Email Replies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Replies

As a new customer I would like to express my pleasure (and surprise) at the rapid and courteous email replies that I have received in answer to my questions. Thank you.

Noreen

Re: Email Replies

Originally posted by npmcl
    As a new customer I would like to express my pleasure (and surprise) at the rapid and courteous email replies that I have received in answer to my questions. Thank you.

Noreen
    Hi Noreen,

Always welcome (in my name and in the name of the others who may have replied to you...)
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

which test??

Dear Sir, I am in a quandary about which test I should order. My 5th great-grandfather was Jean-Jacques Cart who was Swiss. I have been contacted by a gentleman from Louisiana whose last name is Cart. He can follow his genealogy back to his 3rd great grandfather Cart, and has always been told his family came from Switzerland, but he cannot connect to the Cart family there to which I am able to connect. He wishes to establish a genetic connection between my Cart ancestors and his. I do not know which test would give us the results for which we are looking since I am female, I have no brothers, and the line is not in my father's ancestry. I do have a son, however. who would be a descendant of this line. My ancestral line follows thus: Karin Schoonmaker Fullam, Caroline Patricia Barton Schoonmaker, Alice Elizabeth Carson Barton, Caroline Johnson Heath Carson, John Cantine Heath, Susan Cantine Heath, Jacqueline Marguerite Cart Cantine, Jean-Jacques Cart. Any help you can give would be appreciated. The gentleman from Louisiana is 84 and has incentive to get this accomplished soon. Thank you. Karin Fullam

Comment

Karin, it looks as though you will have to do the tracking of your relationship and the gentleman from Lousiana strictly the old-fashioned way -- through written records. However, he might do the Ydna test to get his on record in case subsequent members of his family show up. (maybe even both tests, and high resolution). I notice that you are a Schoonmaker. My brother-in-law is a Schoonmaker. The family came from the Newburgh, NY area and came to NY in the 1630s. They have very good records and a family library there. If you are interested in making contact, let me know and I will put you in touch with him.

Comment

thank you

Originally posted by whitkeen
          Karin, it looks as though you will have to do the tracking of your relationship and the gentleman from Lousiana strictly the old-fashioned way -- through written records. However, he might do the Ydna test to get his on record in case subsequent members of his family show up. (maybe even both tests, and high resolution). I notice that you are a Schoonmaker. My brother-in-law is a Schoonmaker. The family came from the Newburgh, NY area and came to NY in the 1630s. They have very good records and a family library there. If you are interested in making contact, let me know and I will put you in touch with him.
          Dear Sir - I am a member of the Schoonmaker Family Association - they are wonderful people, have you gone to New Paltz, NY and visited the 300 year old Dutch homes there? There is a Schoonmaker Library there also, (also descended from 5 of the original Patentees - Deyo, LeFevre, Hasbrouck, Freer and DuBois, as well as Blanchan, Swartwout, Roosa, Louw, Van Wagenen, Van Schoonhoven, Viele and others). My grandfather Ralph Schoonmaker, son of Merritt was born in Kingston on Elizabeth Street. My Aunt Barbara Jean Schoonmaker Chase lives in Fishkill. I will suggest to Mr. Cart that he order a test of Ydna and/or mitochondrial dna for himself, he has a line on a cousin who is trying to come up with a tie-in with Swiss records. Thank you for your reply. Karin S. Fullam

Comment

Re: which test??

Originally posted by Karin Fullam
            Dear Sir, I am in a quandary about which test I should order. My 5th great-grandfather was Jean-Jacques Cart who was Swiss. I have been contacted by a gentleman from Louisiana whose last name is Cart. He can follow his genealogy back to his 3rd great grandfather Cart, and has always been told his family came from Switzerland, but he cannot connect to the Cart family there to which I am able to connect. He wishes to establish a genetic connection between my Cart ancestors and his. I do not know which test would give us the results for which we are looking since I am female, I have no brothers, and the line is not in my father's ancestry. I do have a son, however. who would be a descendant of this line. My ancestral line follows thus: Karin Schoonmaker Fullam, Caroline Patricia Barton Schoonmaker, Alice Elizabeth Carson Barton, Caroline Johnson Heath Carson, John Cantine Heath, Susan Cantine Heath, Jacqueline Marguerite Cart Cantine, Jean-Jacques Cart. Any help you can give would be appreciated. The gentleman from Louisiana is 84 and has incentive to get this accomplished soon. Thank you. Karin Fullam
            Hi Karin,

Do you have any male relatives that are descendants on a direct male line from Jean-Jacques Cart? If yes, than the Y-DNA from this person could be compared to this gentleman from Louisianna.
            Max
            Max Blankfeld
            Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
            A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Re: Re: which test??

Originally posted by max
              Hi Karin,

Do you have any male relatives that are descendants on a direct male line from Jean-Jacques Cart? If yes, than the Y-DNA from this person could be compared to this gentleman from Louisianna.
              Max
              Dear Max - I figured from what I learned in biology
              that the female lineage in my ancestry to Jean-Jacques Cart would eliminate any benefit to Ydna testing of my line. Jean-Jacques went back to Switzerland with his son or sons in the late 1700's, so all descendants of his in this country in my line are children of Jacqueline, which is again unhelpful. I guess what Mr. Cart would have to do is to have himself tested and see if any Cart descendants in another male line have data in your database. Thank you for your help. Karin Fullam

Comment

Working...
              X