Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cousin in common between my dad and mum

Hello everyone,

My mum, my dad, my son, and I have a cousin in common to all of us!

My parents come from very different lineages, and from different towns in Lombardy (Italy).

The quantity of shared At-Dna is:

x cousin/my mother! = 14,01CM
    x cousin/my father!= 13,01CM
    x cousin/ME = 20,07CM and 2 segments
    x cousin/my son= 14,02

I need someone to help me to interpretate the meaning of these matches

Thank you a lot and have a great week!

Have you established that the new match actually matches all of your kits on the same segment? It is entirely possible that the new match descends from a marriage between one of your very distant paternal relatives and a very distant maternal relative. Matches on the order of 10-30 cM are very weak, likely no closer than third cousins, and possibly much more remote. Even if you and your match have very deep pedigrees with no gaps, you still may not be able to prove where the connection is, if indeed a connection can be found at all. Most of us don't have pedigrees what are complete enough and sufficiently well documented. If there are other known relatives that you can test, you MIGHT be able to narrow the possibilities somewhat.

Comment

Hi keyhook, I assume the analyses are from Family Finder. Are your kits on GEDmatch? What about the cousin?

What relationship levels are predicted with the cousin?

Jack

Comment

I haven't checked gedmatch yet. I will do it soon.

The predicted relationship is from 3rd to distant cousin for all of us in MyHeritage.

Thank you Jack!

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
        Hi keyhook, I assume the analyses are from Family Finder. Are your kits on GEDmatch? What about the cousin?

What relationship levels are predicted with the cousin?

Jack

Comment

I have my family tree from 1650 and I can't see any possibility of a union between the two families at any point of the tree. My mother lineage comes from a town on the border italy/switzerland and my father from a town 25 miles south of Milan. Same region but in the old times were considered two different large "feudo" in a very populated region. It is impossible that my parents have had a common ancestor. Unless the test matches for a mere casualty with similar DNA in the region. At least, I think so.

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
          Have you established that the new match actually matches all of your kits on the same segment? It is entirely possible that the new match descends from a marriage between one of your very distant paternal relatives and a very distant maternal relative. Matches on the order of 10-30 cM are very weak, likely no closer than third cousins, and possibly much more remote. Even if you and your match have very deep pedigrees with no gaps, you still may not be able to prove where the connection is, if indeed a connection can be found at all. Most of us don't have pedigrees what are complete enough and sufficiently well documented. If there are other known relatives that you can test, you MIGHT be able to narrow the possibilities somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by keyhook View Post
            Hello everyone,

My mum, my dad, my son, and I have a cousin in common to all of us!

My parents come from very different lineages, and from different towns in Lombardy (Italy).

The quantity of shared At-Dna is:

x cousin/my mother! = 14,01CM
            x cousin/my father!= 13,01CM
            x cousin/ME = 20,07CM and 2 segments
            x cousin/my son= 14,02

I need someone to help me to interpretate the meaning of these matches

Thank you a lot and have a great week!
            Do your parents share any DNA to each other on the X Chromosome above 10 cM? Remember if you are a female you have 2 X Chromosomes one from your mother and one from your father. Just because your parents share a match doesn't mean your parents are related to the person through a common ancestor, each of your parents have thousands of ancestors and this person could be related to your parents through completely different ancestors. A match showing up in both parents match lists is fairly common and most of the time will be related to both sides of the family in different ways to each parent.

Comment

They don't share X chromosome and the test on Gedmatch says that my parents are not related between them while at the same time on Gedmatch I have found other two more common cousins.

Originally posted by travers View Post
              Do your parents share any DNA to each other on the X Chromosome above 10 cM? Remember if you are a female you have 2 X Chromosomes one from your mother and one from your father. Just because your parents share a match doesn't mean your parents are related to the person through a common ancestor, each of your parents have thousands of ancestors and this person could be related to your parents through completely different ancestors. A match showing up in both parents match lists is fairly common and most of the time will be related to both sides of the family in different ways to each parent.

Comment

Working...
              X