Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family Finder vs AncestryDNA for maternal grandfather

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Family Finder vs AncestryDNA for maternal grandfather

    I've been researching who my real paternal grandfather was and have just realized there might also be a question about my maternal grandfather. I uploaded my AncestryDNA test results last year to FTDNA, My Heritage, and GEDMatch, but so far have gotten no DNA matches matching anyone in my maternal grandfather's family.

    I've ordered a Y-37 test for my paternal grandfather, but that obviously won't help with my maternal grandfather. Would taking FTDNA's Family Finder autosomal test be likely to provide any more useful information about my grandparents and great-grandparents (on both sides) than what I already have from the AncestryDNA test? I'm on a limited income and can't afford to throw money away on tests that are likely to produce similar results, but will spend the money if there's a reasonable chance of it yielding useful new information.

  • #2
    Have you uploaded your Ancestry results to FTDNA? It costs $20. They will only show your matches here to about 3rd cousin based on an Ancestry transfer, so you won't get to see your more distant matches here like you would if you bought a test here. However, if you are looking for really close relatives on your maternal grandfather's side, that may be acceptable to you.

    Do you have any cousins who are direct male descendants of your maternal grandfather? If so, you could ask one of them to do a 37 marker Y-DNA test. They might be willing to pay themselves, or you could offer to pay for them and you could manage their account.

    DNA tests are on sale through Jun 18.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, I uploaded to FTDNA last year. I have second cousin matches on FTDNA and first cousin matches on My Heritage with whom I have no common surnames. If the FTDNA autosomal test reveals more distant cousins, that might be an advantage to taking it in addition to the Ancestry test because it could help establish links.

      I do have two male cousins who are my maternal grandfather's descendants, but unfortunately I don't see any chance of them cooperating.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
        Have you uploaded your Ancestry results to FTDNA? It costs $20. They will only show your matches here to about 3rd cousin based on an Ancestry transfer, so you won't get to see your more distant matches here like you would if you bought a test here. ...
        I tried ordering an FF DNA test this morning, but I got the error message that "it already exists", I assume because I ordered the $19 Autosomal Transfer Unlock when I transferred my AncestryDNA results last year, which gave me access to the Family Finder Matrix. Would getting a separate FF DNA test really produce more distant matches than what I have now, and if so, how would I do it considering that FTDNA doesn't seem to be allowing me to order the FF DNA test?
        Last edited by DigitalDragon; 15 June 2018, 03:13 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Your transfered data is one "kit". If you want FTDNA to test your DNA that would be a different kit. Their system does not permit multiple data sets (kits) to be managed under a single account. Each "kit" becomes a separate account.

          Comment


          • #6
            I've just phoned FTDNA customer service. I was told that any differences between the test results I uploaded from AncestryDNA and an FF test would be negligible. He recommended not doing the FF test since I've already uploaded my AncestryDNA results.

            Instead, I'll wait to get my Y-37 results and if necessary, will put the money I would spend on the FF test toward a Y-67 or Y-111 upgrade.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DigitalDragon View Post
              I've just phoned FTDNA customer service. I was told that any differences between the test results I uploaded from AncestryDNA and an FF test would be negligible. He recommended not doing the FF test since I've already uploaded my AncestryDNA results.

              I see that you uploaded you AncestryDNA test to Family finder last year. When did you actually take the AncestryDNA test?

              Jack

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
                I see that you uploaded you AncestryDNA test to Family finder last year. When did you actually take the AncestryDNA test?
                I got the results in June 2017 and I think sent them my saliva that April. The test used AncestryDNA array version V2.0.

                Erik

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DigitalDragon View Post
                  I got the results in June 2017 and I think sent them my saliva that April. The test used AncestryDNA array version V2.0.

                  Erik
                  Thanks.

                  That customer service agent is obfuscating. You don't get speculative matches. Yes both versions will pick up close matches. However, because of a lot fewer SNP's being compared, the AncestryDNA V2 kits get progressively worse on comparisons the further back you go.

                  I've made my best discoveries using Family Finder. If a had a crippled kit like the AncestryDNA V2 as my data on Family Finder, I seriously doubt I would know as much today.

                  Jack

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
                    Thanks.

                    That customer service agent is obfuscating ... I've made my best discoveries using Family Finder. If a had a crippled kit like the AncestryDNA V2 as my data on Family Finder, I eriously doubt I would know as much today.

                    Jack
                    It looks like I have to open a separate account to order an FF test. The website gives me the error message that I can't order an FF test "because it already exists or is not allowed". What are the ramifications if I have the Y-37 test I've just ordered in the same account as my AncestryDNA results and my FF results in a different account?
                    Last edited by DigitalDragon; 15 June 2018, 09:22 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DigitalDragon View Post
                      It looks like I have to open a separate account to order an FF test. The website gives me the error message that I can't order an FF test "because it already exists or is not allowed". What are the consequences if I have the Y-37 test I've just ordered in the same account as my AncestryDNA results and my FF results in a different account?
                      I am not sure what the answer is. I don't see much coordination of Y-DNA and Family Finder test results, so I am not sure whether having two accounts would matter. However FTDNA needs to be attentive to its systems.

                      I wonder if anyone else knows a solution.

                      Jack

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X