GedMatch GEDCOM HIDDEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GedMatch GEDCOM HIDDEN

I assume GDPR is responsible for all the living people in my GedMatch GEDCOM getting changed to:
    HIDDEN HIDDEN (b. HIDDEN)

Surely there is a way to accept responsibility for displaying the data, I just can't figure out how.

What I read was that GDPR regulations apply to organizations.
    If that is true, and if it is true only organizations, not individuals can be fined for violating the GDPR rules, then I would expect there is no way for an individual "to accept responsibility for displaying the data"

Comment

There has to be a way, eventually, for individuals to give permission to display their own names etc.! We will need patience to see how this all plays out. At the moment, it is an absurd manifestation of EU bureaucracy.

Comment

GDPR

Originally posted by loobster View Post
        What I read was that GDPR regulations apply to organizations.
        If that is true, and if it is true only organizations, not individuals can be fined for violating the GDPR rules, then I would expect there is no way for an individual "to accept responsibility for displaying the data"
        It says quite clearly:
        May 26, 2018 We are still working to hide GEDCOM entries for Living individuals, as required by GDPR. Until we complete this effort, you will likely see many entries hidden.

There must be a way for me to unhide my family ...

Comment

Originally posted by Grika View Post
          ....There must be a way for me to unhide my family ...
          I ran into a situation when I first signed up for GEDmatch, that I found myself listed with all my birth information, etc. I fussed at the person who posted the tree (a distant cousin of my wife) about respecting the privacy of living people and she removed the tree. I think GEDmatch is trying to do the right thing. The issue is that the way that they read and interpret GEDCOMs is screwy. For instance, if you have an ALT name, GEDmatch latches onto the alternate in preference to the main one. I've also had some births and deaths show up as occurring at the Library of Congress because GEDmatch misread the location information for the last person in the GEDCOM as being the location of the last cited reference. They don't seem to read the "DEAT Y" tag that indicates that the person has died but rely on an actual death date. I hope they get the HIDDEN situation fixed PDQ. It's a bit of a pain knowing that someone died in the 1700s but is listed as HIDDEN to protect his privacy.
          Last edited by DRNewcomb; 22 June 2018, 09:08 AM.

Comment

The difficulties that GEDmatch has experienced in reading GEDCOM files from diverse sources have been around for a very long time -- at least a couple years. This includes the anomalies concerning alternative names, multiple marriages, sources listed instead of people, etc. They predate ALL of the GDPR nonsense and have nothing to do with the current effort to remove information about living people in GEDCOM's posted on GEDmatch. So no, these strange results do not have anything to do with GEDmatch misinterpreting the GDPR, byzantine though it is. However, the idea that no information on living persons can be displayed in a GEDCOM file is nonsense, particularly when the person in question is the person who submitted the file and who thus gave implicit and positive direction to display the information. There are times, sometimes very long times, when we must wait for sanity to be restored.

Comment

Working...
            X