22/22 match and other databases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22/22 match and other databases

I recently imputed my markers in the sorenson Molecular Gen. Foundation's database. I have found a 22/22 match with someone from the same geographical region that I believe my family has come from. I'm a little unclear on what this means as far as percentage of relation and how many generations back. Since, I am adopted, I can not match a surname for comparision.

Also, other than ysearch and sorenson, are there other YDNA databases that we can imput our markers for possible comparisons?

Thanks

Have you tried YBase? (http://www.ybase.org/)

Comment

Originally posted by DHDH
      I have found a 22/22 match with someone from the same geographical region that I believe my family has come from. I'm a little unclear on what this means as far as percentage of relation and how many generations back. Since, I am adopted, I can not match a surname for comparision.
      Using Moses Walker's calculator ( http://www.moseswalker.com/mrca/calculator.asp?q=2 ) and assuming the mutation rate = .0028:

A 22/22 match implies a 50% probability of a common ancestor within six generations and a 90% probability within 19 generations.

Depending on the region, I'd say the odds are pretty good that this match would share a surname with your biological ancestor.

If I were you, and this was the only close match I had found, I'd be tempted to order a test from one of the companies that uses Sorenson as their lab (i.e. Relative Genetics or DNA Heritage) to see if I could get more markers in common and see if the match holds up.
      Last edited by vineviz; 7 September 2006, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I'm in a similar situation. Even if you do more testing I don't think there's a way of getting identifying information from Sorenson.

Comment

Originally posted by DHDH
          Also, other than ysearch and sorenson, are there other YDNA databases that we can imput our markers for possible comparisons?

Thanks
          Relative Genetics has a database for yDNA

Comment

Originally posted by scotdna
            I'm in a similar situation. Even if you do more testing I don't think there's a way of getting identifying information from Sorenson.
            I was thinking that, in this particular case, identifying a surname and geographic location from the SMGF pedigree would be a coup for the adoptee. Some adoptees would be thrilled to know that, with 60% certainty, their biological grandfather had a cousin with the surname Lipton and lived in Valley Forge, PA (I'm making up the details as an example).

A 22/22 match is a little bit weak, though. A 43/43 match, however, virtually assures you that the adoptees biological father had the same surname as the SMGF participants biological father. Then you just have to hope that the SMGF particpant did not, themselves, have a non-paternity event.

Comment

[A 22/22 match is a little bit weak, though. A 43/43 match, however, virtually assures you that the adoptees biological father had the same surname as the SMGF participants biological father. Then you just have to hope that the SMGF particpant did not, themselves, have a non-paternity event.[/QUOTE]

Come on Buddy,
              This is getting a little ridiculous. I have had people claim to be related that have no match at all and not even close. I think we need a basic IQ test to do all genealogy research.. And maybe even raising children (Another course).

Comment

Working...
              X