How (and whether) to order FF after Ancestry V2 transfer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • travers
    FTDNA Customer
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
    Of course, Erik ends up with two different samples (and sampling fees) that way.

My best advances have been from using 1.0 cM minimum segment size with FF Chromosome Browser. With the number of SNPs that FTDNA uses with the small segments, there is no false-positive problem. The current thinking on distant matching methodology is basically one bad assumption piled upon others. That is why no one can figure out anything more than a few generations back.

Jack
    Yes but this way he can still get the sales price. Almost everybody would disagree with your viewpoints on 1 cM matches and they won't come into play anyways in this case of looking for a grandfather. If you have done a study on 1 cM segments that differ from the consensus in the genetic genealogy community you should submit your study for peer review as has been suggested many times to you.

Comment

• georgian1950
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by travers View Post
      Yes but this way he can still get the sales price. Almost everybody would disagree with your viewpoints on 1 cM matches and they won't come into play anyways in this case of looking for a grandfather. If you have done a study on 1 cM segments that differ from the consensus in the genetic genealogy community you should submit your study for peer review as has been suggested many times to you.
      Sales price, plus an additional sampling collection fee.

I am working on something, but I wouldn't expect to get impartial consideration from a peer review.

Jack

Comment

• DigitalDragon
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jun 2018

It's clear that I don't yet understand DNA well enough to make an informed purchase, so I'm holding off on ordering any other DNA tests until after I get my Y-37 results.

If Y-37 proves my grandfather was actually my grandfather, then I don't need anything more. I can move on to other parts of the family tree. It's only if Y-37 shows what I suspect, that my real grandfather was someone else (or worse, that it shows nothing at all) that I'd need as many speculative matches as possible. If my suspicions are correct, my real grandfather was my grandfather's cousin. The cousin's father was unknown, so I'd have probably have a lot of sleuthing to do to make a connection. But depending on Y-37, it might not be necessary,

I'll know more after I get my Y-37 results. I mailed the swabs today.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.
        Last edited by DigitalDragon; 18 June 2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Jim Barrett
          R-BY55907
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by travers View Post
          If you really want Family Finder order it to a new account, then it might be easier later when you get results to ask customer service to delete the transfer from the 1st account and then combine the two accounts into one. Personally, I would agree with them that it isn't that beneficial to most people to do Family Finder if you've already done a transfer. Obviously there will be differing views on that and some people like investigating the smaller matches or at least knowing they're there.
          You have never tried to get FTDNA to combine two accounts have you?

Comment

• DigitalDragon
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
            You have never tried to get FTDNA to combine two accounts have you?
            Not quite. I did ask whether it was possible to combine the Y-37 that I ordered last week and an FF that I ordered today into a single account. The FTDNA rep acted like it would be a major problem. However I didn't ask specifically whether the accounts could be combined. It was going to be my next question, but the rep's attitude left me feeling there was no point in asking any more.

It's now after 4:30pm Central, so the Father's Day sale has ended. There's no longer any urgency.

Comment

Working...
            X