World view on the Finnish in 1924

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paul_Johnsen
    Well, that's enough time for your shameless attempt at hijacking of most of our culture and history all in order to enhance your own haplogroup in your case or Noaide's claim that his people are the only template for the original people in Scandinavia in his case.
    Hijacking your culture? I thought I was just widening the scope. If you don't like that, why don't you also deny that people from Norway settled Iceland and later Greenland?

And if you want to play by the present day borders, the first European to spot America was a descendant of a Swede, not a Norwegian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A4rjedalen

"Jämtland and Härjedalen were originally provinces of Norway, but in early 1645 they were both ceded by Denmark-Norway to Sweden by the Treaty of Brömsebro. The province of Härjedalen is named after a powerful Norseman who had to flee east from the Norwegian court of king Halfdan Svartes after killing one of the king's men (with a horn). Thereafter he was known as "Härjulf Hornbrytaren." For a time he entered the service of the Svea (Swedish today) king Anund, until he eloped with that king's sister, Helga, and together they disappeared into the remote location in the region eventually named after him. Today a statue stands dedicated to them in the village of Lillhärdal. Härjulf and Helga were the foreparents to the Icelander, Barne Härjulfsson, who was the first Norseman to see the "new world" when he was blown off-course whilst on a voyage to Greenland. His boat is the one Leif Eriksson acquired about 15 years later for Leif's famed landing on Vineland."
    Last edited by Eki; 16 November 2006, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eki
      Hijacking your culture? I thought I was just widening the scope. If you don't like that, why don't you also deny that people from Norway settled Iceland and later Greenland?
      Because there is a mountain of historical and genetic evidence that they came from Western Norway, unlike for Western Finland.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul_Johnsen
        Because there is a mountain of historical and genetic evidence that they came from Western Norway, unlike for Western Finland.
        I think there's also genetic, archaeological and linguistic evidence that they came to Western Finland too, not just to Iceland and Greenland. But that was few hundreds years earlier when there wasn't written history yet.

Comment

• Paul,

It's said here that the Fairhair dynasty came from Oppland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scylfing

"The Fairhair dynasty, descending from the kings of Oppland, Norway."

According to this map, Oppland is in inland Norway along the river route
          I described. How do you expect them to have gotten there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppland

Comment

• Originally posted by vraatyah
            formally, yes, it's the highest value. On the other hand, it's not of much relevance due to some disproportion caused by drift.
            Actually, I was not correct because these samples overlap.

2 Paul_Johnsen

On Saami.

Sajantila 1995; Saami Inari; N=22
            Dupuy 1996; Saami Karasjok; N= 133
            Sajantila 1995; Saami Karasjok; N=20
            Dupuy 1996; Saami Kautokeino; N=64
            Kittles 1999; Saami Lund; N=28
            Sajantila 1995; Saami Norrbotten; N=25
            Delghandi 1998; Saami; N=61
            Tambets 2004; Saami; N=73
            Sajantila 1995; Saami Skolt; N=47
            Tonks 2006; Saami, Russia; N=86

24 Asian lineages out of 559 = 4.29% which is much less than 9% appeared
            in a random sample you cited (which is included in the above one).

About the table at

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...e=table&id=TB3

European Russia (103 from Orekhov et al. 1999 and
            112 from Sajantila et al. 1995
            Russians from Orekhov 1999, 3 Asian lineages of 103
            Karelians, Mari and Mordvinians, 4 of 117

This yields 3.2% totally. Where is 6%?

Finland (74 from Kittles et al. 1999, 23 from Pult et al. 1994, and 29 from Richards et al. 1996), Estonia (26 from Sajantila et al. 1995)
            No Asian lineages in that sample.
            Last edited by vraatyah; 7 December 2006, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• Asian influence in Saami DNA?

Here's a link to a recent article discussing Saami DNA and suggesting the possibility of some Asian influence:

http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v.../5201712a.html

If I'm understanding it, I think this article is suggesting that the Finns share this Asian influence.
              Last edited by jaranta; 18 December 2006, 01:48 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

• Originally posted by jaranta
                Here's a link to a recent article discussing Saami DNA and suggesting the possibility of some Asian influence:

http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v.../5201712a.html

If I'm understanding it, I think this article is suggesting that the Finns share this Asian influence.
                "An important mtDNA study of the Sámi populations in Finland revealed that their mtDNA profile differs from the general Finnish population. The study showed that 42% of the Sámi carry the mtDNA haplogroup V and 45% carry the haplotype U5b1b1. Both of these are found in less than 7% of the general Finnish population. Scientists are actively debating who were the deep ancestors to the Sámi populations. [Tambets et al] "

No wonder if Saami look slighly different than Finns on average.

Also to note:

"It suggests that the large genetic separation of the Saami from other Europeans is best explained by assuming that the Saami are descendants of a narrow, distinctive subset of Europeans. In particular, no evidence of a significant directional gene flow from extant aboriginal Siberian populations into the haploid gene pools of the Saami was found."

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1181943

As a sidenote, and to further beat the dead horse, (a study I cannot remember a link to right away) the highest amount of blondism in Finland and world occurs in South Savonia, which has some 80 % of y haplotype N3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Visa
                  As a sidenote, and to further beat the dead horse, (a study I cannot remember a link to right away) the highest amount of blondism in Finland and world occurs in South Savonia, which has some 80 % of y haplotype N3.
                  North Savonia have mtDNA hg H at 53%. The average for Finland is 41%.

Noaide

Comment

Working...
                  X