388 12 449 33 cdya 38
    439 10 464a 14 cdyb 38
    389-1 14 464b 14 442 13
    392 11 464c 16 438 10
    389-2 32 464d 16
    458 19 460 11

Comment

Originally posted by Rossi
      Okay. I have two close matches in the LA settlement of the Basques with a minimal haplotype on YHRD. Anyway:

Possibilities:

1. Pre or post LGM incursion into the Iberian Peninsula from North Africa but with relatives moving into Middle East and ultimately embracing Judaism.
      conhecture
      2. Balkan expansion into Iberia but with relatives moving into the Middle East and ultimately embracing Judaism.
      conjecture
      3. Arrival with the Phoenicians (Iberians), the Hebrew connection (Conjecture).
      conjecture
      4. Arrival with the Celts, the Hebrew connection (Conjecture).
      conjecture
      5. Conversion of relatives to Judaism at a later time.
      conjecture
      6. Your line disavowing the Hebrew or Jewish connection at a later date.
      conjecture
      7] romans bring it
      conjecture
      8] PREHISTORIC nEOLITHIC FARMERS
      conjecture

I am sure I missed other possibilities.

If DYS391 is 11 and DYS19 is 14 in your haplotype then I would pick option 4.

everthing is conjecture except matches if i was to match a large amount of germans.its not a stretch for my irish to be german to.if you match chinesse thats important. so to is matching askenazis

Comment

Non-Jewish,with Ashkenazi-markers.

...up to a maximum of 3 or 4 mutation matches for Samarian or Ashkenazi...please sign in here. Just curious. Only those with absolutely no known Jewish heritage please.

I would fit here.
        Hello,
        As I told before...I have them at step 4 on my Haplogroup-list(7markers).
        The Ashkenazi's had an important "input" in Europe...
        that's my opinion
        Nas

Comment

Everywhere I turn the numbers produce an elusive picture. Even with that little phrase of Jim quoting Rossi: "If DYS391 is 11 and DYS19 is 14 in your haplotype then I would pick option 4." My DYS391 is 11, but DYS19 is 13.

Thats why I expect upgrading to at least 25 markers (my results are due on November 8) will sift out some of the confusion. Right now I'm balanced between a huge amount (relatively--percentage wise, but not the hundreds that the R's and mtH's get) of Ukranian/Lithuanian/Polish and Russian near- matches, a few Spanish near-matches (who, from looking around the internet, I can pin a few down to being involved in "Converso" discussions) and a singleton here and there of more distant matches from countries in between.

Comment

Originally posted by nas
            Hello,
            As I told before...I have them at step 4 on my Haplogroup-list(7markers).
            The Ashkenazi's had an important "input" in Europe...
            that's my opinion
            Nas

dna agrees with this too

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning
              everthing is conjecture except matches if i was to match a large amount of germans.its not a stretch for my irish to be german to.if you match chinesse thats important. so to is matching askenazis
              Is there any info about the amount of Ashkenazis shown by FTDNA?

For instance I get most matches from Germany; 18 1-step mutation matches and 54 2-step mutation matches and my RAO shows figures like Germany (4264) so it is actually only 0.4% respectively 1.3%of all RAO:s from Germany, as for instance Greece (290) gives me 10 1-step mutation matches
              and 13 2-step mutations matches or 3.1% respectively 4.5% of all RAO:s from Greece.

I could make some sense to see the actual Ashkenazi matches in %.

Comment

e3b2

I have only one match 12 DAVID matches exact 12

Comment

...up to a maximum of 3 or 4 mutation matches for Samarian or Ashkenazi...please sign in here. Just curious. Only those with absolutely no known Jewish heritage please.

I would fit here.
                  Hi there family hehe..E3B right !! I just got my test today. I'm an E3B1 with no known Jewish ancestry. My background is Lebanese Maronite Christian and my mother is Orthodox. I know that my paternal line has lines to the Hashem family name from the year 1534 AD and that they have lived in the same region pretty much since then.

I'm pretty new at this and so any insight or comments people can leave would be greatly appreciated!!

Here's my info:

E3b1

M35+ M78+ M96+ P2+ M107- M123- M136- M148- M165- M2- M281- M34- M81-

12 Marker Y-DNA Matches

One Step Mutations

E2b Gambia 1
                  E3b Uzbekistan 1

Two Step Mutations

E3b Germany 1
                  E3b Italy 1
                  E3b Unknown Origin 2
                  E3b1 Guatemala 1
                  E3b1 Unknown Origin 1

3 Step Mutations

E3b Belarus Ashkenazi (Babruysk) 1
                  E3b Germany 1
                  E3b Greece 1
                  E3b Italy 1
                  E3b Lebanon 1
                  E3b Sicily 1
                  E3b Unknown Origin 2
                  E3b1 England 1
                  E3b1 Spain 1

4 Step Mutations

E3b Belarus 1
                  E3b Egypt 1
                  E3b England 2
                  E3b Estonia 1
                  E3b France 1
                  E3b Germany 3
                  E3b Hungary 1
                  E3b Israel Samaritan 7
                  E3b Italy 1
                  E3b Poland 1
                  E3b Russia 1
                  E3b Spain 1
                  E3b Ukraine Bessarabia 1
                  E3b Unknown Origin 4
                  E3b Unknown Origin Ashkenazi 1
                  E3b1 England 2
                  E3b1 Greece 1
                  E3b1 Libya 1
                  E3b1 Ukraine 1
                  E3b1 Unknown Origin 5
                  E3b1 Wales 1
                  E3b3a Unknown Origin 1

12 Marker Y-DNA Matches For Countries

One Step Mutations

Gambia (50) 1
                  Germany (4442) 1
                  Uzbekistan (145) 1

Two Step Mutations

England (9809) 3
                  Germany (4442) 3
                  Greece (301) 1
                  Guatemala (14) 1
                  Ireland (5247) 1
                  Italy (1088) 1
                  Russia (1789) 1
                  Scotland (4206) 1
                  United Kingdom (3305) 1

Comment

Hmm....tough crowd. No comment by anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by royroy
                      Hmm....tough crowd. No comment by anyone?

Royroy, I enjoy seeing your results posted and comparing them with mine.

I think there's not much of a response because a few later E3b threads have answered some of the questions about Ashkenazi and Shephardi matches. In a nutshell, I think most of us have realized that except on rare occasions discovered in more advanced testing, we're just not that close if at 12 markers we're even a number or two off. 3 or 4 mutation differences are a huge gulf.

If I can boldly state what I observe (at least this is my take) we E3b's are excited over the handfull of matches and near matches that we have. Each one is a rare and precious trust. Then we hear from others (mostly I's and R's) that 12/12 matches can be as common as autumn leaves--found everywhere in bunches of dozens. Some have placed the adjective "meaningless" with 12/12 matches. We have paid money to find some sort of meaning, so in persuit of that, many of us have ordered more markers to see how matches stand up. What I have seen (from Y-Search records at least) is that when fellow E3b's get more markers most close matches at 12 start to drift away and become less interesting. Just more confirmation that we are alone in this universe. This leads to the usual signs of dispair--humour, anger, barganing, intellectualizing, denial and eventually acceptance/resignation.

I'm eagerly waiting for my 25 markers that should be due any day now. Once I get them I'll probably have a more accurate account of matches and more intelligent things to think about.

Comment

Thanks Andrew M,

Yeah, I was perplexed about the variety of results. As far as I know, my family has always lived in that area of Lebanon for a bit over 500 hundred years. I got interested after doing the Genographic project after the piece about the Phoenicians. As a complete amateur at this stuff, the only thing I guess I can add is that it looks as though almost everyone is linked to everyone in some bizarre long distance kind of way.

And at the end of the day, my test basically says I'm from the Fertile crescent, or Mediterranean, which I already knew. It was nice to confirm though.

Comment

I'm pretty happy with the results I got from ftDNA also. I am facinated more with world history and where I fit in than finding out if I'm related to myself or not. That's why I first went for a deep SNP test rather than a pile of new markers. (But back then I thought that more markers and a deep clade test went together).

The 25 markers that hopefully will show up next week are an attempt to narrow down some of the possibilities that came up with 12-marker numbers. My near-matches are split rather well between eastern Europe and the Latin countries of southern Europe. I need more polarization than that. My wife (mtDNA M1 or *) has all her matches in southwestern Europe and its former colonies. I'd like to see if my people and her people live in the same geographic vicinity. It will also be interesting to see the number of Ashkenazi matches on a newer list.
                          Last edited by Andrew M; 27 October 2006, 10:56 PM. Reason: Spelling and punctuation

Comment

Thanks Andrew M,

Yeah, I was perplexed about the variety of results. As far as I know, my family has always lived in that area of Lebanon for a bit over 500 hundred years. I got interested after doing the Genographic project after the piece about the Phoenicians. As a complete amateur at this stuff, the only thing I guess I can add is that it looks as though almost everyone is linked to everyone in some bizarre long distance kind of way.

And at the end of the day, my test basically says I'm from the Fertile crescent, or Mediterranean, which I already knew. It was nice to confirm though.
                            Hi, royroy.

Good to read about your interest in genetics. I see that your SNP test returned an M78+ but you didn't post your marker values. Have you checked the haplotype list at the E3b project webpage?

http://www.familytreedna.com/(u3dfgs45bvav3zrda23g2w55)/public/freemanDNAProject/index.aspx?fixed_columns=on

Your last comment is understandable given as you say that your family has lived for hundreds of years in the same area. But don't dismiss your finding that quickly. If your results show genetic affinity with other persons in other parts of the world, consider just how far some related genes have branched off thru the centuries.

Then try to see things from the perspective of someone in the tip of one of those distant overseas genetic branches, who may or may not be so sure where his ancestors came from. Wouldn't you be glad that someone just confirmed what he already knew?

Best Regards,

Victor

Comment

Sorry for the late reply gentlemen.

Hi Andrew_M,

Same here, I always liked reading about history and anthropology, although I've never taken a course on any of that stuff. I also noticed you're from smith falls, home of the Hershey Chocolate factory I'm from Ottawa...it's just past Halloween and I've eaten too much chocolate!

Hi Victor,

Yes, I guess by more people who can confirm their origin joining the database, it definitely helps those who may not be sure. You worded it best.

By the way:

Good to read about your interest in genetics. I see that your SNP test returned an M78+ but you didn't post your marker values. Have you checked the haplotype list at the E3b project webpage?

http://www.familytreedna.com/(u3dfgs45bvav3zrda23g2w55)/public/freemanDNAProject/index.aspx?fixed_columns=on
                              I went to the link, and noticed I'm in the E3b1 = E3b1a = M78+ group. I honestly still don't know what that means. Still reading up on this stuff.

As for the marker values, do you mean the following?

Locus,
                              DYS#
                              Alleles

19*

385a

385b

389-1

389-2***

That's all my SNP test returned. Perhaps I need a further test with more markers.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply gentlemen.

Hi Andrew_M,

Same here, I always liked reading about history and anthropology, although I've never taken a course on any of that stuff. I also noticed you're from smith falls, home of the Hershey Chocolate factory I'm from Ottawa...it's just past Halloween and I've eaten too much chocolate!

Hi Victor,

Yes, I guess by more people who can confirm their origin joining the database, it definitely helps those who may not be sure. You worded it best.

By the way:

I went to the link, and noticed I'm in the E3b1 = E3b1a = M78+ group. I honestly still don't know what that means. Still reading up on this stuff.

As for the marker values, do you mean the following?

Locus,
                                DYS#
                                Alleles

19*

385a

385b

389-1

389-2***

That's all my SNP test returned. Perhaps I need a further test with more markers.
                                Hi royroy,

You and I have a 9/12 coincidence.
                                The following link might be of interest for you:
                                http://www.kerchner.com/anonftp/pub/glossary.pdf

Greetings,
                                Roberto

Comment

Working...
                                X