Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neanderthals Eve?!

Hello

Was *Eve a Neanderthals when she married **Adam?
    Or was she a Homo sapiens!?

*Mitochondrial Eve
    **Y-Chromosomal Adam

Y-chromosomal Adam and mitochondrial Eve are not to be equated with biblical Adam & Eve.

Now to answer your question, Neanderthals and Denisovans are part of the greater Homo sapiens species, however they were Homo sapiens neanderthalensis and Homo sapiens denisova. Modern humans are Homo sapiens sapiens we are a separate branch of the H.sapiens tree. Y-chromosomal Adam and mitochondrial Eve would have been Homo sapiens sapiens. However Y-Adam and mt-Eve were not contemporaries. Mt-Eve is estimated to predate Y-Adam by several thousand (several!) years.

Comment

Whether "subspecies" neanderthalensis and denisova are ultimately recognized as species, subspecies, races, etc. is a matter of academic discussion and politics that is still far from settled. The whole idea of what is a species (apart from "whatever a competent taxonomist says it is") has generated some very diverse opinions on a matter that many of us thought had been settled over 50 years ago. Whatever opinions eventually prevail on these questions, it is clear that these two forms of Homo could interbreed. However, there is so little Denisovan fossil material, generalizations about Denisovan mitochondrial haplotypes would seem to be premature.

Comment

Thanks guys for the inputs…

Y-chromosomal Adam and mitochondrial Eve are not to be equated with biblical Adam & Eve.
        I wonder why the science chooses that titles “Adam & Eve”; unless if it’s willing to give some credits to the biblical fans for "political" reasons!!!

I have seen some articles indicate that a Neanderthals might be mated with Homo sapiens; I’m not sure about their credibility…

As has been said, the development of mitochondria has preceded ahead in the development of Y-chromosomes, which are not parallel to each other’s. Is that gape timeline affecting how much Mt-Eve’s evolved more than Y-Adam’s?

One of the spotlights, a study field focus about the Lifespan, Stating “Eve live longer” (cases Applicable to most other species female gender outside human kingdom)

Is it because the life habits or it is a biological mechanism due to the genome evolution?

What do you think?

Comment

A number of scientists are sometimes a little flippant or cute (technically, we might call it "ironic") with their terminology. As one who was paying attention to DNA way back then, that's how we got the at first joking term "junk DNA", which, in spite of considerable evidence to the contrary, was later taken seriously! Now we find numerous studies declaring that "junk DNA" wasn't "junk" after all, but has various actual functions -- no surprise for me, because "junk DNA" was known all along to be highly conserved evolutionarily. Calling the logical root of the evolutionary trees of the Y chromosome and the mitochondrial DNA (as they are currently known, still subject to revision) "Adam" and "Eve" has no political or spiritual significance, it is simply cute.

It is now a certainty that Neanderthal DNA and Denisovan DNA is to some extent present in modern humans, so yes, they did at some point all interbreed.

Mitochondrial DNA and the Y chromosome are inherited by completely different mechanisms, so it is no surprise that they have evolved separately. Whether there is any difference in their actual antiquity, I don't think we can be sure, because their respective haplotrees are still being worked out, and we have so far very little fossil material through which we can calibrate the assumed biological clocks that are supposed to govern mutation rates in each system. There are many puzzles that need to be resolved, I don't think we are there yet!

Finally, there is abundant study and also abundant speculation about lifespans and the factors (including genetic) that may influence them. These areas, too, are far from settled as to causes. The armchair scientist needs to pay attention these days! There is much to learn, and much to reflect on.

Comment

Working...
          X