Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• josh w.
    replied
    Sorry, that should have been MRCA not MCRA.

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    The Ftdna MCRA tables are often misunderstood. The tables apply, i.e. the number of generations to the MCRA, irrespective of whether there was a common surname. Walsh, who developed the tables could have made a statistical adjustment for common surname which would have reduced the number of generations to the MCRA. However as his notes indicate, he decided not to do so for technical reasons.
    Last edited by josh w.; 28 July 2006, 07:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    Originally posted by four-legged
    I recently found I matched 36 of 37 with someone who has a different surname. We are both R1B1c. Wonder how often that happens?
    If you both come from a country whose surnames stabilized only within the last couple hundred years, it's not so surprising at all. Different branches of a family may simply have settled on different surnames.

Otherwise, you may be seeing a Non-Paternal Event (NPE) of some kind--e.g., adoption.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Question about y-dna

I recently found I matched 36 of 37 with someone who has a different surname. We are both R1B1c. Wonder how often that happens? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by D_Greaves
    On the 67 marker test 3 of us match with a Genetic distance of 3. It was 2 on the 37 marker. Same surname.

On Ysearch there's people that match, also, but with different surnames. So is my surname match a coincidence??
    I don't think so, although I am no expert. A distance of 3 even at 37 markers with someone of the same surname is a pretty good match.

A distance of only 3 at 67 markers I would think a compelling match.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    On the 67 marker test 3 of us match with a Genetic distance of 3. It was 2 on the 37 marker. Same surname.

On Ysearch there's people that match, also, but with different surnames. So is my surname match a coincidence??

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks!!
    Makes it clearer. Have to get busy on our MRCA!!

Leave a comment:

• efgen
    replied
    Here are a couple links on the FTDNA website that may provide some more info:

http://www.familytreedna.com/GDRules_67.html
    http://www.familytreedna.com/faq2.html

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Question about Genetic Markers

Question about Genetic Markers

I have learned so much about Haplogroups from your "discussions" !!
    Is there somewhere to read about the "simple basics" of our DNA results? I've checked the pages you've listed (McDonald, etc) but it's still confusing.

After looking at the graph on FTDNA I am assuming that if we go back 4 to 7 generations we should have a MRCA. But what do we do with the Genetic distance of 3. Or is that included? Is that a wrong conclusion?
    Thanks for any help in understanding this.
    Dorie
Working...
X