FTDNA is buying DNA-Fingerprint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTDNA is buying DNA-Fingerprint

So where's the discussion on this buyout?

http://www.ftdna.com/pdf/Press-relea...ingerprint.pdf

Does this mean that Ftdna will get into the autosomal testing field. If they do I expect an improvement over current products.

Comment

Good for FTDNA!
      Better get my DNA-F test requests in before the prices go up!

Tom

Comment

If it gets more Germans testing in surname projects, I think it's great!

Comment

Great news!
          Judy

Comment

There might be a new HVR3 test coming soon for the mtDNA. -Richard

Comment

Is that just speculation or do you have some kind of inside info? I thought there were only 2 HVRs?

Personally, I'm hoping the price of the full-sequence test comes down a few hundred $$

Comment

Originally posted by efgen
                Is that just speculation or do you have some kind of inside info? I thought there were only 2 HVRs?

Personally, I'm hoping the price of the full-sequence test comes down a few hundred $$

Not likely. DNA-F's price is currently above FTDNA's price for the full mt-DNA seq. The good news, I think, is that FTDNA will now be able to offer x-chromosome testing ... it is a money-maker ... think non-paternal events ...

Tom

Comment

Complete mtDNA is all you need.
                  ANCESTRYbyDNA and others only exist to make money.

Comment

They have had the "coming soon" listed for as long as I can remember. I might consider it if and when they finally launch the product, and only once I hear positive results from those who have already tested with them. Besides, I would think that when they finally do launch, FTDNA would want to stay in competition and will subsequently lower their price.

I don't know about the X testing either. If it's as imperfect as the autosomal tests, I think I'll pass for now

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rauch
                      There might be a new HVR3 test coming soon for the mtDNA. -Richard
                      Richard, FTDNA's HVR2 test includes all the mutations in DNA-Fingerprint's HVR3 test. The HVR3 test is based on an old numbering system.

Bill Hurst

Comment

Argus has had the "coming soon" listed for as long as I can remember. I might consider it if and when they finally launch the product, and only once I hear positive results from those who have already tested with them. Besides, I would think that when they finally do launch, FTDNA would want to stay in competition and will subsequently lower their price.

I don't know about the X testing either. If it's as imperfect as the autosomal tests, I think I'll pass for now

I doubt FTDNA and DNA-F will launch an "X Test" like either of the autosomal BGA's - e.g. a test that offers "authoritative" conclusions about ancestry. At least, not anytime soon as there isn't enough field data on X to support such conclusions. Anyway, such tests are contrary to DNA-F's philosophy and FTDNA's practice.

But if a sufficient number of FTDNA's 100K users could be induced to test X, we might find useful correlations between x-motifs and y- and mt-DNA haplogroups/haplotypes.

And, I imagine, DNA-F's expertise in y- and at-STR's will also prove to be be compelling offerings to FTDNA users.

The only downside to the merger is the loss of competition.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by DMac
                          I second that.

Comment

FamilyTreeDNAFingerprint-Merger

Originally posted by DMac
                            I visited their (DNAFingerprint) forum a few months ago and I didn't see a whole lot of Germans.A MtK and y-R1b1 in England and some other regular folks like you see here and elsewhere.Similar folks.But I hadn't heard of the merger til now; it'll be Ok I think. (I get around to all the sites)like DNA club hopping,but I haven't seen a whole lot new,but I don't have an autosomal,or complete sequence maternal.

Comment

Working...
                            X