X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25-Marker Results In

Judy,

Thanks, didn't know that detail but do know of the history - increasingly

..... On the run but my 25-marker results have just come in two and a half weeks early. They seem interesting to me ... but then they would, wouldn't they?

Later ...

Comment

25-Marker Results

Consultation with those wiser than me seems to suggest initially:

1. Confirmation of J1 haplotype.

2. Possibility of uncovering MRCA sooner perhaps than later in near-historical period (1600s or later), probably with Eastern European location.

Four of six one-marker distant matches are with documented members of a known Lithuanian ancestor ... with suggested emigration of some later members to Poland given other matches emerging in the database. Another match also appears somewhat meaningful.

3. Suggestive confirmation of specific Cohen genealogical ancestry, though still very provisional.

Intuitively, I feel encouraged that the day may come (ten or twenty years from now) when a more complex exact match(es) will be made.

Next up:
      37-marker test update (me).
      Father's MT-DNA plus (who the heck was his mother's ..... mother?)
      My half-uncle's Y-DNA test (was my father adopted or not)?
      Autosomal testing .... sigh .... money .... who ..... when ....
      Continued genealogical work to find my dad's birth parents.

A DNA friend wisely reminded me this morning that no DNA or genealogical discovery changes who we really are in the lives we have made. So true! Even if descended from a real human being who was a Cohen, I am just ..... Russ. That's a comfort, not a problem. I want this to remain a delight; not a trouble. I think my ancestors within me - whoever the heck they are - would approve.

And, if not, that's their issue and they can all shut up ;-).

Comment

Minor Correction and Mets fan ...

When I referred to near-matches to a known ancestor in my previous post, I meant, of course, an ancestor known to those who launched the particular surname project.

It is by no means clear that he (Hirsch HaCohen) is an ancestor of mine, though it is genetically possible - especially if he was a Mets fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Lipton
          Consultation with those wiser than me seems to suggest initially:

A DNA friend wisely reminded me this morning that no DNA or genealogical discovery changes who we really are in the lives we have made. So true! Even if descended from a real human being who was a Cohen, I am just ..... Russ. That's a comfort, not a problem. I want this to remain a delight; not a trouble. I think my ancestors within me - whoever the heck they are - would approve.

And, if not, that's their issue and they can all shut up ;-).
          Beautifully said!
          Judy

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Lipton

It is by no means clear that he (Hirsch HaCohen) is an ancestor of mine, though it is genetically possible - especially if he was a Mets fan.
            J2f, J, and E3b Mets fans here
            Judy

Comment

Doh Alert

Silly amateur me. A few posts ago, I engaged in cunning speculation about three adoptions in Great Falls. I was correct about the way adoptions were often done but had neglected to not only trust but verify my court helper in Great Falls.

On a first call four weeks ago, I had asked for relevant records between 1914 and 1916. So I assumed ...

On a second call, I asked if she would now go back and give me all the details on the Gilbert Clark adoption. She did. Only, you see, well, it turns out she had grabbed that record the first time from 1923.

Stifling the urge to say horrible things, I thanked her politely, hung up and then said horrible things. And made a note to self ....

Meanwhile, help, advice and tips from other professional genealogists out here have me spinning with 'homework' that may be helpful to the search; but encouraged. They say I've got talent for this (gak) but I know better

Something I'm learning for sure - Montana was one weird place in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Between fur traders, Blackfeet, ranchers, Crow, Jewish traders, Flatheads, ladies of the night, pioneer kids, Clarks, Cherokee, fortune seekers, missionaries and folks hiding out from the rest of the country, it was, shall we say, interesting. No film or novel I have ever read or heard of has done it justice for sure. 'Course, justice was just the thing lacking out here too many times ...

Will be back when the 37-marker results come in; meanwhile, maybe another noobie can profit from my mistakes.
              Last edited by Russ Lipton; 9 September 2006, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X