X-STR and genealogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-STR and genealogy

Could someone please explain to me how X-STR tests may help genealogical researches?
    Why FtDNA don't make such tests? I saw this service on DNA-Fingerprint website. There is the X-matches database.

As FTDNA has recently agreed to but DNA-F, FTDNA will soon be offering DNA-F's two X-STR panels and possibly other X-tests as DNA-F develops them (see press-release on FTDNA's homepage).

The X-chromosome offer a way to test back into maternal and paternal line outside the narrow windows of Y and Mito DNA's with greater certainty than is currently available through Autosomal DNA tests.

If you are male your single X is (nominally) a 50/50 mix of your maternal grandparents. If you are female your additional X would offer additional information about your paternal grandparents.

The database of x-results, such as ethnic markers or population frequencies of markers, is much less developed than those for Y, Mito and Autosomal DNA's but can be expected to develop rather quickly.

I have ordered and am waiting for my two X-STR panel results.

Tom

Comment

Tom

Would you tell me where was ordered your X-STR panels? DNA-Fingerprint? How much does it cost? I have never seen X-STR results.

Comment

Yes, I ordered through DNA-F prior to August 1 which was the date on which DNA-F ordering was to be consolidated with FTDNA. Hence you might wish to write FTDNA to understand their policy. Or write DNA-F. Also, if you already have DNA on file with FTDNA you "ought" to be able to have it released to DNA-F and save the cost of another extraction.

DNA-F has a price list downloadable from their site, although post-August prices may be different. When I ordered one xSTR panel cost $47.12 and the second $62. I did not pay for an extraction because DNA-F had a sample on file from when they did an autosomal panel for a DNATribes analysis.

DNA-F hosts an X-STR database on their site on which you can post your results. I imagine FTDNA will soon have something similar.

Tom

Comment

New dna-Kit send to me or DNA-f use my dna-sample which have FtDNA ... I don't understand.

Comment

DNA-Fingerprint, like other labs, has/had a "modular" pricing policy for their labwork - separate cost for test kit, separate cost for extraction, separate cost for sequencing, separate cost for report etc.

So, if they had or could be furnished with an already extracted DNA sample one need only pay for additional sequencing, etc.

Now that FTDNA owns DNA-Fingerprint, any sample that you had "on-file" with FTDNA "ought' to be immediately available to DNA-F and any sample on-file with DNA-F ought to be immediately available to FTDNA.

Write FTDNA an email and ask what procedure to follow.

Tom

Comment

This new FAQ on DNA-FP's website should help answer some of these questions:

http://www.dna-fingerprint.com/modul...q=yes&id_cat=1

Comment

Originally posted by efgen
                This new FAQ on DNA-FP's website should help answer some of these questions:

http://www.dna-fingerprint.com/modul...q=yes&id_cat=1
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X