Difference Between Y-DNA & DNA Print?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference Between Y-DNA & DNA Print?

i've looked at the descriptions of both tests, and they seem very similar. they both claim to be able to identify the percent of ethnic groups in your genes, distant or close.. so what is the difference between the two?

Re: Difference Between Y-DNA & DNA Print?

Originally posted by Sherminator3
    i've looked at the descriptions of both tests, and they seem very similar. they both claim to be able to identify the percent of ethnic groups in your genes, distant or close.. so what is the difference between the two?
    These are two completely different products. Please read the descriptions again, and let me know where did you find that in the Y-DNA you are able to identify the percent of ethnic groups in your genes.
    The Y-DNA checks exclusively the paternal line and does not give any percentages, while the DNAPrint checks the autosomal DNA (totally different chromosomes) giving the above mentioned percentages.
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Max. I have read athe description of the DNAPrint on the FTDNA page, and you refer to an article by Rosenberg in Science. Is this article posted anywhere on your site or do you have a link? BTW, it is 20 Dec 2002, not in 2003. I found it in their index. I would like to read it, but not to buy the entire magazine for $10. Which chromosomes are used for DNAPrint? So far, I have not recommended to our project participants that they do this test because it appears to cause more confusion than clarification to most of the participants. Maybe, if I understand it better, I will suggest that they do it. Also, can't these geneticists set up a nomenclature standard so that their research is comparable? Ever since Colt invented the concept of interchangeable parts, the rationale for a standard has been established.

Comment

Dear Whitney,
        2003 corrected to 2002. Thank you.
        Science is a subscription based magazine. If we copy the article and publish in its entirety, we would be infringing their copyrights. Sorry....
        The DNAPrint tests the 22 pair of chromosomes, which is the autosomal DNA - the ones that are recombined from your father and mother own 22 pairs. Those are the ones that give your inherited information from both sides of the family and include eye color, hair, etc....
        The Y-DNA is from the 23rd base pair, or the sex gene. (Males have X-Y, females have X-X)
        There's absolutely no way to compare the two tests. We are talking apples and lettuce....
        Max Blankfeld
        A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Re: Re: Difference Between Y-DNA & DNA Print?

Originally posted by max
          These are two completely different products. Please read the descriptions again, and let me know where did you find that in the Y-DNA you are able to identify the percent of ethnic groups in your genes.
          The Y-DNA checks exclusively the paternal line and does not give any percentages, while the DNAPrint checks the autosomal DNA (totally different chromosomes) giving the above mentioned percentages.

Max, the Y-DNA test may not tell you the percentages of what ethnic groups you are from, but just lists them out for you? So if I chose the Y-Dna test rather than just the DNA Print, I would basically be getting the print test without percentages, and much more?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Difference Between Y-DNA & DNA Print?

Originally posted by Sherminator3
            Max, the Y-DNA test may not tell you the percentages of what ethnic groups you are from, but just lists them out for you? So if I chose the Y-Dna test rather than just the DNA Print, I would basically be getting the print test without percentages, and much more?
            No.... two completely different tests.
            Max Blankfeld
            A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

I understand that these test different things, but had no idea what autosomal dna was. I guess I will have to buy the article or locate it at my local library. Since you do have links and reprints to some articles, I thought maybe you had worked out an arrangement with some magazine publishers to do that. My plea about terminology lies in the constant references to other people's research using different descriptors. They are finally cross-referencing with the Y-DNA and going forward, I guess most of the work in the field will be able to be compared. New information comes out all the time and I am trying, without being a scientist or geneticist, to keep informed and up to date. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
              X