Confirming a surname by DNA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirming a surname by DNA?

A relative told me a few days ago that my dutch surname was chosen randomly by my paternal g.g grandfather and that my actual surname was 'De Fontaine',she told me only because I asked why on my grandfather's records him and his brothers all have french middle names.

This g.g grandfather was her grandfather so she knows better than I.She could not tell me why.I only found one record in the south african archives of this name but can't link it to the family in anyway?

How could a DNA test help in this situation? perhaps a DNA surname project?

Originally posted by katiecarol
    A relative told me a few days ago that my dutch surname was chosen randomly by my paternal g.g grandfather and that my actual surname was 'De Fontaine',she told me only because I asked why on my grandfather's records him and his brothers all have french middle names.

This g.g grandfather was her grandfather so she knows better than I.She could not tell me why.I only found one record in the south african archives of this name but can't link it to the family in anyway?

yDNA testing of the males of your line could be compared to males in the de Fontaine line to confirm this possibility.

The tests would have to be on either your father, brother, male cousin or similar from the male line of your g-g-grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by katiecarol
      Yep, this scenario is perfect for DNA testing. The hard part will be finding De Fontaine descendants to compare your family's DNA with.

Comment

On another thread on this forum today the following advice was given - do not post new threads but continue to post to and read your original thread. This will keep the original thread current - at the top of the list - and gather more responses. It will also help respondents keep on the topic you introduced (although threads frequently go off-topic) and help you manage all the advice you will receive.

Tom

Comment

I added the surname question to my thread about an admixture test but thought two questions=too confusing,so created a seperate thread.

I could not find a thread about confirming surnames on the recent forum,apologies.

Comment

No apologies necessary, the advice is utterly self-serving. And I think you will find it so as well.

Tom

Comment

Working...
            X