• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA111 from Y-DNA37

Does this upgrade include a new kit?

Originally posted by dlnewhouse View Post
    Does this upgrade include a new kit?
    Normally FTDNA uses your original sample which it has stored.

If the sample is degraded or not enough, a new kit will be sent, but usually that is not necessary.

Comment

Is this upgradable to Y-DNA500?

Comment

Originally posted by dlnewhouse View Post
        Is this upgradable to Y-DNA500?
        Yep! Last day of the current sale. If you are going to do Y-DNA500, you will save a lot by ordering today:

https://mailchi.mp/familytreedna/red...0?e=c0326c1e9c

The test includes Big-Y, which is good. I do not know if you can get Y-500 alone, but I do not think it would be of much use without Big-Y.

Jack

Comment

Absolutely agree! Big Y has the possibility of revealing NEW SNP's and thus new, unexpected branches on the Y haplotree, and, with suitable interpretation of the results (YFull or other similar services, if you don't find FTDNA satisfactory), it will place you in an unambiguous context with respect to your STR matches. The only drawback is the cost! The more men who take the Big Y test, the more powerful it becomes!

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
            Absolutely agree! Big Y has the possibility of revealing NEW SNP's and thus new, unexpected branches on the Y haplotree, and, with suitable interpretation of the results (YFull or other similar services, if you don't find FTDNA satisfactory), it will place you in an unambiguous context with respect to your STR matches. The only drawback is the cost! The more men who take the Big Y test, the more powerful it becomes!
            Absolutely this!

My Big Y results split the branch of my part of the tree. As more people from my patrilineal line test the more "novel" SNPs will be added to the haplotree.

I recommend Big Y-500, if you can afford the expense it is well worth it, especially when coupled with an appropriate Haplogroup or surname project.

Comment

Working...
            X