No announcement yet.

Italian haplogroups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to Mike Maddi for the first 100 participants of the Sicily Project.

I'm sur vineviz is going to reach the same results with the Italy Project. BTW, beautiful blog .
    The only thing is I can't enter that directly form the project page

Comment

Originally posted by F.E.C.
      Then what is the percentage for N?
      So far, I don't think any of the papers I've looked at report ANY N specifically but I need to look at them again.

Comment

Congrats to Mike Maddi for the first 100 participants of the Sicily Project.
        Yeah, Mike! Go Sicily!

Comment

Originally posted by vineviz
          So far, I don't think any of the papers I've looked at report ANY N specifically but I need to look at them again.
          There's a relatively recent paper by Brisighelli, Capelli et al. that found no N3 in a sample of 239 from four populations in central and southern Italy. No A, C or P*(xR) either.

84.55% of the samples were in R1*(xR1a1), J2, G, or E3b1, which is a little higher than we are running in our project but not by much. Unfortunately this looks like a preliminary report, and they did not fully report the data. Perhaps they are saving it for a bigger paper that is forthcoming.

Comment

At now, the Italy Project counts 70 participants.

For what concerns the Y-DNA results, I can see the two major haplogroups are J2 and R1b. I find it surprising, though, that the number of R1b's is almost half the number of J2's.

It seems to me J2 could represent the first haplogroup in the south, by far. C'mon R1b's, I want to see more of you when I come back!

I won't be here for two-three weeks. When I come back I will know my upgrade's results and (hopefully) the new SNP results from Stevo and Rick. I'm really looking forward to it!
            Have a nice summer, I'm going to temporarily unsubscribe from the Rootsweb List...CIAO
            Last edited by F.E.C.; 1 August 2006, 10:09 AM.

Comment

At now, the Italy Project counts 70 participants.

For what concerns the Y-DNA results, I can see the two major haplogroups are J2 and R1b. I find it surprising, though, that the number of R1b's is almost half the number of J2's.

It seems to me J2 could represent the first haplogroup in the south, by far. C'mon R1b's, I want to see more of you when I come back!
              The paucity of R1b in the Italy DNA project looks like a statistical fluke (we have only 43 Y-DNA participants), but it is still odd because even most of southern Italy has more R1b than J2 according to the literature. Foggia is the only exception to that rule I've seen, and maybe Sicily.

Comment

does either the Italy project or Sicily project have I1b1 (old I1b2?)
                Can't seem to locate either on the project search page.

Comment

Originally posted by NormanGalway
                  If by "old I1b2" you mean M26+ (currently I1b1b), then the Italy DNA project does not seem to have any.

Comment

Originally posted by NormanGalway
                    We do have one SNP-tested I1b1. If you look at our FTDNA-generated haplotype table on the Sicily Project website, he is #18. He has tested postive for P37.2.

I'm sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about the I haplogroups, although I do have Ken Nordtvedt's table of modal haplotypes. I know much more about R1b and J, which are our more numerous haplogroup members. Is I1b1 the one that is found mostly in Sardinia and Spain?

Mike Maddi

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi
                      We do have one SNP-tested I1b1. If you look at our FTDNA-generated haplotype table on the Sicily Project website, he is #18. He has tested postive for P37.2.
                      We have one of these as well.

Comment

yes, it is M26+ that I am referring to... thanks for your responses.

I was looking at the Relative Genetics clinal map of this and it seemed to indicate some in sicily and mainland Italy, just curious if that was true or not. believe it or not, but even one result (out of your total numbers) is somewhat high for this haplogroup!

Comment

Working...
                        X