Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help! Please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Help! Please

    Hello, my name is Jennifer and I am here because my brother was nice enough to submit his DNA for genealogical studies! What a nice guy!

    Anyway, I am here asking for help because I don't understand much about the whole thing and the results I received where not what I expected. I have not had any match to anyone with my surname. I have had some very close matches with a variant of my surname and some even closer results with surnames not even close to mine. I don't understand why those matches would match!

    Also, I have been reading other posts and I have visited the Whit Athey site to find out about the haplogroup and haplotype, although I still don't understand all that either. FTDNA said I am R1b1 which seems to be a large group of people to say the least! I have found that Whit Athey gives me a 57 for Q and an 83 for R1b and then a 21 for R1a. Now remember that I am a total idiot at this point as far as all this is concerned! So I have no clue what all those numbers mean!

    I would just like for someone to better explain all this to me and what it means from a genealogical stand point.

    Thanks to anyone that can lend a hand!
    Jenn - who is very

  • #2
    Jenn,

    A few of things you should do. If you did not test with a study for your surname, join it. Either way, ask the study administrator what he/she thinks about your results. They, the adminstrators, are usually most familiar with those family groups or, at the very least, will know who the resident expert is. Also, get your results uploaded to Y-Search. You'll be assigned a user ID, mine is Q3RY5, which you can refer to when you ask people about your results. Post the ID and I'm sure someone will take a look.

    DMac

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Familysearchr
      Hello, my name is Jennifer and I am here because my brother was nice enough to submit his DNA for genealogical studies! What a nice guy!

      Anyway, I am here asking for help because I don't understand much about the whole thing and the results I received where not what I expected. I have not had any match to anyone with my surname. I have had some very close matches with a variant of my surname and some even closer results with surnames not even close to mine. I don't understand why those matches would match!
      How close were your matches with the bearer of that variant of your surname?

      I would be excited about that! Correct spelling of one's surname is fluff. If you have a match with someone with a reasonable variant of your surname, that could be extremely significant. I would investigate that whole hog.

      Originally posted by Familysearchr
      Also, I have been reading other posts and I have visited the Whit Athey site to find out about the haplogroup and haplotype, although I still don't understand all that either. FTDNA said I am R1b1 which seems to be a large group of people to say the least! I have found that Whit Athey gives me a 57 for Q and an 83 for R1b and then a 21 for R1a. Now remember that I am a total idiot at this point as far as all this is concerned! So I have no clue what all those numbers mean!

      I would just like for someone to better explain all this to me and what it means from a genealogical stand point.

      Thanks to anyone that can lend a hand!
      Jenn - who is very
      It is perfectly normal for an R1b1 to get relatively high Q and R1a scores. R1a is in the R family with R1b, and Q is nearby on the phylogenetic tree. My own scores for Q and R1a were fairly high, and I know of a couple of other R1b1 guys here who also scored high for those y-haplogroups.

      A score of 83 in R1b is pretty compelling. I don't think I ever got that high, and I am confirmed as R1b1c by SNP testing. By the way, that is the only way to know for sure to which y-haplogroup one belongs: a Deep SNP test.

      Welcome to the forum!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DMac
        Jenn,

        A few of things you should do. If you did not test with a study for your surname, join it. Either way, ask the study administrator what he/she thinks about your results. They, the adminstrators, are usually most familiar with those family groups or, at the very least, will know who the resident expert is. Also, get your results uploaded to Y-Search. You'll be assigned a user ID, mine is Q3RY5, which you can refer to when you ask people about your results. Post the ID and I'm sure someone will take a look.

        DMac

        DMac,

        I did have my brother tested with a group of the same surname. We all belong to a variant of the surname group. I have also already uploaded my results to Y-Search, although I will have to get my ID as I can't remember off the top of my head! I have chatted with the person that was in charge of getting our group tested and he is also confused my the results.

        Jenn

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Stevo
          How close were your matches with the bearer of that variant of your surname?

          I would be excited about that! Correct spelling of one's surname is fluff. If you have a match with someone with a reasonable variant of your surname, that could be extremely significant. I would investigate that whole hog.


          It is perfectly normal for an R1b1 to get relatively high Q and R1a scores. R1a is in the R family with R1b, and Q is nearby on the phylogenetic tree. My own scores for Q and R1a were fairly high, and I know of a couple of other R1b1 guys here who also scored high for those y-haplogroups.


          A score of 83 in R1b is pretty compelling. I don't think I ever got that high, and I am confirmed as R1b1c by SNP testing. By the way, that is the only way to know for sure to which y-haplogroup one belongs: a Deep SNP test.

          Welcome to the forum!
          Hello Stevo,

          Thank you for the welcome!

          To cover a few things here, the variant is a very reasonable one. My surname being HILLS and the variant being HILL. The matches with the variant being as close as 24/25! I have several 12/12 matches with both the variants and the others that are not even variants. But it is my understanding that the 12/12 matches are not really matches because you should have tested and compared at least 25 markers. Is this correct?

          Second, I appreciate the explanation of those numbers! It has helped me to better understand what they mean! I don't have the money to get the Deep SNP test at this time. I was lucky enough to just have the 25 marker test done for my brother. The person that was in charge of getting this group tested offered to pay for 10 tests. I was one of the lucky 10 that was able to get such a wonderful gift from him. Otherwise I would still be wondering about the DNA testing!

          Thanks again for your help!
          Jenn

          Comment


          • #6
            Ok, my user ID for Y-Search is KVUWQ if anyone is interested in checking it out! Let me know what you think!

            Jenn

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Familysearchr
              Ok, my user ID for Y-Search is KVUWQ if anyone is interested in checking it out! Let me know what you think!
              You have an exact match on 23 markers with Jones (U6TJ4), ancestrally from Wales.

              (I am not even considering matches with less than 23 markers.)

              You have a long list of near-matches, a genetic distance of 1 at 25 markers:
              http://www.ysearch.org/search_result...ting_marker=24

              Van Allen
              Clendenin
              Glendinning
              McCowan
              Buchanan
              Greenland
              Drew
              Clendaniel
              Fisher
              Parr
              Phillips
              Woodward
              Nickell
              Glenn
              Clendenon
              Wright

              Whew. It's very unfortunate that you can't afford the $50 to upgrade to 37 markers, because that might sort this out somewhat.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lgmayka
                You have an exact match on 23 markers with Jones (U6TJ4), ancestrally from Wales.

                (I am not even considering matches with less than 23 markers.)

                You have a long list of near-matches, a genetic distance of 1 at 25 markers:
                http://www.ysearch.org/search_result...ting_marker=24

                Van Allen
                Clendenin
                Glendinning
                McCowan
                Buchanan
                Greenland
                Drew
                Clendaniel
                Fisher
                Parr
                Phillips
                Woodward
                Nickell
                Glenn
                Clendenon
                Wright

                Whew. It's very unfortunate that you can't afford the $50 to upgrade to 37 markers, because that might sort this out somewhat.

                Thanks for your response! I have checked some of these out and we can not find any common ancestor between us. I know that I have the 23 match with Jones but wouls that be more like a 23/25 match since there are only 23 matching markers?

                In this list the surname that I even recognize is the PHILLIPS surname. This is the surname of my mother's mother's mother. Does that make sense? Basically it would be my great grandmother on my mother's maternal side. I think!

                I do have the Jones surname in my tree. It is one that goes back as far as my tree goes. So it is very early in my ancestry.

                I wish that I could afford the upgrade to the 37 markers. Hopefully sometime in the near future I might be able to pay for it. I would like to have more markers to look it and compare.

                Jenn

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think

                  Also, I have been reading other posts and I have visited the Whit Athey site to find out about the haplogroup and haplotype, although I still don't understand all that either. FTDNA said I am R1b1 which seems to be a large group of people to say the least! I have found that Whit Athey gives me a 57 for Q and an 83 for R1b and then a 21 for R1a. Now remember that I am a total idiot at this point as far as all this is concerned! So I have no clue what all those numbers mean!



                  I think Stevo is right in that most R1bs test high for Q and R1a
                  my own was R1b 55, Q 55 and R1a 25

                  your 83 for R1b seems pretty definitive of you being R1b

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Fraigno

                    I think Stevo is right in that most R1bs test high for Q and R1a
                    my own was R1b 55, Q 55 and R1a 25

                    your 83 for R1b seems pretty definitive of you being R1b


                    Thanks for your help! It seems that I have a good number for the R1b. What is the group/type Q? I know that most of my ancestry comes mainly from Germany and England. This is from both sides of my parents. On my father's side there is his mothers family from Germany/Denmark and his fathers side from England. On my mothers side there is her father's side that comes from Germany/Denmark and her mother's side that comes from Germany/Denmark. Are these areas included with either the R1b or the Q?

                    Jenn

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X