No announcement yet.

Tribes scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yes, it's quite easy to split the two apart now, even though she hasn't taken the test yet. I can "see" many of his matches in my own.

For example, my father's highest match -- by a lot -- is Finland (though my Finnish number is much higher than his!). He also gets several Norway matches. His known ancestry is British.

My matches from Poland must be coming from my mother, because he has none. She has quite a bit of German ancestry in addition to British. Interestingly, my own Finnish & northeastern Polish matches are geographically quite close on the map, so it seems that by marrying each other, the genetic result (me) is even more "finno-ugric" than either one of them individually.

Comment

• Originally posted by NormanGalway

My matches from Poland must be coming from my mother, because he has none. She has quite a bit of German ancestry in addition to British. Interestingly, my own Finnish & northeastern Polish matches are geographically quite close on the map, so it seems that by marrying each other, the genetic result (me) is even more "finno-ugric" than either one of them individually.
      That's interesting because my Y-haplotype I1a-uN points to Norway and my mtDNA-haplotype and predicted mtDNA-haplogroup H1b point to Northern Poland. Maybe Norwegian men tended to get wives from Northern Poland before settling in Western Finland?

Comment

• Australian aboriginal?

In my High Res. Global Pop. Match, I had a pretty high score for European-Aboriginal (Western Australia) 16.0. This was my 7th highest match, right after Finland 16.1.

Has anybody gotten a similar score for Australian? I'm assuming this refers to a mixture of Euro and Aboriginal?? I thought it was kind of odd, because I'm Finnish 1/2, Irish 3/8, and Scottish & maybe African & maybe Nat. Amer. 1/8.

I also had pretty strong scores for Brazilian 26.7, Hispanic, 20.4, Hispanic 15.6, Belem Brazil 15.5, Amazonian (Brazil) 14.7, Hispanic USA 14.4, Caracas Venezuela 13.7, Costa Rican 13.6.

These kinds of scores make me wonder whether I actually have more African and Nat. Amer. ancestry than my DNA Print test revealed (85% Eur., 5% SSAF, 5% NA, 5% EA). Or the scores are just confirmation of a racial mixture??

Last edited by jaranta; 25 November 2006, 09:49 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

• Originally posted by jaranta
          In my High Res. Global Pop. Match, I had a pretty high score for European-Aboriginal (Western Australia) 16.0. This was my 7th highest match, right after Finland 16.1.

Has anybody gotten a similar score for Australian? I'm assuming this refers to a mixture of Euro and Aboriginal?? I thought it was kind of odd, because I'm Finnish 1/2, Irish 3/8, and Scottish & maybe African & maybe Nat. Amer. 1/8. ...
          Yes, on the fourth round of the test I got very high scores for Australian, despite being entirely European in background and appearance. It is either a coincidence, which I think DNA Tribes does not accept as a possibility in its algorithm, or else it is very ancient, with the common ancestor being an East African 40,000 years ago. Whatever. I'm ignoring it.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by haplogroupc
            I've also read that anything below 1 doesn't mean anything. But I definitely think the numbers will go up for alot of people when more samples are added. That's what's happened to European scores.

I'm so amazed by Black Dutch's family's scores. The numbers may be different but the matches are almost identical. You can tell that they're related.
            Thanks for clarifying this. In the near future these tests will be refined to a much higher degree, but for now we have to work with what we have. The reason myself and others posted the East Asian numbers above and below 1 were to see if there is any kind of pattern.
            I really enjoy this forum and everyones input.

Comment

• East African?

Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck
              Yes, on the fourth round of the test I got very high scores for Australian, despite being entirely European in background and appearance. It is either a coincidence, which I think DNA Tribes does not accept as a possibility in its algorithm, or else it is very ancient, with the common ancestor being an East African 40,000 years ago. Whatever. I'm ignoring it.

Jim
              Jim, Was your Australian score for Australian Aboriginal? It's interesting that you mention the East African connection, because in one of the other tests (CSFS or Omnipop), I received a score (one of the weaker ones) for Mozambique. That was the only African country I matched to.

Have you taken the DNA Print test? I scored (to my great surprise) 5% Sub-Saharan African.
              Judy

Comment

...These kinds of scores make me wonder whether I actually have more African and Nat. Amer. ancestry than my DNA Print test revealed (85% Eur., 5% SSAF, 5% NA, 5% EA). Or the scores are just confirmation of a racial mixture??

I think we ought not regard 'implausible' matches or multiple 'minor' matches as evidence of actual admixture - that any of us, except those with documentation of such, are Sino-Tibetan or Native Austalian. Rather, I think we get those those matches because in some way our allelic profile 'looks like' that of Sino-Tibetans or Native Australian. I also don't find the proffered explanation of 'ancient' affinities very satisfying.

'It's the autosome, Jake.' (Stuff happens).

Comment

Jim, Was your Australian score for Australian Aboriginal? It's interesting that you mention the East African connection, because in one of the other tests (CSFS or Omnipop), I received a score (one of the weaker ones) for Mozambique. That was the only African country I matched to.

Have you taken the DNA Print test? I scored (to my great surprise) 5% Sub-Saharan African.
                  Judy
                  I got all this:

European-Aboriginal (Northern Territory, Australia) 45.72
                  European-Aboriginal (Northern Territory, Australia) 28.26
                  Aboriginal (Northern Territory, Australia) 25.54
                  European-Aboriginal (Queensland, Australia) 23.95
                  Aboriginal (Northern Territory, Australia) 18.46
                  European-Aboriginal (Western Australia) 17.95

Really hard to believe.

I got nothing in Africa above 1.05 for El-Minia, Egypt.

Haven't taken DNA Print.

Jim

Comment

• Native Australians are rather unique genetically and in no way close to Africans. Historically they have been associated with South Asian 'Negritos' like the Andaman and Nicobar Islanders but that name and association was based appearances rather than any knowledge of origins, migrations or comparative genetics.

Comment

• Omnipop Codis Results

My top five Omnipop Codis (202 populations) for myself and other family members were:

My results:
                      Scottish 6.20E+10
                      ABI Caucasian 7.88+10
                      Madeira Arch. 1.02+11
                      Mich Native Am 1.12+11
                      Catalans Spain 1.15+11

Moms Aunt:
                      Andalusian Spain 7.64+10
                      Catalans Spain 1.15+11
                      Berber Morocco 1.33+11
                      Scottish 1.69+11
                      Italian 2.30+11

Dads Sister:
                      Portuguese Azores 1.82+12
                      Balearic Spain 2.18+12
                      Valencian Spain 2.64+12
                      Majorcan Spain 2.90+12
                      Polish 3.30+12

Moms Uncle:
                      Chitpavan Brahmin India 1.46+11
                      Minorcan Spain 1.63+11
                      Rajput India 2.78+11
                      Bangladesh 2.78+11
                      Chinese 2.91+11

Comment

• DNA Tribes population samples.

Went to DNA Tribes website and decided to open up the updated population samples. I compared my x x markers with theirs and this is what I came up with. Each number is the amount of markers that are in common.

German 12 Well my last name is German.
                        Italian, Tuscany 11
                        Santa Catarina, Brazil 10
                        Askanazi Jew 9
                        Belrussian 8
                        Romany 8
                        Scottish 8
                        Portuguese 7
                        Singapore 7
                        California Caucasian 7
                        Lumbee 6
                        Saudi Arabia 6
                        Salvadorian 6
                        Berber 6
                        Satnami Central India 6
                        Hutu Rwanda 6
                        African American 5
                        Phillipines 5
                        Turkish 5
                        Apache 4
                        Hispanic 4
                        Korean 3
                        Caracus Venezula 3
                        Ojibwa 2
                        Inupiat 2

So that take alot of time!
                        Maria

Comment

• wow...thanks for the heads up, Maria. They really have updated them.
                          The German sample has 9 separate Polish matches, and the same Finno-ugrian score as me. which is interesting, because it would mean that the German sample is "more" finno-ugrian than the finns...
                          so perhaps my own conundrum is solved, as I have known german ancestry.

there is an oddity here, which is that the german sample is more "slavic" and finno-ugrian than Northwest european.

Comment

• Originally posted by NormanGalway
                            wow...thanks for the heads up, Maria. They really have updated them.
                            The German sample has 9 separate Polish matches, and the same Finno-ugrian score as me. which is interesting, because it would mean that the German sample is "more" finno-ugrian than the finns...
                            so perhaps my own conundrum is solved, as I have known german ancestry.

there is an oddity here, which is that the german sample is more "slavic" and finno-ugrian than Northwest european.
                            Maybe their ancestors are from an area that is closer to Poland or that was once considered Poland.

Comment

• that's what I'm thinking... maybe this individual was an East German, Prussian, or even postwar evacuee. on the other hand, my ancestry is partly swiss german and I still get those Polish matches, though not nearly as many!

Comment

• Happy it helped.

Happy that I did something that made someone happy this morning! Want to post your new markers? Well it took alot of time and it is a quite a bit different from the last one I posted. German hitting top surprised me becasue I am just as dominate in my other european heritage. Well I guess it would be another European country too. Since I am 90% European I am going to have alot of Euro DNA all over the place. Didn't really look that much at their results, just the codis markers I had in common. I guess I can go back and see what their native, global and world were. But I saw one of the Native American samples and was stunned when I saw a score of 147,000. How is that possible. The only markers that weren't updated that I saw was Objibwa and Lumbee, not sure why. And what does it mean by updating. Are these different samples now. Are are they based on 13 high resolution as opposed to 9 low resolutions.
                                Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X