Help! Y-Dna results?? Confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TFScott
    I uploaded my results to MitoSearch. My user ID is RE5AN. I am totally confused. I just did a search in MitoSearch and it looks like I brought up myself as a match. HELP!!!
    You apparently have two very rare mutations, 16286T and 16352C. And that's only on HVR1! 16519C is very common, and I see a few combinations of that with either 16256T or 16295T, but not both. 16286T and 16352C appear to be much rarer.

Comment

Thanku for all your help. I've been reading a ton of info on this.

I have a couple questions: will my MTDNA show I'm related to my father's Y-DNA or no?? I know they are different, but how can we see father-daughter relationships in DNA? Thanks.

I really wish FTDNA would offer even a little bit of supporting literature on what this all means. For example, "number of entries" is that in the hundreds or thousands? Is that just their sample base?

So, 2 people in Spain, 1 each in Armenia, England, Greece match (1 Step Mutation)... so what can I conclude? Ethnicity or migration or what? Is 1 Step Mutation considered a match or significant or compelling? I mean, there's a big difference between each of these countries... I still don't get it.
      Does it mean we're Spanish, Armenian, British and Greek???

THANK YOU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by caj2
        Thanku for all your help. I've been reading a ton of info on this.

I have a couple questions: will my MTDNA show I'm related to my father's Y-DNA or no?? I know they are different, but how can we see father-daughter relationships in DNA? Thanks.
        mtDNA is from your mother, yDNA from your father. They will never combine. A female does not inherit yDNA so there is no real test that can show this and you would need to test a male such as a brother, fathers brother or the like. Autosomal DNA is a combination but you really cannot tell who contributed what. It is also in it's infancy so it's a best guess sinario right now with autosomal DNA.

I really wish FTDNA would offer even a little bit of supporting literature on what this all means.
        They do, see: http://www.ftdna.com/dna101.html

So, 2 people in Spain, 1 each in Armenia, England, Greece match (1 Step Mutation)... so what can I conclude? Ethnicity or migration or what? Is 1 Step Mutation considered a match or significant or compelling? I mean, there's a big difference between each of these countries... I still don't get it.

THANK YOU!!!
        To be honest you really cannot conclude anything. The country is entered by the individual the sample belonged to, so whether it is accurate or not is a crap-shoot at best. People are supposed to enter either a known origin or they should put unknown. This usually does not happen. Plenty of people from the United States will put the United States when they are not native American. this is misleading. Others may put the UK because there name is Smith when in reality it may have been Schmidt and from Germany. I would not put faith in the countries listed without more research.

Comment

Is 1 Step Mutation considered a match or significant or compelling?
          Not at 12 markers, unless perhaps the surname is the same.

Frankly, for better resolution, you need more markers.

Comment

A 1 Step mutation means that you and your matches had a common ancestor about 3000 years ago or more. The above mentioned countries could both tell you the origin and migrations of your ancestor's followers.

A possible, although not neccesarily explanation could for instance be that your common ancestor 3000 years ago was located somewhere in Anatolia (nowadays Turkey), were both Greeks and Armenians have been resident until the beginning of last century. Greeks migrated both to southern Italy and to Spain during history, and the Greeks of southern Italy were assimilated with the Romans, who later also occupied Britain and probably had an impact on the DNA of the British people. But there could of course be other possible scenarios.

Comment

Okay. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. It is a learning curve, especially for those of us not science oriented.
              I am not daft enough to be looking for answers, but I was kind of hoping for something a bit definitive. I upgraded to the SNP test and will see what happens when my results come in. The thing I'm hoping for, is in genealogical research you hit a lot of walls but every one in a while you get a "nugget" and know that it is fact (a census name, a deed, etc.) and it can be verified. While I know there's not like 100% certainty, I'd like to feel like there is some. Maybe the more I learn and research, the more I'll understand. I seem to only have questions at this point.

Thank u for the link to the FTDNA Tutorials, that is what I needed. It raises a new question for me, however, what do surnames have to do with it? I may as well enter the stuff in the ysearch database and see what happens. We have an unusual surname so there won't be any matches, I bet.

Comment

Working...
              X