67 marker MCRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67 marker MCRA

I didn't see where the upgraded MCRA calculations for the 67 marker test are located.

I have a match on the 67 level - with a genetic difference of 5. This same match was a genetic distance of 3 - at the 37 marker level.

Can someone point me to the right spot?

Thanks!
    Charles Coons

Charles, I don't believe FTDNA has added that, yet. I saw a message somewhere...can't remember where at this time...back in June saying FTDNA would be revealing the mutation rates for the new panel this month. Calculating the rate is a prerequisite to calculating a MRCA. With the delays I've noted in people getting results back for the upgrade it would not surprise me in the least if the release is pushed back a bit.

Comment

If you really need an answer, you can use third-party MRCA calculator (like http://www.moseswalker.com/mrca/calculator.asp?q=1 ).

Enter "67" for the number of markers and make a wild guess for the mutation rate (which, as DMac pointed out, hasn't be released). I'd use a number closer to 0.004 than 0.002.

You've got a 50% probability of having a common ancestor within 11 generations, I think, with a 62/67 match.
      Last edited by vineviz; 24 July 2006, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Cool link!

If I recall correctly - a change from one allele of 19 to 21 would count as 2 for genetic difference purposes, but it would only count as 1 for for the MCRA calculation?

It's still pretty exciting - I *knew* great great great granddad didn't just spring from the earth!

Thanks!
        Charles Coons

Comment

If you go to FTDNA home page, where you sign in, and click FTDNAtip you can calculate the generations back from your testors parent and get a general idea through percentages. It also tells you the percentage for genetic differences. I'm 3 off at 67 from same surname cuzes and I know from 1820 to 1890 there was no MRCA so I figure I have to go back at least 8 generations to find him.

Comment

There's a TIP comparision at 12 markers, 25 markers, and 37 markers, but I don't see one for 67 markers yet. (With the only 67 match I have, so far.)

I don't see another spot to click. Hmm.

I'll just keep checking. I'm sure it will be out "soon".

Thanks!
            Charles Coons

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesC
              Cool link!

If I recall correctly - a change from one allele of 19 to 21 would count as 2 for genetic difference purposes, but it would only count as 1 for for the MCRA calculation?
              I was taught the the change from 19 to 21 also counts as 2 for calculating TMRCA.

Comment

Working...
              X