Ancestry by DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure.

When I took the test I had 8 markers that didn't give them any information. They called them failures. I asked AncestryByDna if I repeated my test would it change my results. I was hoping she would say yes and maybe my 10% Native would be say a few % higher, say 12%. I was told that it would not be worth retesting for just 8. I think she said if you had 13 or they would retest for free. But that was with 175 markers, who knows what it might be if they added say another 100 more markers. Would it make a difference. Still why so heavy on the southwestern and Mexican. They have to have other tribes in there somewhere. Maria

Comment

hey maria if you had 8 errors then they should have redone your test for free because if you get 3 errors your test is worthless

Comment

Native dna

Tom.
        I am fortunate in some ways and not in others. I am in the fact that I know where at least one Native connection started. I know the name of my tribe and what families started that connection and the physical area where we started, and I do know alot about my tribal history. But we don't have our Virginian Algonquian language. It hasn't been spoken it about 300 years, dispite there being around 3000 decendents in Virginia and New England. They used some of the words in the movie The New World. A few words are: Manaang-gwas Butterfly, Nuswohcassannack 300, ect. Yes it would be good to be able to find out exactly what tribe you are from. To find your people. I walk 2 worlds also. My Native and European. Yes 500 hundred years is a long time to suffer. Maria

Comment

Explain comment.

What do you mean its worthless? Could you explain that comment please. I was told they would not retest for 8 , retest at 13 by AncestryBy DNA. Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Maria_W
            Tom.
            I am fortunate in some ways and not in others. I am in the fact that I know where at least one Native connection started. I know the name of my tribe and what families started that connection and the physical area where we started, and I do know alot about my tribal history. But we don't have our Virginian Algonquian language. It hasn't been spoken it about 300 years, dispite there being around 3000 decendents in Virginia and New England. They used some of the words in the movie The New World. A few words are: Manaang-gwas Butterfly, Nuswohcassannack 300, ect. Yes it would be good to be able to find out exactly what tribe you are from. To find your people. I walk 2 worlds also. My Native and European. Yes 500 hundred years is a long time to suffer. Maria
            Maria,

Have any other of your Potowomeke tribe DNA tested with Tribes?

Tom

Comment

Hard to say.

Hard to say what tests they have done. They aren't really that much on DNA testing. Don't think its needed. If you decend from the Potowomeck you are supposed to know who you are, thats there thinking. Some have done dna testing but won't reveal thier results to outsiders. Taboo, privacy issue. Bill Deyo who does tribal history comes off of the same line as me (Wahangonoche)but unfortunatly I can't reveal his results without his permission. I do know that he has tested and I know his results. I think all of the decendents need to be tested. Since we are a small group, not like the Dine of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico area, I highly doubt our results would add much. Maybe I can encougage them to do so. Maria

Comment

Get a Potowomeck tribal .pdf on DNATribes
                Tom

Comment

We survived.

Actually most tribes are bigger than us, since most of us were killed 1666 when the govenor of Virginia ordered the Rappaahannock County Militia to exterminate any Native within reach. Part of the present day Stafford and King George area was in an adjoining Rappahannock County at the time. In July 1666, per the General Council of Virginia minutes, war was declared on the Potowomecks "to there utter destruction" The English had thought that they had put an end to the Potowomeck tribe, but my ancestor Wahangonoche , had befriended some of the English some years before and married his daughters off to the English. Ensuring the survival of the present day decendents. Since the 1666war, many decendents have struck together, passing down their ways of hunting and fishing and farming. Most kept their heritage among themselves becasue of the adverse reaction of society around them. Yes, we are mixed but alot of people are. Maria

Comment

Working...
                  X