Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Sephardic Jewish Question

Hi everyone

I recently had a familytreedna autosomnal test done and it came back with the following:

British Isles 57%
    Scandinavia 37%
    Southeast Europe 3%
    Sephardic Jewish 3%

I also uploaded my results to Myheritage and got the following results

Irish, Scottish, Welsh 88.6%
    Scandinavian 10.3%
    Finnish 1.1%

To put the above results in some perspective I have traced my family tree back to before the 1800s in most directions. I know who all my great great Grandparents were and I have nearly all my great great great grandparents.

All the above hail from the British Isles and Ireland and there are no obvious connections with Continental Europe or Scandinavia.

It is puzzling then why there is such a strong Scandinavian component. I understand that the British and Scandinavian share some dna but 37& is a very high number.

That aside the 3% Sephardic Jewish ancestry is intriguing but it is not replicated in the Myheritage results.

So do I have Sephardic ancestry or not and what is my best way to see whether I really have Continental European or Sephardic ancestry. Are there any online websites that can test my dna after uploading and then clarify the matter further? What is the best way forward?

Thanks Peter

The various ethnic estimates are stabs in the dark of a fluid past.

The best way to determine your actual ancestry is to look at your matches and who you share in common with those matches.

If you have Sephardic Jewish ancestry you will have multiple matches that share people with clearly Jewish surnames.

If you have Scandinavian ancestry you will have multiple matches that share people with clearly Scandinavian surnames.

You do have to properly build a paper trail with matches. If a sibling of one of your British ancestors was a sailor you could have cousins in many different countries, but no ancestors from those countries.

To see matches from Ancestry and 23andme upload your raw DNA data to GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbirk View Post
      The various ethnic estimates are stabs in the dark of a fluid past.
      I do like the way you put that! Very evocative.

The rest of your post was good advice, too.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbirk View Post
        [----] You do have to properly build a paper trail with matches. If a sibling of one of your British ancestors was a sailor you could have cousins in many different countries, but no ancestors from those countries. [----]
        A convincing example

Other scenarios are possible. A soldier in Napoleonic wars (thus born before 1800!, so just outside of your paper trail) or a merchant who moved to the Netherlands and happened to be married to his cousin and your cousin too, consequently their descendants show a little bit closer to you in DNA.

Mr. W.

P.S.
        100% agree with KATM above

Comment

Working...
        X