Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modal Haplotypes

Hello all,

I was wondering if one has to match every marker exactly to fall within a modal haplotype. More specifically, I am part of the J2 m172 haplogroup and incidentally discovered I fit all the Cohen modal type except for 388. I have 15 repetitions but the modal haplotype has 16. I tried researching the subject to no avail. My family has almost no record of our ancestors beyond a century, which is why I became intrigued by the concept of geneology through DNA. Paper trails can be lost. If I fit this modal type it would at least give me a direction to look. Cohen families tend to keep a very detailed record of their ancestry. It was a bit of a surprise as we had no idea we had jewish ancestry (we're not jewish).

On a different note, how accurate is a one step match with 12 markers? how far back would the common ancestor be?
    also, is the super DNA option worth it? Does it test for deep clade and ethnic origin? I need all the information I can get and it seems that is the most detailed option available anywhere.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Nls07
    Hello all,

I was wondering if one has to match every marker exactly to fall within a modal haplotype..
    No. The modal represents the most common value (mode) of each marker for a group of people. By definition, there is variation within the group.

On a different note, how accurate is a one step match with 12 markers? how far back would the common ancestor be?
    It is accurate, but not very informative. A common ancestor for two people with an 11/12 match could be 50 generations ago (about 1500 years).

also, is the super DNA option worth it? Does it test for deep clade and ethnic origin? I need all the information I can get and it seems that is the most detailed option available anywhere.
    My opinion is that it will not be very helpful to you. A full suite of yDNA markers (even 37 might be enough) should be enough to get a general idea of your patrilineal heritage if any distant relatives have tested. Even the basic mtDNA might help get a clue on your matrilineal heritage.

If I had $1,000 to spend on DNA testing I'd probably buy the "yDNA67+mtDNAPlus" from FTDNA and a DNAPrint test from AncestrybyDNA.

On the other hand, paying a professional genealogist $1,000 to investigate your heritage might be a decent investment too.

Comment

Where can I take the MOST accurate Cohen Modal DNA.....

Does anyone know where can I take the MOST accurate Cohen Modal DNA test? And for how much?

Recently, I learned I may be a literal descendant of Aaron HaCohen.

What excites me (a married man with children and who is in gross poverty and a student) is that a friend told me (a friend who respects the lineage of Aaron very very much--as do I, of course) told me that if I can prove to have Cohen DNA that he will follow what Torah says and build a home for my family and me.

So, I want to know my DNA not just because of my lineage, but also because we'll have a home (my landlord hates us because we believe in Torah). If I can show I have Cohen DNA, my friend will build us a house on his farm.

Now, I just need to find a way to pay for the test-- I have no money. In matters of G-d I am rich. In matters of a worldly nature, I am grossly impoverished.

G-d-willing, and if you all are willing, I need whatever help I can get.

As I said, I don't even know where to get the test, nor how much it costs, nor do I know how to pay for it.

~ "Ari'El"

[email protected]

PS. I know of some Rabbis who have surnames that are the same as surnames in my family (both Maternal AND Paternal lines). G-d-willing, Cohen DNA will be found in my lineage on both my mother's side as well as my father's side of the family; though, I know it's my mother's side that is counted.
      Last edited by Ari"El; 18 July 2016, 08:17 PM. Reason: Edited to add a comment (post script)>

Comment

Originally posted by Ari"El View Post
        G-d-willing, Cohen DNA will be found in my lineage on both my mother's side as well as my father's side of the family; though, I know it's my mother's side that is counted.
        Wrong. Cohen status is inherited through the direct paternal line. That is what the Y-DNA test will either find or not find. The first 12 markers will determine this basic question but I recommend testing at 37 markers at minimum.

It's religious Jewishness that's inherited through the direct maternal line, but usually there must be a woman in that line who practiced Judaism within 3 generations, otherwise you'd have to personally convert to Rabbinical Judaism under the supervision of a recognized rabbi - this is a further step necessary beyond your existing belief in the Torah. (Karaite Judaism accepts paternal descent.)

Be psychologically prepared to be possibly disappointed by your results. You should become satisfied with whatever your results turn out to be. Do not make your quest for Jewishness a fetish or obsession especially as you can pass the religious requirement without even having any Jewish ancestry. Do not denigrate your paternal line ancestors if they turn out to be German or English or something else instead. There is even a "false Cohen" lineage that many Ashkenazic Jews in Europe belonged to which doesn't match the Cohen Modal Haplotype at all but had many families insisting they were Cohens and using surnames like Cohen, Kaplan, Katz.

Comment

Working...
        X