Y-111 and Matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-111 and Matches

I just got back my Y-111 results. At the 67-marker level, I have six matches. At the next level, nothing. Only two of the matches at 67 have taken the Y-111. Should I discount them as false positives? They have different surnames and a genetic distance of 7. With the rest, is it fair to say I can't really tell much without them upgrading to the Y-111?

Having Y DNA "matches" may not be very helpful. They have to be close enough to be meaningful in terms of your research goals. What you want is VERY CLOSE matches that have some apparent genealogical connection to you, such as the same surname, or a surname that you recognize from a particular area where your patrilineal ancestors lived.

Comment

Haha this is true. When you put it like that, I have absolutely no useful matches, only some weird occurrences. For example, at the 12 marker, I share matches with 14 people who share the same last name, who's ancestral home for the surname is right next door to the ancestral home for my surname. They drop off when I get above that level, so it's kind of a dead end, but still interesting.

Comment

So, what if you have an exact match on the 12 marker, and the name of the man is the same as an ancestor I've heard about? Since it's on the 12 marker, I assume that means that the intersetion between my DNA and his DNA goes back 5 or more generations -- is that correct? If I understand this stuff correctly, it would be more meaningful to have an exact match (or a close match) on the 111 marker and a recognized surname from your family, right?

Comment

Be patient, you have done the right thing by testing at over 66 markers, because high matches over 66 markers will be worth investigating regardless of the surname use of the sampler at those levels. At less than 37 markers, not so much. We can only hope that the Y STR stays in the marketplace for more future samplers, or that the Y sequencing tests result in comparable over- 111 STR matching in the future (it does not with current online matching). An exact 12 marker match does not mean much until you can see that in a pool of more-than-12-marker men who can be posited through genealogy as probably sharing a common ancestor. Having the "name of the man [as] an ancestor I've heard about" does not make that man provably relatable to you at 12 markers, but we have men on our project who are "paper-trailed" to our ancestor and will not expand their markers beyond 12 because they are satisfied (I am not).
          Last edited by clintonslayton76; 18 January 2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LynnZee View Post
            So, what if you have an exact match on the 12 marker, and the name of the man is the same as an ancestor I've heard about? Since it's on the 12 marker, I assume that means that the intersetion between my DNA and his DNA goes back 5 or more generations -- is that correct? If I understand this stuff correctly, it would be more meaningful to have an exact match (or a close match) on the 111 marker and a recognized surname from your family, right?
            Did both of you test more than 12 markers? Also 12 marker results can be wildly misleading. I have Y-12 GD0 & GD1 matches who have Yfull MRCA estimates ranging from 1600 years ago (1 "step back" down the haplotree) to 5,000 years ago(8 "steps back" on the Yfull tree). And it is the GD0 match on 12 markers who has the MRCA at an estimated 5 thousand years ago, and 8 branches back on the haplotree.

And while I'm GD0 with my father on Y12,I'm GD1 by Y-25, and GD2 by Y-37, so the utility of the TiP Calculator cannot be underscored enough. Even if it is only giving me a 53.47% chance of having a MRCA with my own father within 1 previous generation at 111 markers. Could be worse, at Y12 it says I have a 9.72% chance of sharing an ancestor with him within a generation, and it doesn't exceed a 50% chance until we get 7 generations out.

Also note: You can use the TiP Calculator to test at more markers than where you match at, so long as both of you have tested to that level.

Comment

Working...
            X