Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tribes scores

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • From DNATribes my highest matches are Sub-Saharan African. Also with Omnipop I have been told that I have significant African matches. I have no known Sub-Saharan African ancestry so I am not sure if the results are correct or not. I wish I could really know if they are genuine or not!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by J Man
      From DNATribes my highest matches are Sub-Saharan African. Also with Omnipop I have been told that I have significant African matches. I have no known Sub-Saharan African ancestry so I am not sure if the results are correct or not. I wish I could really know if they are genuine or not!
      Have you e-mailed them to ask?From what they have told me..and I have asked questions every time I update..if your top scores are about the same value, and you have NO genealogy that indicates a particular population, then it likely just "looks like" your allele combination...

      My Salish NA and Estonia and Lodz Poalnd are approximately the same value.Lucas recently said this to me in an e-mail regarding my test and my sister's:
      "Both Salishan scores were substantially above the expected range for Europeans. However, European affiliations were also observed and were overall most likely. "

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow
        Have you e-mailed them to ask?From what they have told me..and I have asked questions every time I update..if your top scores are about the same value, and you have NO genealogy that indicates a particular population, then it likely just "looks like" your allele combination...

        My Salish NA and Estonia and Lodz Poalnd are approximately the same value.Lucas recently said this to me in an e-mail regarding my test and my sister's:
        "Both Salishan scores were substantially above the expected range for Europeans. However, European affiliations were also observed and were overall most likely. "

        I had a feeling it might be due to just convergence but I am still not sure.

        I emailed them a while ago and they said that it is quite unusual for a person of European descent to have their highest scores in Sub-Saharan Africa. They said that the scores do not indicate percentage ancestry from any region. However my match does suggest that there might be some ancestors (perhaps only representing a small fraction of my ancestors) who have passed down some genetic ties to Africa. They also mentioned some stuff about percentiles.

        Comment


        • I would put money on convergence rather than ancient African autosomal inheritance. What are the ancestries of your parents?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by tomcat
            I would put money on convergence rather than ancient African autosomal inheritance. What are the ancestries of your parents?

            I think it is most likely convergence as well. My dad is half Italian (Calabrese Southern Italy), and half Finn. My mother's ancestry is 100% British Isles.

            Comment


            • New Tribes Scores & Populations..

              Tribes has a new update..Belarus,Southern Russia ...
              and I NEW type of scoring.. hold me back...

              Comment


              • Originally posted by J Man
                I think it is most likely convergence as well. My dad is half Italian (Calabrese Southern Italy), and half Finn. My mother's ancestry is 100% British Isles.
                Quite a mix. When in Omnipop you can get allele frequency data for the Sub-Saharan African populations to which you are matched by going to the Data tab at the foot of the Omnipop page. Just scroll through till you find the SSAf populations and note the stats. And you may be able, to find online, papers on autosomal STR allele frequencies for Finns and Calabrese. Don't know how you find the same for the British Isles although I am sure that Scotland Yard has the data.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow
                  Tribes has a new update..Belarus,Southern Russia ...
                  and I NEW type of scoring.. hold me back...
                  Oh piffle, after two months of quiet I expected a whole bunch of new populations. Guess we'll have to wait till autumn after three months of prime cheek swabbing weather. How can I get a job swabbing the cheeks of exotics of the world?

                  Comment


                  • Already did this!

                    We I went to DNA Tribes website explaining the new scoring system I realized that I had already pretty much scored my populations that way myself using information from the scoring sytem they had on their website. These results were posted on DNA Tribes thread but its o.k. Where I put 76-95, they might be my specific like 85. We'll see. Going to order!
                    Maia

                    Comment


                    • Betting on the Convergence

                      Originally posted by tomcat
                      I would put money on convergence rather than ancient African autosomal inheritance. What are the ancestries of your parents?
                      I'm with Tom here. My Heinz 57 great nephew is so mixed up that his Tribes results don't show any hint of his African American great-great Gram (who he knew, so that's not ancient, but separated by 96 years) or his Chinese great Grandfather on the other side of the tree. There are a few unknowns with 2 adopted grandfathers, but he generally turned up Italian / Greek.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Sonia
                        I'm with Tom here. My Heinz 57 great nephew is so mixed up that his Tribes results don't show any hint of his African American great-great Gram (who he knew, so that's not ancient, but separated by 96 years) or his Chinese great Grandfather on the other side of the tree. There are a few unknowns with 2 adopted grandfathers, but he gene rally turned up Italian / Greek.
                        What? He has Chinese and African heritage and it didn't show up? Maybe his swabs were mixed up with someone elses in the mailroom or lab.



                        My situation is the reverse. Stuff that is not part of my heritage showed up in my results. My ancestors were from Europe, mostly the British Isles. I have NO African, NO American Indian, and NO Chinese ancestry. AncestryByDna says I'm part American Indian and European. Dnatribes says I'm part African and European and Maori and Javanese and Syrian, etc. The markers from dnatribes, thru Omnipop, says I'm only 04% (four percent?! )European and part Chinese and Japanese and Guam and African and 36% Native American.
                        Last edited by rainbow; 26 April 2007, 10:39 PM.

                        Comment


                        • The only way that I could make myself believe it is true is if it is ancient markers. Even then, what the?! Maybe American Indians went across the Atlantic and settled in Norway or Finland 2,000 years ago. Maybe Africans mingled with Greeks and Phoenicians and Celts and settled in Wales. Maybe I have some Scythian-Chinese-Japanese from thousands of years ago. I certainly don't have anything recent. As for my Finnish matches, the only person in my tree from Finland was in the 300s (seventeen hundred years ago).
                          Last edited by rainbow; 26 April 2007, 10:55 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Maria_W
                            We I went to DNA Tribes website explaining the new scoring system I realized that I had already pretty much scored my populations that way myself using information from the scoring sytem they had on their website. These results were posted on DNA Tribes thread but its o.k. Where I put 76-95, they might be my specific like 85. We'll see. Going to order!
                            Maia
                            Where is the Southeastern Tribes that we were promised?

                            Comment


                            • No Southeastern data!

                              Yes, I was hoping to see the Southeastern data too but I guess it just isn't ready yet. I was told later this year. Still will not committ to a date yet. Not sure what later means! I did do the update with the new scoring system. I don't have time to post it all right now but I was right about it being from their website althouh their scores are more pricise. My Mestizo was still the same a mere 0.51 , my Salishan was still 0.03, but my microspic 0.01 Central Amerindian disappeared. No Northeast Amerindian score. For having 10% my scores don't reflect it. Hoping to score some with the Southeastern data! I really don't have much
                              Maria

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Gene2005
                                Hi EveryOne,
                                I email DNA Tribes for their date of the new update. they emailed me , April with more Europeans & African matches. Does anyone knows the exact date ? Thank you.
                                Yesterday. I got my update in about an hour.

                                Jim

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X