tested I matched 'Athabaskan (Alaska)', but every update since then it had dropped to a non-match, until my 21 marker update and now it's a match again.

But their Native American coincides with Central Asian. The AncestryByDna 2.5 test is the only test that I know of that has a Native American category and they measure ancestry in percentages. Decodeme doesn't have a Native American category.

I had the ABD 2.5 test done in 2006 and I have 17% Native American. My mom did that test and she has zero Native American.

Elizabeth
    Last edited by rainbow; 16 June 2008, 12:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RegRiv
    replied
    Hi Rainbow and all,

I fear my Mom won't do the test when she learns she is not Native American (as her Dad told her), as my report shows no Indian at all. And now the Brazil surprise, which at age 73, will be hard for Mom to comprehend. Although her mother was adopted!

I'm surprised to learn so many of your matches don't coincide with your "known" ancestry. And I feel the DNA results probably do go back much further than 500 years. But you have to be a detective and historian to figure this all out.

I'm curious as to whether my Estonian represents my Dad's roots or my Moms. I've never ran into any genealogy paperwork at all in the very northern Europe, so it's a surprise to get that hit, along with Iceland & Norway. Is this ancient Viking echoes? Haha. And maybe the Brazil population is due to someone hopping off a boat from Europe. But it could be from someone hopping on a boat & landing in Europe. Hmm. It's great to explore these theories here.

My Tribes report has already been useful. First, to eliminate American Indian heritage, matching my European surname findings instead. Also to validate some Netherlands/Belgium names on a very distant branch of my tree. A branch which seemed out of place. But now my markers show that ancestry. And regarding Scots, I have an ancestor in Dundee, Scotland - who now exactly matches a Dundee, Scotland DNA 'hit'. I'm just surprised that my Scots-Irish & German hits are further down my DNA list than I anticipated! And the uknown Norse is way up there? But, my father's Polish roots are right on target, so that builds my faith in this test.

Leave a comment:

• RegRiv
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck
    While you wait for someone to help you with Omnipop, here's another one you can try: http://www.str-base.org/calc.php

Regards,
    Jim

I, too, ran over to that European STR website & input my markers & printed a report. But, I do not know how to interpret/read them to know in which order my results are. Any advice on which column to read, and whether we're looking for hi to low #'s, or opposite to show order of significance? Sorry for all the questions. I'm a DNA novice.....

Thanks so much,

Regina

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    Make that 5 out of 20. Flemish is listed 3 times. My fathers mother had Dutch (Holland/Netherlands) ancestry.

If I look for reasons to explain 'deep ancestry' matches, if it's 'deep ancestry', to Portugal and Spain, then it could be from Celtiberians that moved to ancient Britain, and/or Spanish that moved to the Spanish Netherlands. Three of my grandparents had British ancestry. One of the three also had Dutch.
    Last edited by rainbow; 15 June 2008, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    Originally posted by RegRiv
    Hi Rainbow. Yes, dnatribes had a special going on. I got an extended report for free (worth $25).

I'm now wondering if I should add my collective hits together; such as all of the Polish, all of the Brazil, the German and so on. Would that come up with a clearer picture of who I am percentage-wise?

Thanks,
    Regina
    Hi Regina

That's good that you got the extended report. I didn't know they had a special. Actually I do remember seeing something that said $25(?) off for a Mothers Day Special, or something special for Mothers Day, but since I was only looking for updates/21 marker upgrade I wasn't paying attention to the special(s). My mom won't do DNATribes. She thinks it's a joke. My first DNATribes report made a bad impression on her because it was ridiculous. Even my current one is ridiculous. It doesn't match my known ancestry. Unless in my case it's 'deep ancestry' and I have to read into it/between the lines and figure out stuff like Norman, Phoenician, Turkish (Ottomans? or Trojans that went to England?), etc. I'm reading the Denmark match as 'deep ancestry' from my English ancestry.
    Only 3 places (France and Switzerland and Flemish) match my known ancestry. 3 out of 20.
    Since you know you are at least half Polish it's wonderful that you received that as your top match. I think the Estonian can be part of the Polish. They don't have a Latvia category, so maybe it's actually more Latvian.

I also have lots of Brazilian matches and I think it's because I'm matching various Europeans who moved to Brazil. I have matches to Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, etc. People from all those countries have moved to Brazil.
    Last edited by rainbow; 15 June 2008, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    A long time ago, when DNATribes had only 13 markers, I had posted my markers when I was trying to get help with Omnipop/str too (and advice in general). It's still on this forum somewhere. Editing can only be done within 15 minutes of making the original post. I guess a moderator or administrator can edit/delete if sent a request thru a PM (private message). It never occurred to me before.

Comparing mine to RegRiv (Regina) I see we have matches on 11 out of 21 markers.

Identical with both alleles for two markers, and one allele from nine other markers. Now I wanna try str/omnipop again.

edit: I just did str again. I have two that start with 'D2'. Later I saw that enfsi has another 'D2' ('D21').

Now I don't know which of the columns I'm supposed to follow. The first one says Austria, second is Belgium.

If I'm supposed to read 'balding size', then which numbers? All end in 'E' and most have '-10', while two have '-11'.
    Last edited by rainbow; 15 June 2008, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Honeychuck
    replied
    Originally posted by RegRiv
    Hi Jim. I'm not able to access my posting -so, I can't delete the markers.
    Hopefully, the administrator will see this, and perhaps delete my last posting!

Thanks so much,
    Regina
    While you wait for someone to help you with Omnipop, here's another one you can try: http://www.str-base.org/calc.php

It's just European populations.

By far your highest score there is Estonian.

I know that linguistically Estonian is related to Finnish, but who the Estonians are genetically, I don't know.

Regards,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• RegRiv
    replied
    Hi Jim. I'm not able to access my posting -so, I can't delete the markers.
    Hopefully, the administrator will see this, and perhaps delete my last posting!

Thanks so much,
    Regina

Leave a comment:

• Jim Honeychuck
    replied
    [QUOTE=RegRiv]Thanks, Jim. It sounds like the Omni-pop program is exactly what I needed. I started listing my markers, and ran out of space. The program had room for 18 lines below the heading, and I have 21. I tried adding add'l lines and hit enter...& the program exited my entry screen & seemingly calculated something. I can't return to my original entries. Can you tell me how to return to my entry page & add the 3 additional markers? Thanks for your help & suggestions. I really appreciate this.
    Regina

Regina,

I'm on an Apple computer and don't have Excel, so I hope someone on the list will answer your question.

You should edit your post to delete your autosomal marker values, which should not be made public (I don't know why).

Regards,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• RegRiv
    replied
    Thanks, Jim. It sounds like the Omni-pop program is exactly what I needed. I started listing my markers, and ran out of space. The program had room for 18 lines below the heading, and I have 21. I tried adding add'l lines and hit enter...& the program exited my entry screen & seemingly calculated something. I can't return to my original entries. Can you tell me how to return to my entry page & add the 3 additional markers? Thanks for your help & suggestions. I really appreciate this.
    Regina

PS: Maria, I've exceeded budget already, since I'm also paying for my maternal uncle's 67 marker test. However, I mailed my own sample & tree to Sorenson's. So, I hope to evenutally learn more about my M-tDNA...assuming it ever appears on their website!
    Last edited by RegRiv; 15 June 2008, 10:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    2 options...

Regina,

Theres 2 ways to get a heritage percentage. 1. is pay 1000 for DeCodeMe. Out of most peoples budget. 2. is to consider the AncestrybyDNA 2.5 test by DNA Print Genomics at 240.00.

Maria

Leave a comment:

Working...
X