Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autosomal DNA for L3's

Hello,

I’m an L3 with no Family Tree or Mitosearch matches. My HVR-1 results are 16145A, 16223T, 16256T, 16325-, 16327T and 16330C. I understand there are four ancestries and I’d like to know if autosomal tests are beneficial for testing admixture for L3 Haplogroup? I’ve been told admixture tests only go back three generations. Is that true? I want answers but don’t want to pay for the wrong tests.

Thanks

It did for me.

Hi.
    Not sure what you mean by 4 ancestries, do you mean four anthropological groups? Not sure about the L3 part. I am H1a myself, but as you know that mtDNA. If so ,I had the AncestrybyDNA Autosomal test done. It gives percentages of the 4 anthorpological group from all of your ancesters for hundreds of years on both your mother and fathers side. Indo European, East Asian, Native American and Sub Saharan African. It showed 10% Native American and 90% European. My Native American ancestry was in the 1600's. I am Virginia Algonquian, specifically Potowomek. I have my ancestry documented from various sources, 10% isn't a mistake. I have found no proof so far of any ancestry closer than that, not saying its not there just haven't found it. So unless I have more recent Native ancestry than I guess it can go back 300 or 400 hundred years and it might work for you. Also there is DNA Tribes test too. Its a little more complicated to explain. This is my personal opinion. Maria

Comment

AncestryByDNA samples SNP's - quite stable mutations that can endure for millenia. DNATribes samples STR's - mutations more liable to change, albeit in a usually predictable fashion.

Tom

Comment

mjohn2:

according to Salas's paper on the slave trade, you would be classified as L3e3. L3e is a frequent and widely dispersed haplogroup in Africa. Salas considers L3e3 to be primarily West African.

cacio

Comment

mjohn2,

My understanding is that the Ancestry By DNA test only goes back a few generations, that it measures approximately 50 percent from each parent, 25 percent from each grandparent and 12.5 percent from each great grandparent. But since autosomal DNA is random, a person can get more or less of something from a parent. And some of it could be ancient DNA. So it's possible for your haplogroups to not show up on the test because they go back so far. But it's worth taking both the Ancestry By DNA test and the DNA Tribes test because they reveal things about your ancestry that you might not know. However, I wouldn't advise anyone to take the test with expectations. People are often surprised by what they find. I read an article in which someone said that DNA tests can reveal that you're not who you always thought you were.

Comment

Originally posted by mjohn2
            I’m an L3 with no Family Tree or Mitosearch matches. My HVR-1 results are 16145A, 16223T, 16256T, 16325-, 16327T and 16330C. I understand there are four ancestries and I’d like to know if autosomal tests are beneficial for testing admixture for L3 Haplogroup?
            If you are primarily interested in African ancestry you might look into either of the two testing services for Africans/African-Americans. Ask if they will allow you to post you Mt-DNA results with them. Ask if they offer a re-analysis service for Mt-DNA results from other labs and if they offer a specialized analysis of ABDNA results. TraceGenetics offers such services for Native American DNA based on their large database of Native American results. The African testing services have African databases.

Think the services are called African Ancestry and Afri-Genesis. Google "African DNA".

Tom

Comment

Working...
            X