Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Descendant of Zheng He's discovery of America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descendant of Zheng He's discovery of America?

Take a look at Ysearch entry N92EW:

http://www.ysearch.org/search_view.asp?viewuid=N92EW

Notice that the haplogroup is O, the great-grandfather's name is Montgomery, from North Carolina. One might suspect a recent "non-paternal event" with an East Asian as the biological father, but that would have resulted in some degree of East Asian ('Oriental' or 'Mongoloid') facial features, and consequent serious doubt as to paternity. The entry's information gives no hint of any such doubt.

And the haplogroup designation is no mistake. Montgomery's nearest matches are a Singaporean and a Filipino:

http://www.ysearch.org/search_result...ting_marker=11

As you may know, a serious claim has arisen recently as to whether the Chinese actually encountered ('discovered') America in the 1400s, well before Columbus:

http://www.1421.tv/

Wouldn't it be amazing if this Mr. Montgomery were a descendant of someone on one of Zheng He's ships?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet

TU5NH, a Sanders from Tennessee, is also designated as yDNA haplogroup O, but he has a couple of very close matches with the same surname, one of which is marked as haplogroup C3:

http://www.ysearch.org/search_result...rting_marker=8

Unfortunately, we don't know whether either has tested SNPs.

Comment

5XR59, a Freeman from North Carolina, is marked as Hg O3, but most of his close matches are Q or Q3, including a very close one with the same surname:

http://www.ysearch.org/search_result...ting_marker=18

Perhaps he simply read his results wrong! Q can look like an O if you're not wearing your glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka
        As you may know, a serious claim has arisen recently as to whether the Chinese actually encountered ('discovered') America in the 1400s, well before Columbus:
        Columbus- he was drunkard number one

Comment

Descendant of Zhang He???

The title of the thread needs clarification. Zhang He could not have had descendants as he had been castrated as a young boy . Refer to Nat Geo's cover story on the Admiral.
          Last edited by Kaiser; 23 June 2006, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka
            Take a look at Ysearch entry N92EW:

http://www.ysearch.org/search_view.asp?viewuid=N92EW

Notice that the haplogroup is O, the great-grandfather's name is Montgomery, from North Carolina. One might suspect a recent "non-paternal event" with an East Asian as the biological father, but that would have resulted in some degree of East Asian ('Oriental' or 'Mongoloid') facial features, and consequent serious doubt as to paternity. The entry's information gives no hint of any such doubt.

And the haplogroup designation is no mistake. Montgomery's nearest matches are a Singaporean and a Filipino:

http://www.ysearch.org/search_result...ting_marker=11

http://www.1421.tv/

Wouldn't it be amazing if this Mr. Montgomery were a descendant of someone on one of Zheng He's ships?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet
            READ America BC by barry pell

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser
              The title of the thread needs clarification. Zhang He could not have had descendants as he had been castrated as a young boy .
              That'll spoil your weekend!

The title of the thread reads: Descendant of Zheng He's discovery of America?, not Descendant of Zheng He?.

I did not understand Igmayka to be saying that these folks were possibly descendants of the Admiral himself. I understood him to be saying that Zheng He's alleged "discovery" of America was responsible, i.e., by bringing Chinese sailors and their y-dna to the Western Hemisphere.

Personally, I suspect some much more prosaic reason for the presence of Oriental y-dna in 21st-century America. We just don't know enough about the background of these folks to know what that is.

Comment

Oriental DNA in the USA

Another tangle in this USA haplogroup O thread:

My male relative was first proclaimed 'O', then 'Q'. My mtdna test has 2 near matches in Japan. Our family has been on U.S. soil since 1598 (documented). BUT...our 10th greatgrandmother was a Zuni Indian. Read THE ZUNI ENIGMA by Nancy Yaw Davis. She proposes a Japanese/Zuni connection.

A more likely scenerio for 'O' in your/my genes is that:
                The Huns who swept through Asia into Europe contributed haplogroup O to the European gene pool. Check the mutation rates in your test results.
                Last edited by ; 30 October 2006, 01:55 PM. Reason: to add more information...

Comment

China-woman:

so is your relative Q or O?

Q is more likely in Europe, there are a few, not particularly many, but a noticeable number. And they came to Europe as you say, through invasions of Huns and other Turkic tribes (as well as possibly people living in the Arctic regions). I don't think there is much O in Europe, and from previous posts in this forum, it appears that the European O's were instead misclassified N (the brother clade) or Q. O of course is very typical Chinese.

What is your mtdna haplogroup? If your maternal ancestor was a Zuni Indian, then it should be A,B,C or D.

cacio

Comment

There's also the Manila Galleon trade industry, which began in 1565, that created a direct route between the American continent and China, the Philippines and India. I've read reports that Mexican Indian men traveled on these ships and married women from the countries I mentioned and brought them back with them. Other people were brought back as slaves. And some people just boarded these ships on their own just to come to the American continent.

Take a look at this website. Toward the very bottom there's a picture of a Chinese woman named Hermilianda Wong Chew who is dressed like a Yaqui Indian. The article is an interview about the early 1900's.

http://www.texancultures.utsa.edu/me...transcript.htm

The interviewer asks the following question:

"Did you have a Chinese cook that married a Mexican woman there?

Of that crowd, no, but there were Chinese that I knew later in the Isthmus that had married Mexican women. Some of those Chinese refugees might have had Mexican wives. They probably did, but they didn't bring them to the expedition."

Intermarriage did in fact happen in the past and this might explain why some Native Americans have Asian DNA.
                    Last edited by haplogroupc; 30 October 2006, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Oriental DNA in the USA

My relative's 37 SNP test indicated Haplogroup Q with a 3 step mutation to O and 4 step to R1BC. As to be expected, I am MTDNA Haplogroup A. Thank you for the link to the Texan cultures website. The article was very interesting. However, the time period may be late for my relative's 3 step O. I am not sure about the mutation rate of the above mentioned 3 step. How often is a mutation -500 generations? What is the rate?

Comment

Originally posted by China woman
                        My relative's 37 SNP test indicated Haplogroup Q with a 3 step mutation to O and 4 step to R1BC.
                        I think that haplogroup Q is at least 20,000 years old, so your relative would not have shared a common patrilineal ancestor with haplogroup O in at least that long.

Haplogroup Q is usually associated with Native Americans and Central Asians, though it is rarely found elsewhere as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
                          The title of the thread needs clarification. Zhang He could not have had descendants as he had been castrated as a young boy . Refer to Nat Geo's cover story on the Admiral.
                          They meant Zheng He entourage's descendants, not Zheng He's descendants. But Zheng He indeed has numerous descendants in China. Maybe you are confuse why an eunuch has children. In China it's common to adopt your relative's when you don't have son. So, Zheng He adopted two of his elder brother's sons, then those kids shared the same Y-DNA with him. The descendants of those kids are belong to Y-DNA Haplogroup L1a-M76, which is make sense since Zheng He's paternal ancestor was Sayyid Ajjal Shams al-Din Omar from Bukhara.
                          Last edited by Parameswara; 11 July 2018, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X