No announcement yet.

Autosomal Confusion: Omnipop vs. DNA Tribes vs. ENSFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you find the autosomal population information from ENFSI, is it somewhere on http://www.enfsi.org/ ???

Comment

Originally posted by Nagelfar
      Where do you find the autosomal population information from ENFSI, is it somewhere on http://www.enfsi.org/ ???
      I believe this link is what you are looking for:

http://www.str-base.org/index.php

John

p.s. Hopefully, you will be less confused than I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnserrat
        We've all 'been there' and are here to help. Maybe you will figure-out a new gimmick.

'Success is going from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm!'

Comment

Originally posted by Johnserrat
          I believe this link is what you are looking for:

http://www.str-base.org/index.php

John

Much better than OmniPop, Thanks. My top match is from Austria, where my great grandfather came from, rather than having the top three matches around Spain, as OmniPop shows them. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nagelfar
            Much better than OmniPop, Thanks. My top match is from Austria, where my great grandfather came from, rather than having the top three matches around Spain, as OmniPop shows them. Thanks!
            Wait, nevermind. Is Austria always at the top? ;-P

Comment

yes, it's alphabetical.
              But if you look at the numbers, maybe it's still tops for you...

Comment

maybe alphabetical in bizarro world!
                but the table is fixed, so the same countries are
                always in the same order...
                ie, your fear was right.

Comment

Ordering the two more markers

Originally posted by NormanGalway
                  I ordered the extra two markers from DNA Fingerprint to round out the results and lo and behold Omnipop now agrees with ENSFI. However, they still "disagree" with Tribes because Tribes lacks Scandinavian data.

Lesson Learned: take everything with a grain of salt until you get the complete panel.

You get the Tribes results and add D2 and D19 from DNA-F in order to do this.
                  I ordered them too. I should have ordered them to begin with, but live and learn... I am still trying to figure all this stuff out, but have learned a lot from this message board and the generous help the members give. I would have been through my fifth bottle of tylenol by now if I didn't have help of these kind people! Kelly

Comment

The Whole Earth is a Melting Pot...

Originally posted by Eki
                    Omnipop is an American forensics tool designed for American forensic analysis. It seems to contain American populations that most likely are of mixed ethnicity due to being in the "melting pot" as the US is sometimes called. ENFSI is a European service and contains populations from Europe. So, my guess is, if you want to know your dominant American ethnicity, Omnipop is your tool, if you want to know your dominant European ethnicity, ENFSI is your tool. It's not that one tool is better than the other, they are just designed to serve different geographical areas.
                    I think this term "Melting Pot" is a bit overexaggerated. It gives us the wrong impression that everywhere except in the Western Hemisphere was isolated. I'm sure there were countless untold several millenia of admixtures going on since our creation; the further back we go, the less the admixture. What I do agree with is that North America became a "bigger" melting pot per se after the settlers came over from the "Old World." And same holds true for Europe as every period or age that has passed, has brought more people in from all over the world. So this concept of "Melting Pot" is really a misnomer.

Comment

search engine results

I noticed too that the first reading can be confusing. Re mtDNA, I recently took their "differences" to mean that it was my differences. But it turned out to be differences from the collection of markers at the top. In one case, I am only one difference from a few Porugese (spelling?) and Brazilians. But other markers were added to what I entered to be compared; meaning that those people have more mutations than I do.

Since the Iberian peninsula was a major Ice Age refuge for various western haplogroups, it shouldn't be siurprising that we have some very old relatives still living there.

All this is just my current opinion - which changes almost daily.

U5b2 & R1A1

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN
                        Since the Iberian peninsula was a major Ice Age refuge for various western haplogroups, it shouldn't be siurprising that we have some very old relatives still living there.
                        Yeah, but since the people closer to around the areas of your ancestry also came from there; only in a closer time frame to you than the people still there, you should match with those of your near descent first. Unless there is something to that taxonomy of 'paleo-atlantid' throwback types.

Comment

Tonight I found out that my ENFSI top match is the same as my DNAtribes match: Portugal. This week I found out my omnipop scores from another forum member, using the markers I got from my dnatribes. Of 26 alleles, I had 9 of them, thru Omnipop, come out as Native American. I was given 04% (four percent?!?) European, 20% black, 36% American Indian, 12% East Asian, etc. I emailed dnatribes to complain and read their response tonight. Here is a quote from the response:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your results. I have reviewed all files and verified that the reports delivered to you by email include analysis for your own DNA sample labeled with your name and unique tracking number.

DNA Tribes analysis differs substantially from freely available programs such as OmniPop, and we cannot warrant or interpret OmniPop results. Our own algorithms were developed for DNA Tribes by Eduardas Valaitis (Ph.D. in Statistics, Yale University). We are not familiar with the algorithms which delivered your percentages below, but they are not consistent with results identified with the DNA Tribes algorithms.

DNA Tribes results identify a primarily Northwest European affiliation for your DNA profile, consistent with your known ancestry primarily from the British Isles.
                          Last edited by rainbow; 27 April 2007, 09:36 PM.

Comment

The "Portuguese" Enigma

Portugal is kind of a weird result in these autosomal tests - for those who have no known Portuguese ancestry. 600 years ago wouldn't count because statistically, it's virtually certain that you would have no alleles from that person.

I've noticed the following:
                            1) More North Americans seem to get Portuguese "results" than are warranted by population statistics - I don't have the precise numbers, but frankly Portugal is not a big source country of US immigration. In parts of Latin America and Puerto Rico, yes, but not so much here.
                            2) the people who get "Portugal" seem to have at least some known NA ancestry, or putative NA ancestry, according to the autosomal testing companies

These are just anecdotal observations, and therefore carry no weight as such, but frankly anyone who gets "portugal" - and does not have a Portuguese grandparent (or at the very least great-grandparent) -- is probably looking at a stand-in for something else.

That something else is up to you to discover.
                            Similarly, I believe that Finland and Estonia are also overrepresented in the results, and could well mean something else.
                            Last edited by NormanGalway; 28 April 2007, 07:03 PM.

Comment

If you got Portuguese matches from Tribes, why not pop open your copy of Omnipop and hit the Data tab, find the Portuguese samples and note the alleles most frequent among the Portuguese. Compare the 'Portuguese' alleles to your own allelic profile. Do you got a lot of 'Portuguese' alleles? Do you have just a few 'Portuguese' alleles? If you have less than the full 'Portuguese' set, maybe you got a core Portuguese modal set? (There might be more than one Portuguese modal set).

You can do this with any population matches you got if the populations are in Omnipop.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat
                                If you got Portuguese matches from Tribes, why not pop open your copy of Omnipop and hit the Data tab, find the Portuguese samples and note the alleles most frequent among the Portuguese. Compare the 'Portuguese' alleles to your own allelic profile. Do you got a lot of 'Portuguese' alleles? Do you have just a few 'Portuguese' alleles? If you have less than the full 'Portuguese' set, maybe you got a core Portuguese modal set? (There might be more than one Portuguese modal set).

You can do this with any population matches you got if the populations are in Omnipop.
                                Hmmm...
                                I have no clue how to do that..I actually can't do too much with OMNIPOP..is there a tutorial?Where is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X