Autosomal DNA Test 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autosomal DNA Test 2

If I were to do the Ancestry by DNA test.. Would they be able to show me which side of my family this particular percentage comes from?

I don't believe they can tell you which side if YOU take the test. I believe the only way would be to have both parents take the test.

Comment

No, can't tell which side.

No! The AncestrybyDNA test will only provide you with a description of your ancestral origins. The test gives you an estimated percentage from four major anthropological catergories. Indo European, East Asian, Native American and Sub Saharan Africa. It takes DNA from both sides of the family. Its a combination of both of your parents and ancestors all the way back. It only gives your percentages of your ancestral origins, what groups you belong too. I am 10% Native American and 90% Indo European. It will not tell you what tribe you come from or what city, state or country you are associated wth either. Just what percentages you are. I am personally very pleased with my results (not associated with AncestryByDNA in any way)but it does have limits. Maria

Comment

Originally posted by ntxcousin
        I don't believe they can tell you which side if YOU take the test. I believe the only way would be to have both parents take the test.
        ....but then you wonder from what grandparent this and that came from

Noaide

Comment

Originally posted by Maria_W
          I am 10% Native American and 90% Indo European.
          I am 8% Native American according to the test and my ancestors have never had their foot on the new world!

Noaide

Comment

that mean they thought your asian was indian so maybe there doing it ass backwards and if you have asian then its native american and if you have native american then your asian that explains alot

Comment

Originally posted by Noaide
              I am 8% Native American according to the test and my ancestors have never had their foot on the new world!

Noaide
              Of the 8 autosomal STR's that I can cross-reference those that score highest as Native American on an American database score highest as Finnish and Estonian on the European database. Might be evidence of the "Siberian" roots of the two populations and/or population bottlenecks both experienced leading to reduced heterozygosity.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Downer101
                If I were to do the Ancestry by DNA test.. Would they be able to show me which side of my family this particular percentage comes from?
                If your parents were ethnically distinctly different, or you have good genealogical information on one of them, you might be able to draw some useful inferences from researching the marker set employed by DNATribes. The ABDNA is okay as a general reading.

Tom

Comment

Actually I am trying to determine if my phenotype is correct, because East Baltid is Finno-Ugric influenced, and is most common among Lithuanians and Russians/Belarusians/Ukrainians. This is Siberian I have heard. If I do prove to be East Asian, and I do have it on my mother's father's (grandfather's) side (Polish/Ukrainian). Then I know I am most likely this, or Tatar. Although more likely Turkic, since many Sami were proved to have European descent. So in order to prove I have this East Asian DNA, it means I am Tatar, or that Finno-Ugrics have a more eastern mongoloid factor to them. This could be a breakthrough for my research . If I don't (which I highly doubt, but do not exclude), I could be South Asian (Gypsy). This would explain my eastern european ancestor's thick straight black hair, and olive-tinged skin. The reason I doubt it is because my great grandmother from Poland or Ukraine had a really round face which was flat, and her nose was very flat as well. This could may have well been the significant factor that first led me to believe she was partially East Asian. The area she was born was perfect too; Poland, Galicja, Ukraine region. This area from the history I know was a hot spot, per say of Turkic and Mongoloid tribes, as well as slightly less and earlier Finno-Ugric (Uralic) ones. I hope this might help you to understand why this is very important to me.

Comment

Downer,

Sorting-out genetic inheritance from maternal and paternal lines is not the most interesting part of your problem. The most interesting part of your problem is sorting-out the difference between the various "Asian" ancestries you have named - Finno-Ugric, Siberian, Tatar, Turk, Gypsy(Romany) East or South Asian.

You might look for an autosomal testing company in eastern Europe with a comprehensive reference database of population statistics for all the Asian influences you believe to be part of your ancestry.

If you find one, please let the rest of us know about it.

Tom

Comment

That's great, but I must prove this first. Also my father is part Pennsylvanian Dutch which I heard many had East Asian influence for some apparent reason. So this could get very confusing! At least I will know I have some ancestors in the East. This will give me a whole new perspective on "AZN Pride!". hehe.

Comment

I thought DNA tribes doesn't go back as far as ABDNA.. Well I guess I'm donna have to ask, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Downer101
                          I thought DNA tribes doesn't go back as far as ABDNA.. Well I guess I'm donna have to ask, does it?
                          I thought DNA tribes doesn't go back as far as ABDNA.. Well I guess I'm donna have to ask, does it? It's weird I guess since these words don't look to promising, "which a person's genetic profile is most likely, which might correspond", (DNA Tribes). I'm also conserned for the fact that there aren't that many populations.. Well, at least many of them I already know I am, and other I am not interested in.

Comment

I did an admixture calculation using DNATribes thirteen markers plus D2 and D16 that are needed for the European reference population database - a total of fifteen markers. I researched them allele-by-allele - thirty alleles - on the Canadian and European databases.

Assigned each best match a 3.33 value and added them up. The results = 56.60% European, 36.63% Native American, 6.66% Sub-Saharan African. This agrees with my ABDNA 2.5 of 60% European, 31% Native American and 9% Sub-Saharan African.

So atSTR's are every bit as "indicative of ancestry" as atSNP's. And you can DIY!

Tom

Comment

Where do I find the math for calculating this?

Originally posted by tomcat
                              I did an admixture calculation using DNATribes thirteen markers plus D2 and D16 that are needed for the European reference population database - a total of fifteen markers. I researched them allele-by-allele - thirty alleles - on the Canadian and European databases.

Assigned each best match a 3.33 value and added them up. The results = 56.60% European, 36.63% Native American, 6.66% Sub-Saharan African. This agrees with my ABDNA 2.5 of 60% European, 31% Native American and 9% Sub-Saharan African.

So atSTR's are every bit as "indicative of ancestry" as atSNP's. And you can DIY!

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X