mtDNA Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA Confusion

The more I read, the more confused I'm getting! I ordered up the Y-DNA37 and mtDNAPlus tests with my uncle (mother's full brother) as "donor." No results back yet. My question is - Is there any value/reason for having an mtDNA test on myself (I'm female) or will the mtDNA portion of my uncle's test be the same as mine? Most everything I've read says the mtDNA comes strictly from the matrilineal line, but a few postings on this board tend to indicate the father passes on some of his mother's DNA to the female offspring. I've been reading this stuff for days now and only getting more confused. Can somebody help? Basically, it's just - Is it likely my mtDNA is different from my mother's brother's?

You, your mother, and your mother's siblings all have the same mtDNA. If there is no question that the relationship is as you describe it, then there is no reason for you to take the mtDNA test yourself.

Fathers do pass on lots of DNA to their daughters, just not the Y chromosome or mtDNA. Their may be freak occurrences of mtDNA getting passed from father to child, but the probabilities are so low that you should not even consider it.

Comment

On another thread on this forum today the following advice was given - do not post new threads but continue to post to and read your original thread. This will keep the original thread current - at the top of the list - and gather more responses. It will also help respondents keep on the topic you introduced (although threads frequently go off-topic) and help you manage all the advice you will receive.

I responded to another of your threads today. I cannot bear to repeat myself here.

Tom

Comment

My apologies MistyLady, my last post was meant for katiecarol.

Tom

Comment

Thank You!

FOR Vineviz - That's sort of what I'd been thinking, but I figured it was best to ask somebody else. You've saved me some $$!

FOR Tomcat - HUH? This is the first - and maybe last - time I've posted so I have no idea what you're talking about when you say you responded to another "thead" today.

Comment

Originally posted by MistyLady
            FOR Vineviz - That's sort of what I'd been thinking, but I figured it was best to ask somebody else. You've saved me some $$!

FOR Tomcat - HUH? This is the first - and maybe last - time I've posted so I have no idea what you're talking about when you say you responded to another "thead" today.
            Never mind Tomcat. He was attempting to chastise another participant and chastised you instead by mistake.

We are generally a friendly bunch, really!

Comment

Working...
            X