Haplogroup T* help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup T* help please

My mom got her test done to verify that she is 1/4 cherokee because my great-grandmother refused or for some reason did not have a roll card. Her test came up Haplogroup T*. I have no idea what this means and my mother is pretty computer illiterate and definately is clueless as to figuring out these test results. I myself am definitely in uncharted waters. Can anyone help me figure out what the heck all this is about?

Her result certificate says that she is Haplogroup T* and the numbers associated with it are:
    16126C
    16182C
    16183C
    16189C
    16294T
    16296T
    16298C
    16519C

From my research this means that these results do NOT prove her native American ancestry, is that correct? If so I don't understand because anyone that saw a picture of my great-grandmother could never think of her as anything other than a native american. If these results do not prove my mothers native american heritage then is there further steps that can be taken to do so?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can provide any help. This is all Very confusing to me.

My mitochondrial clade is also T. This group is primarily European, with a declining distribution throughout the Middle East.

If any matriline belongs to T, it is NOT Native American.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Thank you, I was kinda getting that idea from my research but what confuses me is that my great-grandmother WAS Cherokee Indian so why doesn't the native American show up in the test at all? My Great-grandmothers husband was Irish and my mothers father is full blooded German so i do understand that the majority of our heritage is european. However, from what I read, and I readily admit that I could be reading it wrong or misunderstanding, a womans dna brings up the female heritage in her and a man's the males? So if this is how it works shouldn't it have some indication of the native american ancestory as well?

Comment

Originally posted by kerriella
        However, from what I read, and I readily admit that I could be reading it wrong or misunderstanding, a womans dna brings up the female heritage in her and a man's the males?
        Mitochondrial DNA is inherited from the mother's mother's mother's mother[...]. That is the only ancestral line that an mtDNA test can examine.

Comment

Originally posted by kerriella
          Thank you, I was kinda getting that idea from my research but what confuses me is that my great-grandmother WAS Cherokee Indian so why doesn't the native American show up in the test at all?
          In looking through your matches on MitoSearch, I came across this one. Is it you, or someone in your situation?

CGFST
          ---
          According to oral tradition, Nancy Gentry was of Cherokee descent. She moved with her family from Tennessee to Clark County, Arkansas, in 1817. During the 1830s she lived with her husband James Little and children in Washington County, Arkansas. Several of her neighbors were of documented Cherokee descent or had family connections with documented Cherokees. Nancy's mother's name was possibly "Delilah Clark." Her father was likely Tyre Gentry of South Carolina.
          ---

In these forums we have encountered many people who thought they were Native American--specifically, Cherokee--but who got an mtDNA result that looks European. The simplest explanation is that the matrilineal line actually goes back to some 16th- or 17th-century settler woman who, willingly or not, married or at least had a child by a Cherokee man. A typical example might be that of the lost Roanoke colony:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke...he_lost_colony

Comment

Working...
          X