Help! Y-Dna results?? Confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Y-Dna results?? Confused!

Just got the results today, before the weekend, when everyone's gone home.
    lol.
    I can't believe we just get an e-mail and no supporting info. I don't understand the results at all.
    I tested my father's DNA and we're trying to understand.
    For example:
    1) his Y-DNA is a table -- which DYS# are his??
    2) His haplogroup is J2 and what does "One Step Mutation" mean???

Please, please help. I've done lots of research online and cannot figure this out!

Thank you!
    Last edited by caj2; 1 September 2006, 09:59 PM.

I'm with you!!!!

I received my mtDNA results about a week ago and I have no clue what it is telling me except I'm Haplogroup H. I have looked over the website to find a better explanation and am still confused.
    TFScott

Comment

caj2:

just quickly, J2 is typical Mediterranean/Middle Eastern (eg >25% southern Italy are J2). The DYS# is a certain location in the Y chromosome. The value associated with it is the number of repeats of certain DNA sequences in that location. Eg DYS 393 = 12 means that you have 12 repeats at the location DYS393 of the Y chromosome. You can compare your numbers to those of other people, the closer, the more likely a (distant) relation. From your FTDNA webpage, you should upload your results to ysearch.org (there is a button), from where you can compare yourself to thousands of people. One step mutation means that another person has exactly the same numbers as yours, except one (eg say DYS393=11, or the like).

This is just a quick start. J2 is relatively common and there are many people in this forum who belong to J2, so I'm sure you'll soon get much more information from them.

cacio

Comment

ok, thank you.
        I ordered the additional test it asked for. I think it's called SNP or something, which will hopefully tell more??
        Is it true that J2 is primarily Jewish, semitic?? That would be cool, there were always rumors of this.

If you upload to ysearch does it stay confidential??

I'm sure my father isn't really interested in meeting people, although who knows? but more on tracing ancestral roots. what does the One step mutation and the country listings mean?
        Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by caj2
          Just got the results today, before the weekend, when everyone's gone home.
          lol.
          I can't believe we just get an e-mail and no supporting info. I don't understand the results at all.
          I tested my father's DNA and we're trying to understand.
          For example:
          1) his Y-DNA is a table -- which DYS# are his??
          2) His haplogroup is J2 and what does "One Step Mutation" mean???

Please, please help. I've done lots of research online and cannot figure this out!

Thank you!
          caj2,

Are you looking at the Y-DNA DYS Values page? His numbers are the Alleles. So, his DYS 393 would be whichever number is next to 393 in the Alleles list.

As cacio explained, one step mutation means you're not an exact match but you're a close match. But it could be thousands of years ago that you might have shared a common ancestor.

Comment

ok, thank you.
            I ordered the additional test it asked for. I think it's called SNP or something, which will hopefully tell more??
            Is it true that J2 is primarily Jewish, semitic?? That would be cool, there were always rumors of this.

I'm sure my father isn't really interested in meeting people, although who knows? but more on tracing ancestral roots. what does the One step mutation and the country listings mean?
            Thanks!
            caj2,

The country listings are the countries your matches claim to have originated from, on their Y-DNA side.

Have you seen the National Geographic Project website? Here's the link:

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/...hic/atlas.html

If you click on Genetic Markers at the bottom of the page you'll find info and a map for your haplogroup.

Comment

ok, thanks!

Comment

help!

Okay, so the RAO says:

12 Marker Y-DNA Matches

12 Marker Y-DNA Matches

One Step Mutations

Country (Number of Entries) Comment Your Matches
                Armenia (31) - 1
                England (9301) - 1
                Greece (282) - 1
                Spain (1022) - 2

So where am I to find exactly what this means?
                I'm assuming that (31) is the # of Y-DNA samples FTDNA has and 1 person in that country matched...? Same with England, Greece, Spain (2 matches). So what does this mean for my ancestors/ethnicity?
                This is all very exciting and shocking to us. Nobody knew this in my family.
                I still don't get the "one step mutation" or the "two step mutation."

On the 2 step mutation, "Sephardic" comes up 3 times in various countries; Scottland has 11 matches, Spain has 6 and the UK has 4. Does this mean people right now in the database from those countries match? How significant is the 2-step mutation? What to extrapolate from this? Are we Sephardic or not???

thanks so much for any assistance!!!!
                this is all quite fascinating!!
                Last edited by caj2; 2 September 2006, 05:03 AM.

Comment

You can enter 'Name Withheld' etc. if you want it to remain confidential. What is really needed is the haplogroup (if you know it), the haplotype (marker values), and the ancestral city (if you know it).

You can do all this semi-automatically from your Y-DNA Matches tab. Click on the hyperlink for 'Upload results to Ysearch' (or something like that). You should get a new window onto Ysearch. Choose a password and click Edit. Your DNA results should be uploaded automatically. You will then see a window with all your information. Make any changes you want, such as replacement of the name with 'Name Withheld', and then click on Save.

While that window is up, write down the username (Ysearch ID) of your entry. Tell us your username, and we can then try to interpret your results.

Did you only order the minimal 12-marker package? If you are 'seriously' interested in this, you will probably want to upgrade to 37 markers. Let me give you my own example. I am of Polish ancestry. At 12 markers, my nearest matches were in Russia and Romania. Well, that's eastern Europe, but pretty broad. At 25 markers, my nearest matches were in Poland, but all over. That's better. At 37 markers, my nearest matches were clustered in the Carpathian Mountains of southern Poland. Here are my 37-marker matches:

http://www.ysearch.org/search_result...smatches_max=6

Comment

Originally posted by TFScott
                    I received my mtDNA results about a week ago and I have no clue what it is telling me except I'm Haplogroup H.
                    Go to the mtDNA Matches tab and click on the hyperlink to 'Upload your results into MitoSearch'. This should present you with a new window. Choose a password and click Edit. Let the upload proceed. Change or add any information you wish. (For example, if you wish your results to remain private, change the name to 'Name Withheld'.) Then click to Save your new entry.

While the window is still up, write down your username/ID. Let us know that, and we can try to interpret your results better.

Comment

MitoSearch upload

Originally posted by lgmayka
                      Go to the mtDNA Matches tab and click on the hyperlink to 'Upload your results into MitoSearch'. This should present you with a new window. Choose a password and click Edit. Let the upload proceed. Change or add any information you wish. (For example, if you wish your results to remain private, change the name to 'Name Withheld'.) Then click to Save your new entry.

While the window is still up, write down your username/ID. Let us know that, and we can try to interpret your results better.

I uploaded my results to MitoSearch. My user ID is RE5AN. I am totally confused. I just did a search in MitoSearch and it looks like I brought up myself as a match. HELP!!!

TFScott

Comment

That means you have no matches yet. It only found yours.

Comment

Caj2, with 12 markers there can be few firm conclusions. Did you have any exact matches. Since there were no Sephardic matches at a one mutation distance, the Sephardic connection seems remote but not out of the question. On the other hand, it may only indicate that you shared a common ancestor who was not Jewish.
                          Last edited by josh w.; 2 September 2006, 12:38 PM.

Comment

caj2:

regarding J, it is true that J is the most common haplogroup among semitic
                            populations, but not only, it is also common among southern Europeans (eg Italians, southern spaniards, greek, etc.). Both J1 and J2 are present everywhere, but in general, J1 is more common in Jewish and Arabic populations, while J2 is more common in the North, from Iran to Italy. There are some scientific papers that have studied haplogroup J and have argued that J people moved from the Middle East to Europe more than 10K years ago, probably with the diffusion of agriculture. So J is ancient in Europe, and doesn't really mean a recent arrival, such as the Jews.

You can find out more about which particular subgroup of J2 you belong to by taking an SNP test. In addition to ftdna, such test is also offered by another company, Ethnoancestry:
                            http://www.ethnoancestry.com/prod15.html
                            Knowing your subgroup may help in determining whether it's European or more recent middle eastern. In addition, as lgmayka was saying, upgrading to more STR markers will help in studying geographical matches. In any case, ysearch has more observations that what you find on your ftdna page, so if interested you can upload there (anonymously if preferred).

cacio

Comment

Tfscott:

I am not an expert on haplogroup H, but you have a rather strange combination of mutations for haplogroup H. You do miss 73G in HVR2, which seems to assign you to the HV groups. If you have money to spend, you're probably one of those cases that would benefit from extra testing, eg a deep clade for H of the like. You should send an email to ftdna asking for suggestions.

Also, you can post a new question on this site, but as a new thread under "mitosearch.org" - with the title: "unusual mtdna H", or a similar name. There are some very knowledgeable people who may be able to help you there (eg vraatyah).

cacio

Comment

Working...
                              X