Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GvdM
    If you need translation let me know. I'm sure you'll figure it out though
    You know, I speak German, and I was able to understand that introductory paragraph in Dutch pretty well. Then I saw a place to click up at the top and turn the whole thing into English!

If I need translation of Dutch documents, though, I will definitely look you up. You don't charge do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
      You know, I speak German, and I was able to understand that introductory paragraph in Dutch pretty well. Then I saw a place to click up at the top and turn the whole thing into English!

If I need translation of Dutch documents, though, I will definitely look you up. You don't charge do you?
      Nah..... no charge. They put English in now.... cool, that will help a lot of people

Comment

Fast or Slow Moving Markers

The two markers where we are off are: DYS#19 15 vs 16 and DYS#389-2 30 vs 29. I don't know if these are fast or slow movers.

My documentation goes back to about 1850 with censuses, vital records, etc. and then with a published genealogy by a Charles Otis Gates that has been verified or corrected by several researchers. I'll bet the other person is using the same source.

Stevo - you are right, I'm the one that would have to upgrade. I just got my SNP done to verify my haplogroup, so maybe an Y-chromosome upgrade should be next, but I also need to upgrade my mtDNA to HVR2. I'm getting over 100 matches with just HVR1. This gets expensive.

I don't know what I was thinking --- 400 years would be 16 generations, not 8. Math I can do, its arithmetic I can't get right.

Comment

Originally posted by James A. Gates
          The two markers where we are off are: DYS#19 15 vs 16 and DYS#389-2 30 vs 29. I don't know if these are fast or slow movers.

My documentation goes back to about 1850 with censuses, vital records, etc. and then with a published genealogy by a Charles Otis Gates that has been verified or corrected by several researchers. I'll bet the other person is using the same source.

Stevo - you are right, I'm the one that would have to upgrade. I just got my SNP done to verify my haplogroup, so maybe an Y-chromosome upgrade should be next, but I also need to upgrade my mtDNA to HVR2. I'm getting over 100 matches with just HVR1. This gets expensive.

I don't know what I was thinking --- 400 years would be 16 generations, not 8. Math I can do, its arithmetic I can't get right.

Since you have the actual pedegree you will know the exact generations. The 25 years is just for unknown lines. My generations worked out to 38.26 years from my 13th g-grandfather to me. He was born in 1383 and myself in 1957.

Anyway, generations would be from you back to the common ancestor then forward to the cousin. So if equal distances back to your mrca is 15 generations there is a total of 30 generations for mutations. In 37 Markers (your upgrade) you should see approx a 34/37 match at 1 mutation per 10 generations. based on an avg mution rate of .004

DYS-19 and DYS-389-2 are both slow mutation markers.

It is also best to test at least two people from each line.
          Last edited by GvdM; 3 July 2006, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by GvdM
            Since you have the actual pedegree you will know the exact generations. The 25 years is just for unknown lines. My generations worked out to 38.26 years from my 13th g-grandfather to me. He was born in 1383 and myself in 1957.

Anyway, generations would be from you back to the common ancestor then forward to the cousin. So if equal distances back to your mrca is 15 generations there is a total of 30 generations for mutations. In 37 Markers (your upgrade) you should see approx a 34/37 match at 1 mutation per 10 generations. based on an avg mution rate of .004

DYS-19 and DYS-389-2 are both slow mutation markers.

It is also best to test at least two people from each line.
            Thanks for your help. That answers my question.

Jim Gates

Comment

Working...
            X