Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNATribes results

Hi,
    Got the results back and the strongest scores are Polish and Spanish/Hispanic/Buenos Aires/Caucasian Canadian.
    Just put one amelogenin value into the Royal Canadian database and it came out with:
    Caucasian freq 1 in 2222.22,
    Japanese the same,
    N Ontario Native 1 in 1250.00
    Saskatchewan 1 in 800.00
    Salishan the same
    CFS Caucasian 1 in 5000.00
    ABD Caucasian 1 in 2958.58
    FBI Caucasian 1 in 3004.63
    Apache 1 in 3149.41
    What does this mean? That I'm most likely to share the same allele values with the 1 in 800's?

Amelogenin is the sex-typing marker. If the person tested was female there should be two x's, if male an x and y. But you could not have entered either an x or y into the Canadian db. because there is no place for it. So you must have entered one or more of the allele values.

Their quite a bit on searching alleles under the Native American 'Tribes thread on this forum.

The Hispanic matches indicate Native American ancestry.

Care to share DNATribes reports?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by burto
      Hi,
      Got the results back and the strongest scores are Polish and Spanish/Hispanic/Buenos Aires/Caucasian Canadian.
      Just put one amelogenin value into the Royal Canadian database and it came out with:
      Caucasian freq 1 in 2222.22,
      Japanese the same,
      N Ontario Native 1 in 1250.00
      Saskatchewan 1 in 800.00
      Salishan the same
      CFS Caucasian 1 in 5000.00
      ABD Caucasian 1 in 2958.58
      FBI Caucasian 1 in 3004.63
      Apache 1 in 3149.41
      What does this mean? That I'm most likely to share the same allele values with the 1 in 800's?
      burto,

Did the DNA Tribes test come up with any Mestizo on the World Region Match? That would definitely point to the possibility of Native American from Latin America.

Comment

Burto - as I recall, you are British and your mother was a little taken aback by the NA results you seem to be getting. Have you uncovered any ancestors from America via the paper trail yet?

Comment

Hi guys,
          Yes we have a small amount of Mestizo, Haplogroupc and N4321, my mother is half British half American but her AncestrybyDNA test said European and East Asian. I was trying to link that to Native ancestry. The bar graph for that test did show a red confidence bar of up to 10% NA, but the East Asian came out as two times more likely.
          Tomcat, it was one set of values I put in...just didn't know the name of them

Comment

Hi Burto, order the two autosomal markers d2 and d19 from DNA Fingerprint and watch your results potentially change dramatically when you enter these along with the DNA Tribes data.

I paid $17 or whatever and used this plus dna tribes data in Omnipop and all of the matches changed significantly. This may "tighten up" some of the results and give you better info.

Comment

Originally posted by burto
              Hi guys,
              Yes we have a small amount of Mestizo, Haplogroupc and N4321, my mother is half British half American but her AncestrybyDNA test said European and East Asian. I was trying to link that to Native ancestry. The bar graph for that test did show a red confidence bar of up to 10% NA, but the East Asian came out as two times more likely.
              Tomcat, it was one set of values I put in...just didn't know the name of them
              burto,

It's hard to rely on the percentages test completely because it's so random. We could have great great grandparents who belonged to a specific ancestral group but it might not show up on our own test. If your mom got NA on one test and Mestizo and Hispanic on the other, the chances seem higher that there is Native American ancestry there, unless both tests are unreliable.

It's interesting that your mom got Mestizo and Hispanic matches but her father didn't have a Spanish last name and he was from America. Maybe his maternal side was Latin American and migrated to the U.S.

Another scenario is that maybe he descends from a family that was from a state that once belonged to Mexico. It might help to start your search in states like California, Arizona, Texas and New Mexico.

Another scenario is that many Native Americans from the U.S. went to Latin America and their descendants call themselves Mestizo and Hispanic. Later, they went back to the U.S. and married Europeans.

Comment

DNA Tribes update

This is a copy of an email that I received from DNA Tribes today. Thought it might be of interest to those of us who are Native American or have Native American heritage.

Dear Ms W------,
                Thank you for contacting us about our next update. We will be adding a number of new populations as well as refining our World Region analysis to include a more detailed Native American regional analysis in the comming weeks.
                Best regards,
                [email protected] Maria

Comment

Originally posted by haplogroupc
                  burto,

It's interesting that your mom got Mestizo and Hispanic matches but her father didn't have a Spanish last name and he was from America. Maybe his maternal side was Latin American and migrated to the U.S.
                  It wasn't uncommon during the War for servicemen to lie about their name. He was described as dark and of "Italian" appearance...starting to think that might be the Hispanic..could easily be confused by an Englishwoman who had never travelled further than the coast!
                  Of course it could be from his maternal side too.

Comment

Names don't necessarily mean a lot. A good friend of mine is Hispanic, looks Hispanic, but his name is Jones - one gringo got in way back in his family tree and left the name (he decided to pronounce it "Ho-naz").

Comment

Originally posted by Maria_W
                      This is a copy of an email that I received from DNA Tribes today. Thought it might be of interest to those of us who are Native American or have Native American heritage.

Dear Ms W------,
                      Thank you for contacting us about our next update. We will be adding a number of new populations as well as refining our World Region analysis to include a more detailed Native American regional analysis in the comming weeks.
                      Best regards,
                      [email protected] Maria
                      This is the news several of us have been waiting for. Hope they include several Southeastern Tribes.

Tom K.

Comment

Other tribes.

Yes. I do too because I am pretty sure that the Potowomecke were not the only tribe that I decend from in the Virginia area. My ancestors were originally Pumunkey then Wahunsenacawh (Powatan) changed their tribal affilation to Potowomeck. Some spouses are missing so no telling what tribal affilation they are. Maria

Comment

What tribe?

Tom.
                          What Southeastern tribes were you looking for. I know about the 8 state tribes in Virginia. Any from there or is it another state. Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Maria_W
                            Tom.
                            What Southeastern tribes were you looking for. I know about the 8 state tribes in Virginia. Any from there or is it another state. Maria
                            Pamunkey, Cherokee, Creek, Choctaw, Chickasaw, Catawba, Seminole and any others that they are willing to add. I here more people wanting Cherokee than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                            X