Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRNewcomb
    replied
    None of the Newcombs I match with on the Y-chromosome also match in FF. One of them has a 5.3 cM match on GEDmatch.

Leave a comment:

• jbaker
    replied
    Thanks for the book reference. I will take a look at it.

So if I am trying to solve for my missing paternal great grand father I would have to work 2 different channels?

1. Would be the 7 YDNA37 links that have no surnames showing in my family tree but calculate to %60 in 4 generations and 98% in 10 generations.

and

2. Would be looking at the thousands of Autosomal links that also have no known surnames and are not associated with the other lines in my tree.

I have successfully chased down all my other lines to the 10th generation including a very closely related previously unkown NPE on my mothers side but still cannot seem to figure out my missing great grand father. It is like a DNA/Document/Anecdotal black hole.

Leave a comment:

• MoberlyDrake
    replied
    No, not unless Fred is a close relative and shares the same patrilineal line with you. Family Finder covers recent generations and a Y-DNA match can back many many generations, even if it's a match with a small genetic distance.

With Family Finder you match fewer and fewer cousins the further back you go: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...finder-detect/

You might want to get a copy of the book The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy by Blaine T. Bettinger.

Leave a comment:

• jbaker
    started a topic YDNA & Autosomal Connections

YDNA & Autosomal Connections

Hello all,

Noob here. Should I expect someone I am related to to show up on both a YDNA test and an Autosomal DNA test? For example on the YDNA 37 test I have a link to Fred and on Fred's account he shows having taken both the YDNA 37 and the Family Finder test should I expect Fred to show up as a connection on both?

Thanks,

jon
Working...
X