Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How (and whether) to order FF after Ancestry V2 transfer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DigitalDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    You have never tried to get FTDNA to combine two accounts have you?
    Not quite. I did ask whether it was possible to combine the Y-37 that I ordered last week and an FF that I ordered today into a single account. The FTDNA rep acted like it would be a major problem. However I didn't ask specifically whether the accounts could be combined. It was going to be my next question, but the rep's attitude left me feeling there was no point in asking any more.

It's now after 4:30pm Central, so the Father's Day sale has ended. There's no longer any urgency.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    Originally posted by travers View Post
    If you really want Family Finder order it to a new account, then it might be easier later when you get results to ask customer service to delete the transfer from the 1st account and then combine the two accounts into one. Personally, I would agree with them that it isn't that beneficial to most people to do Family Finder if you've already done a transfer. Obviously there will be differing views on that and some people like investigating the smaller matches or at least knowing they're there.
    You have never tried to get FTDNA to combine two accounts have you?

Leave a comment:

• DigitalDragon
    replied
    It's clear that I don't yet understand DNA well enough to make an informed purchase, so I'm holding off on ordering any other DNA tests until after I get my Y-37 results.

If Y-37 proves my grandfather was actually my grandfather, then I don't need anything more. I can move on to other parts of the family tree. It's only if Y-37 shows what I suspect, that my real grandfather was someone else (or worse, that it shows nothing at all) that I'd need as many speculative matches as possible. If my suspicions are correct, my real grandfather was my grandfather's cousin. The cousin's father was unknown, so I'd have probably have a lot of sleuthing to do to make a connection. But depending on Y-37, it might not be necessary,

I'll know more after I get my Y-37 results. I mailed the swabs today.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by DigitalDragon; 18 June 2018, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• georgian1950
    replied
    Yes but this way he can still get the sales price. Almost everybody would disagree with your viewpoints on 1 cM matches and they won't come into play anyways in this case of looking for a grandfather. If you have done a study on 1 cM segments that differ from the consensus in the genetic genealogy community you should submit your study for peer review as has been suggested many times to you.
    Sales price, plus an additional sampling collection fee.

I am working on something, but I wouldn't expect to get impartial consideration from a peer review.

Jack

Leave a comment:

• travers
    replied
    Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
    Of course, Erik ends up with two different samples (and sampling fees) that way.

My best advances have been from using 1.0 cM minimum segment size with FF Chromosome Browser. With the number of SNPs that FTDNA uses with the small segments, there is no false-positive problem. The current thinking on distant matching methodology is basically one bad assumption piled upon others. That is why no one can figure out anything more than a few generations back.

Jack
    Yes but this way he can still get the sales price. Almost everybody would disagree with your viewpoints on 1 cM matches and they won't come into play anyways in this case of looking for a grandfather. If you have done a study on 1 cM segments that differ from the consensus in the genetic genealogy community you should submit your study for peer review as has been suggested many times to you.

Leave a comment:

• georgian1950
    replied
    If you really want Family Finder order it to a new account, then it might be easier later when you get results to ask customer service to delete the transfer from the 1st account and then combine the two accounts into one. Personally, I would agree with them that it isn't that beneficial to most people to do Family Finder if you've already done a transfer. Obviously there will be differing views on that and some people like investigating the smaller matches or at least knowing they're there.
    Of course, Erik ends up with two different samples (and sampling fees) that way.

My best advances have been from using 1.0 cM minimum segment size with FF Chromosome Browser. With the number of SNPs that FTDNA uses with the small segments, there is no false-positive problem. The current thinking on distant matching methodology is basically one bad assumption piled upon others. That is why no one can figure out anything more than a few generations back.

Jack

Leave a comment:

• travers
    replied
    Originally posted by DigitalDragon View Post
    One thing that bothers me about both my calls to FTDNA was that the two people I spoke with never asked or cared about why I was doing the test. I would think that, for example, testing to learn my ancient origins or to learn the identity of my grandfather (my goal) would present a different set of factors to consider in deciding whether to do the FF test or stick with my AncestryDNA upload. I would expect that when I did the AncestryDNA test should also be a factor. The two FTDNA reps I spoke with however could only repeat that there was no point in doing an FF test if I'd already been tested at Ancestry.

It left me with the feeling that these are simply call center personnel who know little about DNA. True or not, it's very disappointing for a company like FTDNA.
    Erik

Leave a comment:

• DigitalDragon
    replied
    One thing that bothers me about both my calls to FTDNA was that the two people I spoke with never asked or cared about why I was doing the test. I would think that, for example, testing to learn my ancient origins or to learn the identity of my grandfather (my goal) would present a different set of factors to consider in deciding whether to do the FF test or stick with my AncestryDNA upload. I would expect that when I did the AncestryDNA test should also be a factor. The two FTDNA reps I spoke with however could only repeat that there was no point in doing an FF test if I'd already been tested at Ancestry.

It left me with the feeling that these are simply call center personnel who know little about DNA. True or not, it's very disappointing for a company like FTDNA.
    Erik
    Last edited by DigitalDragon; 18 June 2018, 12:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• georgian1950
    replied
    I phoned FTDNA today. I was ready to order the FF, but just like last week, the person I spoke with today insisted there was no advantage to getting a new FF test if I already had an AncestryDNA upload. He made me feel like a fool for even asking.

Erik
    Wow! Thanks for passing that on.

Jack

Leave a comment:

• DigitalDragon
    replied
    I phoned FTDNA today. I was ready to order the FF, but just like last week, the person I spoke with today insisted there was no advantage to getting a new FF test if I already had an AncestryDNA upload. He made me feel like a fool for even asking.

Erik
    Last edited by DigitalDragon; 18 June 2018, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    Jim and Jack-
    I've been doing genealogy for decades, but am new to DNA, so I want to make sure I understand. When I put these two statements together, am I reading them correctly as saying that FTDNA's new chip will likely have fewer markers than the chip FTDNA currently uses, but more than the chip used by Ancestry V2?

If this is the case, I'm wondering whether I should delete my AncestryDNA upload and do the FF test sooner rather than later (and maybe now because the Father's Day sale ends tomorrow). Could you give me links to where I can find more information to guide my decision, particularly about how inferior the new chip might be for finding the true identities of my paternal grandfather and his father?

I am doing my Y-37 swabs today and will ship them tomorrow.
    Erik
    I can't give you a link because the comment I heard was verbal. You might check the link posted above.

Leave a comment:

• KATM
    replied
    In March 2018, I made a wordy post about the blog reports (with quotes) from the November Genetic Genealogy conference in Houston. There are two links confirming what was announced about the chip changes to come.

Leave a comment:

• georgian1950
    replied
    I am not having much luck in finding the FTDNA statement from last November, but I believe the company has not yet announced how many SNP's will be retained. If only 50,000 get dropped that will not be too bad. However if it was 200,000, that would be another matter.

Another problem was that implementation was expected to be before now.

Jack

Leave a comment:

• DigitalDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
    ... the current chipset used for FF is being phased out by the manufacturer. At any time FTDNA could start using the new chipset, but it is not clear how many of the SNP's which FF now uses will be retained. The last chance for getting the old test may be coming very soon, or you could order but get the newer (but likely inferior for genetic matching) test...
    Jack
    Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    When FTDNA has to change chips they will go to a specially modified chip that will contain more markers than the chip currently being used by Ancestry. They announced this last November.
    Jim and Jack-
    I've been doing genealogy for decades, but am new to DNA, so I want to make sure I understand. When I put these two statements together, am I reading them correctly as saying that FTDNA's new chip will likely have fewer markers than the chip FTDNA currently uses, but more than the chip used by Ancestry V2?

If this is the case, I'm wondering whether I should delete my AncestryDNA upload and do the FF test sooner rather than later (and maybe now because the Father's Day sale ends tomorrow). Could you give me links to where I can find more information to guide my decision, particularly about how inferior the new chip might be for finding the true identities of my paternal grandfather and his father?

I am doing my Y-37 swabs today and will ship them tomorrow.
    Erik
    Last edited by DigitalDragon; 17 June 2018, 01:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    When FTDNA has to change chips they will go to a specially modified chip that will contain more markers than the chip currently being used by Ancestry. They announced this last November.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X