DNA Genealogy Non-profit Organization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Genealogy Non-profit Organization

"GENEALOGYFOUND works with other non-profit and for-profit organizations in developing new ideas for humanitarian, educational and historical events projects."

Their first project that is underway is "Jamestowne and Colonial Virginia
    Genealogy & DNA Project."

This is a link to their press release:

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2006/8/emw417648.htm

Originally posted by Pleroma
    "GENEALOGYFOUND works with other non-profit and for-profit organizations in developing new ideas for humanitarian, educational and historical events projects."

I don't quite understand this remark:

“We want to build an Internet research database for everyone, and spark a patriotic sense of ‘Maybe my ancestors came through Jamestowne’. People will be excited to tie into this historic time period and location,” Arnett remarked.

Rather than patriotism, due to DNA study, I have gained a feeling that my ancestors have not lived here forever and they have offspring in other parts of the world too.

Comment

Here's another quote from http://www.genealogyfound.org/jamestowne_2007.htm that gets my goat:

"That Nation, the United States of America, was to become the mightiest of nations, having the greatest economy, become the most industrially developed, become the world leader in diplomacy, all the while having the most ethnically diverse population of any nation in the world."

Nobody else sees the U.S. that way. It seems that the Americans consider their ancestors and their other branches of offspring as some sort of inferior beings who can't take care of themselves, and roam around the world trying to fix what they think are "problems". No wonder there's so much anti-Americanism in the world these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Eki
        Here's another quote from http://www.genealogyfound.org/jamestowne_2007.htm that gets my goat:

"That Nation, the United States of America, was to become the mightiest of nations, having the greatest economy, become the most industrially developed, become the world leader in diplomacy, all the while having the most ethnically diverse population of any nation in the world."

Nobody else sees the U.S. that way. It seems that the Americans consider their ancestors and their other branches of offspring as some sort of inferior beings who can't take care of themselves, and roam around the world trying to fix what they think are "problems". No wonder there's so much anti-Americanism in the world these days.
        Why don't you keep your anti-American crap to yourself.

If you don't like what that foundation has to say, fine: don't support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
          Why don't you keep your anti-American crap to yourself.

If you don't like what that foundation has to say, fine: don't support it.

I do support it. I just think they should keep the "patriotic propaganda" out of it, otherwise it's comparable to some white or other supremacists launching their own DNA project.

Comment

Here's what you wrote:

Originally posted by Eki
            That was a totally unnecessary and inflammatory political commentary, out of place in a forum like this one, which should remain blissfully apolitical.

Your ridiculous follow-up, in which you say that foundation's patriotic rhetoric makes it "comparable to some white or other supremacists launching their own DNA project," is likewise offensive.

This not the first time you have given vent to your anti-American animus.

Lucky for you I am not the administrator of this web site. I would boot your sorry *** for good.

Comment

Lucky for you I am not the administrator of this web site. I would boot your sorry *** for good.
              And that shows your intolerance for differing opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Eki
                And that shows your intolerance for differing opinions.
                I am intolerant of the poorly expressed opinions of the ill-informed, yes, as well as the introduction of divisive politics into this forum.

If you want to talk politics and bash the USA, I'm sure you can find plenty of venues for that elsewhere.

Comment

I am intolerant of the poorly expressed opinions of the ill-informed, yes, as well as the introduction of divisive politics into this forum.

If you want to talk politics and bash the USA, I'm sure you can find plenty of venues for that elsewhere.
                  All I'm trying to say is that it's nice if you can trace your roots to Jamestowne, but wouldn't it be nicer if you could trace your roots beyond that? A nicer and more polite approach might make more people outside the US want to join their project. For example, if someone would start a project tracing the roots of Finns in the US and approached me with an attitude like that trying to make me feel inferior, I probably wouldn't be much tempted to join. I'd probably just think "figure it out by yourself, if you're so bloody marvelous".

Comment

Keeping on the topic of Genealogy-Found and their website:

As an person who is not American, I did find the language on the site to be a little extreme but felt that it was more a reflection of mediocre writing skills than of a supremacist political view. Racial supremacists usually are threatened by DNA genealogy.

Also, not all the descendants of Colonial Virginians are going to be "white."

Comment

I thought the "mightiest of nations," etc. rhetoric was silly myself, but I don't think it justified Eki's response, i.e., his going on to generalize about Americans interfering in the rest of the world's business, believing themselves superior, and so on.

That was unwelcome anti-American political bombast, and not the first he has engaged in it.

We don't need political speeches and arguments here. They are completely out of place.

Comment

NON PROFIT doesnt mean well mannered it means no money after bookeeping for taxes

Comment

Salt Lake City, UT (PRWEB) August 1, 2006 -- Heirlines Family History & Genealogy is merging genealogy with modern science. It has teamed up with Relative Genetics and GenealogyFound to show that after 400 years millions of Americans can trace their family tree back to the Jamestowne colony and Colonial Virginia. DNA testing and genealogical research is combining to help Jamestown descendants jump the pond and find their immigrant origins from Europe and other nations.
                          I don't see anything "not for profit" here - it offers links to to "for profit" compaines. One with a slick website for "generic" genealogy research - no one who's done any genealogic research would sign up for anything this ambiguous. The other is a known commercial DNA testing company that uses smgf for their testing.

I don't see any official connection to http://www.jamestown2007.org although it's mentioned in the press release or http://www.jamestowne.org/QualAncestors.htm , the organization of Jamestown descendants.

As far as I can see, this project has nothing directly to do with descendants of the original Jamestown settlers.

Rod (who has a qualified ancestor (even if they did send the troublemaker back to England), but isn't a yDNA descendant)
                          Last edited by rod; 5 August 2006, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I thought the "mightiest of nations," etc. rhetoric was silly myself, but I don't think it justified Eki's response, i.e., his going on to generalize about Americans interfering in the rest of the world's business, believing themselves superior, and so on.
                            It would have been quite sufficient to compare the "mightiest of nations" rhetoric to the typical Soviet propaganda of the Cold War.

Did you know that бейзбол is an old Russian game?

Comment

Working...
                            X